Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
TheCamaroKidSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Auto Cyber Grey
New Camaro/New Problem

I'm not 100% sure which topic this thread would go under so I thought I would put it here and let the mod's decide.

First off, this is my "new" 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS. Cyber Grey, no stripes. I say "new" because I've had it for a couple of months but never put it on here before. Named her Lucy (while I was driving it home, I turned the free XM trial on and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was on, thought it was only fitting I named it after that).

Anyways, the main reason for this post is I've been having serious trouble with the brakes on this thing. They work fine, but after I have been driving long distances (about 15+ miles) and try to stop, the brakes squeal REALLY loud.

It will only do this if I drive for a while and only if I ease on the brakes. If I push them in hard, no noise. I have taken it to the dealer several times and they say it's not fixable. They even replaced the brake pads and it stopped for a couple of weeks, but now its doing it again.

The last time I brought it to them about the brake problem, they called GM and GM said it was not a problem, the Brimbo pads will sometimes squeal on a high performance car. Basically, I took that as "well sorry about your luck, we arent fixing it". The dealer also gave me a letter GM sent them saying the same thing (thats what the other attachment is).

Idk what else to do so I thought I would ask some other owners and see if they have the same problem or it you have found a way to fix it. They told me putting more weights on the pads or taking some off wouldnt work for sure but had no other suggestions.
Attached Images

TheCamaroKidSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Can't say I have that problem because my motor is too loud.Lol.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I haven't noticed any squealing but it wouldn't surprise me because after having the car for about a month now the wheels are always covered in brake dust the pads are a very high performance pad. With dust will come noise. If you swap the pads out for something geared more for high mileage it might help. Not sure where you might get them maybe autozone. The pads probably will not cost much but you will most likely lose some braking performance.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamaroKidSS View Post
Anyways, the main reason for this post is I've been having serious trouble with the brakes on this thing. They work fine, but after I have been driving long distances (about 15+ miles) and try to stop, the brakes squeal REALLY loud.

It will only do this if I drive for a while and only if I ease on the brakes. If I push them in hard, no noise. I have taken it to the dealer several times and they say it's not fixable. They even replaced the brake pads and it stopped for a couple of weeks, but now its doing it again.

The last time I brought it to them about the brake problem, they called GM and GM said it was not a problem, the Brimbo pads will sometimes squeal on a high performance car. Basically, I took that as "well sorry about your luck, we arent fixing it". The dealer also gave me a letter GM sent them saying the same thing (thats what the other attachment is).

Idk what else to do so I thought I would ask some other owners and see if they have the same problem or it you have found a way to fix it. They told me putting more weights on the pads or taking some off wouldnt work for sure but had no other suggestions.
Not a camaro owner (yet), but I can speak as a Brembo owner...this is a typical high performance pad problem. Some cars just do it more than others...others just can't be heard. My Z with Brembos will do the same thing at times...and is considered normal. You've got a much harder brake material and it will be prone to this type of noise. It's easy to fix, if you want to lose braking performance...go to O'Reilly's and buy some cheap pads...that's about the only thing that will get rid of it.

As far as GM saying "sorry, we aren't going to fix it"...there is nothing to fix. Our 911 used to squeal something awful too...its not just a Camaro issue...and it isn't a problem.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
I've only got the V6 but I'm having the same exact problem, one time they fixed it at the dealer by saying there was a small piece of metal in between the pad and rotor and it went away for like a week and than came right back, I just don't get it.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Da Hose
ACCOUNT HOZED BY GN......

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS #26731
Break pad squeel

Has anybody tried beveling the edge of the pads a bit? It seemd to help on my 97 T/A.....but I'm having the same issue on my new SS. Just wondered if anybody has already tried?

I'd bet $100 that you smile like that all the time, even in your sleep... and you don't snore when you sleep, you giggle.

Da Hose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Hard pads make noise, but last longer .... Soft pads are just the opposite .....

Just brake harder to reduce the noise ....
Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
I have the same problem with mine. Took it to the dealer and they added some anti-squeal gooey stuff to the back of the pad. It worked for about a month, now the problem is back, just not as bad. Mine does not have the Brembos, so the problem is not exclusive to that type.
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
You posted the wheel weights on the calipers notice, but does yours have them? Mine do and I've only really heard them squeal once. Just curious...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
REEFBLUE93
Account Suspended

Drives: 1993 Rustang
Pretty much any time there is a squeaking noise it is from vibration or something causing vibration. Usually the brake quiet goo along with greasing the caliper pins will stop this.
REEFBLUE93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
I bet this relates to the wheel weights that GM put on the calipers to change the harmonic vibrations, maybe try adding more weights on top of the ones that already exist/

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
I bet this relates to the wheel weights that GM put on the calipers to change the harmonic vibrations, maybe try adding more weights on top of the ones that already exist/
If that were the case, then why do mine squeal? No Brembos on mine and they only put the weights on the Brembos.
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
Sstac

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
I have the SAME color/car as you... and YES I have the sqeaking with my breaks. I have under 500 miles on my car right now... so some people have suggested to wait and see if its still a problem later on. I have slammed my brakes a few times (i'm gonna try that again) to seed them and still a sqeak. I will let you know if I hear an improvement after slamming them again today (it was rainy the last few days).
2000, Accepted By GM
09-1-09
3000, Order accepted by production control 09-1-09 TPW 09-21-09
3300, Order scheduled for production 09/11/09
3400, Order broadcast 09-12-09
3800, Order produced 09-22-09
4000, Available to ship 09-23-09
4200, Shipped 09-24-09
5000, Delivered to the dealer 10/12/09
* Picked up 10/12/09
Sstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Mine squeal a bit, I just turn up the radio.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, camaro, problem, squealing