Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Asphalt Undercoating

I was offered the usual battery of dealer add on stuff today when talking with the finance guy. I didn't sign up for anything. They did have the asphalt type of undercoating available that I thought was interesting. They actually had a car on it's side to show what it looks like. Pretty thorough coating. The price was $399 with a 5 year guarantee. I know some people swear by the Oil Guard type that is sprayed on once a year for about $110. So money wise I would be ahead by having the dealer do their thing. I've never had this done before. Looking for any thoughts and opinions. I live in Ontario. Lots of road salt. This car will NOT be driven in wet slushy conditions, but I am not putting it away every winter either. I would like some extra protection. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 16 Encore, 07 G6, 99 Astro, 16 VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
I was offered the usual battery of dealer add on stuff today when talking with the finance guy. I didn't sign up for anything. They did have the asphalt type of undercoating available that I thought was interesting. They actually had a car on it's side to show what it looks like. Pretty thorough coating. The price was $399 with a 5 year guarantee. I know some people swear by the Oil Guard type that is sprayed on once a year for about $110. So money wise I would be ahead by having the dealer do their thing. I've never had this done before. Looking for any thoughts and opinions. I live in Ontario. Lots of road salt. This car will NOT be driven in wet slushy conditions, but I am not putting it way every winter either. I would like some extra protection. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
Never ever buy that stuff, it is not worth the money and your car already comes with a 5 year 100,000 mile rust through warrenty.. and putting on any rust proofing prodiuct will void the factory warrenty on rust through also many times they clog up the engineered drains on cars and cause water to be trapped inside. If you check that company will probably not even be around in 5 years...
Old 11-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
I undercoated mine for sound deadining,I've driven with and without like it for the quieter ride. I undercoated mine on my own though didnt pay the heavy price tag.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
It also adds WEIGHT. Skip it.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: Demon Super Sport
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's creative but unnecessary. I would offer kudos to the dealer for trying something creative, but that would go against my usual treatment of dealers in my posts.
SUBJ: Operation Demon//
REF: Buy at Invoice, RACECARWEAR
1. RESPECT ALL CARS. LOVE YOUR OWN.//BT
warn 145:155 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
SQUALO

Drives: LT/RS Hyper Blue white rally stripe
I decided not to do anything to mine, but then again it's not my daily driver, and will never see the s**w.

I've used the yearly oil sprays on previous cars, and it doesn't do any better a job, than I could by washing my vehicles regularly, even in winter.
As mentioned by someone else, I to once had a car of mine sprayed, with a multi-year warranty coating, and the company went belly up before half my warranty was done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's up to you...I know that wasn't much help...sorry.

#HumboldtStrong
(April 6, 2018)

#TorontoStrong

(April 23, 2018)
SQUALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Oil is the best, those coatings will trap in moisture and salt if the coating gets cracked or damaged somehow, and will make things worse. And you will not know if it is rusting underneath untill it is too late.
stratman2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #8
HeavyD

I think I will pass on the asphalt kind. I think that layer and coating would make the car hard to work on. My 14 year old pickup is still respectable underneath and I just power washed it at least once a month. I am going to upgrade the exhaust and I don't want to have to deal with that stuff sprayed everywhere anyway. I don't plan to put too many km on it a year, plus no salty snow exposure. Probably just go with an oil spray next winter.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
The only positive thing it will provide is sound deadining. Cars are made of galvanized steel so its not worth it imo plus i dont care for the look of it.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Your owners manual says NO.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
red82

Drives: 82 vette
Have you thought about the electric charge unit installed in your engine conpartment, no mess, no fuss, installed at the dealer so goes with factory warranty, put it on my 08 Malibu...not sure how good its going to work but thought I would try something new....oil sucks and is messy and could void warranty. look it up....
red82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
HeavyD

We have one on our other car. The rusting is a chemical reaction that also produces a small electrical current. These modules do work where the metal your protecting can make a complete circuit. They work great on ships or towers because the water or ground completes the circuit. On a car the body isn't a complete circuit. There is no flow or path for electrons to take to cancel this rust induced current. I don't know if they somehow give the body metal a certain positive or negative charge, like a static charge. All the research I have done show no real proof that they work. The dealer wants $500 to install one. I kinda had in my head that they probably don't hurt and if they were around $300 I would like to think about it. I won't pay $500.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
If they worked someone in my 100 member club, some of whom own 6 to 10 cars, would have one. No one does.