Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #43
Hankwvu

Drives: Gto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCruisin View Post
Let me know how you like them. I'd definitely give them a shot for $160 each.
I will definitely let you know how they do. As soon as I get them on, I'll be heading for one of my rallies up into the mountains. It is a GREAT test for tires. A lot of spirited driving on the backroads for a few hundred miles at a time. It should also be cooler temps.
Hankwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #44
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leWorksforMe View Post
Let us know how it goes prime. I'm not willing to sacrifice handling so I couldn't pull the trigger. Hopefully they are a worthy contender.
I definitely will. I haven't had much of a chance to drive the Camaro lately, but in the last week and a half, I've been pretty impressed. The tires can handle some hard, long duration accelerating turns with ease, which makes sense since the sidewalls are pretty stuff. However, the ride is noticeably improved from the Goodyears. There isn't quite as much road feel, but the Indy's are very direct with steering input, and there is virtually no dead on-center feeling.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #45
1lecamaro5

Drives: 2014 SW 1SS W/1LE
Optimus Prime, do you have an update? I am leaning towards the BFG Sport Comp-2 but really liked the looks of the Firestone Indy 500 and they're lighter, too.
1lecamaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #46
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Wow, hard to believe it's already been two months since I got the new tires. Unfortunately, I don't drive my car much in general, since I don't use it for work and we use my wife's car more for family outings, but I have had much more of a chance in the past two months. The only thing I can't comment on much is performance after a significant warmup, since I've only taken it on one long trip.

I will say the road feel is still a little less than the F1's, but everything else is much better. The Indys are much better in the rain/wet, the ride is much smoother (at least with the manufacturer-specified tire pressures), and it feels to me like it hooks up at least as good as the F1's, maybe better. I've taken some road corners pretty fast and hard, and even in competition mode, I've yet to have ANY slipping. Especially for the price and treadwear, I highly recommend these tires. I don't know how Michelin PSS's or Sport Cup tires feel, and they may be better, but of course they cost 1 1/2 to 2 times as much. If there are any other questions you have that I haven't answered, just ask. And good luck with your decision!

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #47
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have had the BFG A/S for 12,000 miles, a full year in every kind of weather, from ice, snow, rain, and heat...

1. these tires like 38 to 40 PSI... they will fluctuate from 34 psi cold (45 degrees) to 40 PSI (120 degrees) once the temps are consistently below 60 degrees I fill back to 38 PSI.. at 32 PSI these tires wander all over the place, at 38 they they are a little stiff but they go where I point them not where the road wants to take them.

2. at 38 PSI the wear is amazingly even, even my tire guy could not believe how even the wear is.. all 4 tires are exactly the same...

3. above 90 to 100 degrees they get rubbery, meaning you will feel the tire give a little, then all the sudden it will give out and slide.. it is consistent and can be reproduced every time so once you're used to what it does there is no issue... mostly when taking off in first around a corner..

4. with #3, I can still hit 0.78G in a corner at 50mph getting on the freeway https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8468...7255,17z?hl=en

5. they are 95% of the GY below 80 degrees

6. above 80 degrees they are 85%to 90% of the GY depending on what you're doing

I had a nail at 12500 miles and they patched the tire, within a week it happened again in the same exact spot so they are replacing 1 tire for free and because the W rated BFG are no longer I am getting 2 new Y rated for the rear.. I will see if there is a difference in handling between the W and Y..

I do not track at all but I do drive spirited

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #48
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
.... and the fact that I only got 16k on the rears really stunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got 17000km(10563 miles) out of my rears, officially as I write this. .

FWIW, fronts are still in great shape.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #49
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
8k out of my first set of rears, 9k out of my second set of rears. Replaced all 4 GYs after 17k. Went with MPSS and have almost 24k on those. The rears are close to needing replaced. MPSS are a great compromise tire for the street.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:33 AM   #50
ThisGuyDrives

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey Metallic 1LE/1SS/RS
Last winter in Tucson wasn't much fun with those Eagle F1's. This year is soooo much better with the BFG Comp 2's! 40 degrees and I can still launch and take corners!
Damn good for the money and that's the same when it comes to driving with them in the rain. Very good traction for the conditions. But, come summer time, I plan to put those Eagles back on. Because they are really amazing tires on a 110 degree day in the desert for the money.
ThisGuyDrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #51
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyDrives View Post
Last winter in Tucson wasn't much fun with those Eagle F1's. This year is soooo much better with the BFG Comp 2's! 40 degrees and I can still launch and take corners!
Damn good for the money and that's the same when it comes to driving with them in the rain. Very good traction for the conditions. But, come summer time, I plan to put those Eagles back on. Because they are really amazing tires on a 110 degree day in the desert for the money.
It was 21* and sunny, with a little snow and frost on the roads this morning... BFG's did fine!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #52
1lecamaro5

Drives: 2014 SW 1SS W/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Wow, hard to believe it's already been two months since I got the new tires. Unfortunately, I don't drive my car much in general, since I don't use it for work and we use my wife's car more for family outings, but I have had much more of a chance in the past two months. The only thing I can't comment on much is performance after a significant warmup, since I've only taken it on one long trip.

I will say the road feel is still a little less than the F1's, but everything else is much better. The Indys are much better in the rain/wet, the ride is much smoother (at least with the manufacturer-specified tire pressures), and it feels to me like it hooks up at least as good as the F1's, maybe better. I've taken some road corners pretty fast and hard, and even in competition mode, I've yet to have ANY slipping. Especially for the price and treadwear, I highly recommend these tires. I don't know how Michelin PSS's or Sport Cup tires feel, and they may be better, but of course they cost 1 1/2 to 2 times as much. If there are any other questions you have that I haven't answered, just ask. And good luck with your decision!
Is there anything that you don't like about these tires?
1lecamaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #53
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
8k out of my first set of rears, 9k out of my second set of rears. Replaced all 4 GYs after 17k. Went with MPSS and have almost 24k on those. The rears are close to needing replaced. MPSS are a great compromise tire for the street.
Chevy obviously tuned the 1LE's suspension in concert with certain specifications for tire properties that were met by the G:2 Goodyears. Most any other tire won't "feel" quite the same. All-season tires in particular should feel "softish" and "less precise".

The MPSS is definitely a longer-lived tire, even in a track setting if there's anything to my suspicion of needing to run up a few hundred easy to moderate street driving first. I've got 4000+ mostly enthusiastic street miles plus ten track days (~1200 miles) on these ↓↓↓ . They've easily topped 0.9 lat-g in a street(ish) setting, and still consistently manage 1.2 lat-g when fully warmed up on my home track. 285/35's on 18x11 wheels - IOW pretty similar to what you guys got from your OE mfr. About 40% worn as defined by tread depth, probably a couple of events past their prime for grip.

Wet behavior . . . well, about 2" of rain fell the day of this event, moderate to heavy all day long. Not everybody's tires were up to the conditions (around 11:00), camera shake down the front straight a little after that starts at about 110 mph, car itself was rock-solid. Wish I'd had my datalog device.

Norm
Old 12-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #54
CalvertCamaro

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
I put a set of BFG Comp 2 A/S on my 1LE two weeks ago. Temps here in MD have been 30-40 degrees and these tires are great so far. They handle the colder temps easily and I can certainly feel the better handling and traction over the original tires. The Goodyears are awesome once the weather heats back up, but in the winter time, these BFGs seem very good so far...
CalvertCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #55
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
I installed a set of these last month on a set of stock SS rims (non-1LE sizes as well):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=74YR0DWS06XL

No pure snow driving yet, but in the cold and wet they seem to do better than I expected. We'll see how long they last.