Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 07-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #141
cab33

Drives: Viper
Are StabiliTrak and ESC the same thing(stability / yaw control)?

What do you think the reasoning behind disabling stability control in Sport 2 and Race modes?
cab33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #142
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab33 View Post
Are StabiliTrak and ESC the same thing(stability / yaw control)?

What do you think the reasoning behind disabling stability control in Sport 2 and Race modes?
Yes, Stabilitrak is a brand name for GM ESC.

The reasoning behind Sport2 and Race not offering Stabilitrak would be to allow for faster rotation, assuming driver can effectively manage yaw level by applying either proper steering corrections, throttle, or brakes to permit higher yaw yet stay in control of rotation and not spin out.

This is also true for managing any understeer btw in case the car goes wider vs what the initial steering angle would suggest.

In short, if a car oversteers, or understeers, in theory a skilled driver should be able to correct the excessive yaw thru controls and lose less speed vs when Stabilitrak kicks in to assist the recovery by applying individal brakes (which will slow the forward progress of a car some).

To what extend one is faster vs slower is very much dependent on driver skill and ability to feel traction level at both ends of the car also combining proper vision to understand a directional attitude of the car in a given corner phase. And of course not spinning out.

Hence there is a fundamental difference how the car will feel in PTM Sport2 or Race vs Competitive Mode as these systems work under different (and almost opposing) principles:

While Comp Mode does not offer TC to manage tire slip and the car may feel faster on exits because of it, Stabilitrak is always present. With the 2 PTM modes there is no Stabilitrak hence allowing for faster rotations but TC will try to provide maximum exit speed by not allowing excessive tire slip which would otherwise slow forward progress. The important part here is that in this case PTM only manages tire slip and not yaw angles, hence requiring proper driver skill to manage the latter.

Hope this helps. I am not a technical expert here and these thoughts are only based on my actual driving experience and information i have gathered thru different sources re individual settings. But by and large i believe them to be correct. Ciao!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #143
cab33

Good explanation, Thanks.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #144
TrackClub

Quote:
Good explanation, Thanks.
Thank you. Heres another angle to look at it:

PTM up to and including Sport1:
The system manages any over or understeer and excessive tire slip on exits

PTM Sport 2 and Race:
The driver manages any over or understeer and the system manages excessive tire slip on exits

Note: Race mode will permit higher tire slip hence potentially increasing yaw level (and hence increasing driver involvement some)

Competitive Mode:
The system manges any over or understeer and the driver manages excessive tire slip

Note: if a driver over does the tire slip to an extend that yaw increases excessively on exit, the Stabilitrak will engage albeit it can likely be easily overpowered by torque.

Final note: if one were to drive like a hooligan any ESC can be overpowered. Hence it is not a fail safe system to save a car under all situations. Just my opinion here to indicate that all such systems have their limits.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #145
cab33

So how different is Track Mode from PTM Sport 1?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #146
TrackClub

Quote:
So how different is Track Mode from PTM Sport 1?
E-LSD will have a much more conservative calibration in Track mode without engaging PTM with stability as priority. Per my OP the GM engineer equates it to PTM in Wet mode and it seems that torque levels might be reduced as well.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #147
cab33

When you choose sport 1 ptm, is it suppose to show the no tc and no stability control lights on the dash? Even though both should be on in Sport 1.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #148
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
When you choose sport 1 ptm, is it suppose to show the no tc and no stability control lights on the dash? Even though both should be on in Sport 1.
From messing with the PTM modes a little last week, it seemed anytime you are in any PTM mode, both stability and traction lights are on.
Similarly, in competitive mode, both are lit but you still retain some stability control.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #149
SpazmXylam
Because Racecar!

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
So, silly me I thought just hitting traction button in track mode automatically picked PTM and went through several track days not knowing any better.

Long story short, just got back from an auto cross event today using the PTM in "Dry" mode for the first time. Its almost freakish how much the behavior of the car changes. Just point the car where you want it and mash the noise maker. Poof! you are teleported where you were wanting to go.

I cant wait to give it a go on a proper track day.

Huge thumbs up for PTM.

Also, yes while in PTM mode both traction and stability lights are on. Likely as a redundancy to indicate you changed the behavior regardless of the mode selected.
SpazmXylam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #150
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazmXylam View Post
So, silly me I thought just hitting traction button in track mode automatically picked PTM and went through several track days not knowing any better.

Long story short, just got back from an auto cross event today using the PTM in "Dry" mode for the first time. Its almost freakish how much the behavior of the car changes. Just point the car where you want it and mash the noise maker. Poof! you are teleported where you were wanting to go.

I cant wait to give it a go on a proper track day.

Huge thumbs up for PTM.

Also, yes while in PTM mode both traction and stability lights are on. Likely as a redundancy to indicate you changed the behavior regardless of the mode selected.
Dry mode is good, Sport 1 mode is even better.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #151
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Here are three (inexpert) observations about modes from my last track day:

1. "Dry" has quite a lot of intervention especially in controlling power down on exit. Big cut in power, you can actually hear it cut if you are too hard on the pedal.

2. "PTM 1" Much better as far as intervention in cutting power from engine but still noticeably less power. Braking very stable, no yaw noticed.

3. "PTM 2" Definitely more power especially with car straight. Can move the car with the throttle with fine adjustments at the pedal. This is what you expect with a torquey V-8. In a long steady state series of esses I could move the nose into the next corner more by moving the rear end out with slip angle at the rear. Definite yaw in braking, slight rear end sway under heavy braking. You need to manage braking but the car will "manage" throttle off in a corner within reason.

If you have been track driving for some time PTM 2 seems the best to me. I have not turned everything off, however. Maybe next time.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #152
TrackClub

Good observations. Did you also try PTM Race, or stoppped short of it? Cheers
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #153
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Good observations. Did you also try PTM Race, or stoppped short of it? Cheers
I didn't but will the next time depending on track conditions. I probably will never regularly run with "everything off" as I want the safety net. My opinion is that if you know what your doing as a driver (I have had many years of car and motorcycle racing in my past), PTM 2 is where you should be at least. The car does too much in taking control until you reach PTM 2.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #154
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
I didn't but will the next time depending on track conditions. I probably will never regularly run with "everything off" as I want the safety net. My opinion is that if you know what your doing as a driver (I have had many years of car and motorcycle racing in my past), PTM 2 is where you should be at least. The car does too much in taking control until you reach PTM 2.
Makes sense. Note that the car may feel very different (especially to a high skill driver) as up to PTM sport1 both Stabilitrak and TC are present. At PTM sport2 and Race only TC is present and naturally may only engage on exits. So entry and mid corner are completely up to a driver to manage.
The only difference between Sport2 and Race is that TC is in its lowest engagement mode in the latter permitting the most tire slip vs any other setting.
I like it especially on any uneven pavement and such as it aids in maintaining forward progress. And i find it very unobtrusive and neat.