Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #113
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
What would end this thread is GM simply adding software that at the moment you put the car in drive or reverse you got a DIC message that showed "key fob not recognized". It's a workable solution to a very, very rare situation. This is pretty straight forward and could be done with a bit of software.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:15 AM   #114
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
I posted my solution a few pages ago; program an extra fob, take the battery out, and keep it well hidden inside the car. In an emergency, unlock the car with the OnStar app, then put the batteryless fob in the rear cup holder to start the car.
The OnStar requirement aside, I like the thought. Now that you mention it again, I do remember reading it.

Why not simply take the mechanical key out of that extra fob and keep that with you at all times? Just put it on a separate ring from the other fob or possibly in your wallet.

Norm
Old 07-31-2018, 06:29 AM   #115
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
What would end this thread is GM simply adding software that at the moment you put the car in drive or reverse you got a DIC message that showed "key fob not recognized". It's a workable solution to a very, very rare situation. This is pretty straight forward and could be done with a bit of software.
Maybe add some beeping or make this particular DIC message really eye-catching. What about 6MT cars, that unlike the automatics would not have any direct means of identifying that some forward gear had been selected?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-31-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:53 AM   #116
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Maybe add some beeping or make this particular DIC message really eye-catching. What about 6MT cars, that unlike the automatics would not have any direct means of identifying that some forward gear had been selected?

Norm

6MT cars also have a gear indicator on the DIC and HUD so the messaging could be universal regardless of transmission

Now if the Ford approach of no fob = gear lockout were implemented then yeah we’re talking something different for the different transmissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #117
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
6MT cars also have a gear indicator on the DIC and HUD so the messaging could be universal regardless of transmission
Fair enough. Is this true for all trims and option levels?

Throwing that message up into the HUD (if so equipped) might be a good idea as well. I have to wonder how many people actually look down at the instrument panel area before every trip.

Norm
Old 07-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #118
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I would think a manual driver would be less likely to make the mistake of leaving the car running (unless deliberate) as more attention is required when parking. Of course there those that park in neutral which is bad habit to develop. Even the owner's manual does not recommend it.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #119
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The OnStar requirement aside, I like the thought. Now that you mention it again, I do remember reading it.

Why not simply take the mechanical key out of that extra fob and keep that with you at all times? Just put it on a separate ring from the other fob or possibly in your wallet.

Norm
no keyed ignition, only works on the locks, and convertible trunk
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #120
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6 softtop View Post
no keyed ignition, only works on the locks, and convertible trunk
All it has to do is let you get into the car. After that, you go for the rest of the fob that you took the key out of and hid. No OnStar or OnStar app needed, and it's likely a faster method as well.

Norm
Old 08-05-2018, 12:55 AM   #121
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
So tonight I went to a restaurant with a friend, he got out of the passenger door and I went to park. When he closed the door, the car honked three times, and the info told me the key was not in the car yet it was and the car was running. I drove to a safe ding free parking space and could not turn the car off. Since I have a M6, I popped the clutch to kill the motor. Upon exiting, I could not lock the car with the fob but ultimately locked it with the button on the interior door.

Months ago, on two different occasions, I could not start the car when trying to go to work because the car said there was no fob in the car.

This system is seriously flawed and should be shelved. A key ignition would never fail in this way and I look forward to the day it returns.
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:45 AM   #122
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
So tonight I went to a restaurant with a friend, he got out of the passenger door and I went to park. When he closed the door, the car honked three times, and the info told me the key was not in the car yet it was and the car was running. I drove to a safe ding free parking space and could not turn the car off. Since I have a M6, I popped the clutch to kill the motor. Upon exiting, I could not lock the car with the fob but ultimately locked it with the button on the interior door.

Months ago, on two different occasions, I could not start the car when trying to go to work because the car said there was no fob in the car.

This system is seriously flawed and should be shelved. A key ignition would never fail in this way and I look forward to the day it returns.
Sounds like the fob is faulty. I'd have switched it out the first time it happened.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #123
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Any chance that the fob was somehow shielded from whatever is trying to find it?

Norm
Old 08-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #124
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Sounds like the fob is faulty. I'd have switched it out the first time it happened.
Perhaps, but there is still something wrong because he stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I drove to a safe ding free parking space and could not turn the car off. .
The button on the dash should still turn the car off even if the fob is absent.
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #125
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
I'd much prefer the car shutting down without the fob inside... Especially on the M6... GM is too lazy/afriad to install remote start on the M6, so cooling it down in the summer, and warming it up in the winter is a pain, lol.

If the fob is not in the car, it should not let you start moving. If the battery dies while driving, it should warn you that it lost signal before you shut it down.

They could easily program it that way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #126
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
I'd much prefer the car shutting down without the fob inside... Especially on the M6... GM is too lazy/afriad to install remote start on the M6, so cooling it down in the summer, and warming it up in the winter is a pain, lol.

If the fob is not in the car, it should not let you start moving. If the battery dies while driving, it should warn you that it lost signal before you shut it down.

They could easily program it that way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Sorry, but GM is NOT lazy or afraid to do it.

Excluding the FMVSS regulations, you would need to ensure the car is in neutral and ensure the park brake is engaged. So if you even wanted such a feature, you would have to be in neutral with the park brake engaged, and not everyone does that. And on TOP of that you would need an interlock that prevented the car from being shifted out of neutral into any gear. Note if you remote start an automatic, you CANNOT shift out of park until after you hit the start button and in order to do that you need the key fob IN THE CAR. So it is pretty impractical for a manual transmission. Has NOTHING to do with fear or laziness.

So you need to sense neutral (done), sense park brake engaged (workable) and an interlock on the shift lever that prevents shifting out of neutral until the ignition switch is pressed with the key fob in the car (could possibly but do you really want the mass and complexity of that). And you may have to change the FMVSS regs as well, I'm not sure doing those 3 things actually meet the standard.

If the fob is not in the car and you can't move? What is your proposal when the battery in the fob dies? And generally when you try to start the vehicle it will tell you no fob is detected.

Again, everyone seems to want to be piling on GM for an extremely rare occurrence experienced by the OP.