Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #15
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastohio View Post
Thanks 5thgen for posting THE WEBSITE that smky was talking about, I know what IPC stands for, I have some pace cars in my barn....
Your most welcome, I can tell you that the folks there can tell you anything about any Camaro Pace Car ever made, it is a great resource.
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
5thGenIndy500

Quote:
Smky....checked the website you listed, seems to be out of date, don't see a 2010/2011 section....tried to leave a comment and the "contact us" doesn't work....sends you into a computer tizzy...can you help get this repaired ?? I have gone to the site 2011 forum but not too many posting have occured since this summer..
Ok folks I admit that the site is not a Camaro5 site but, notice that there is no advertizing on the site either. The 2011 area is under the 2010 area and yes site updates do lag a bit but, again this is just a site about their passion/hobby. Just sign up (its free) then go to the 2011 lounge and post a comment he will reply. I was not aware that the contact link was broken. I will say this, there is nothing about any Camaro Pace Car that you will not be able to find there.

Last edited by 5thGenIndy500; 11-21-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
5thGenIndy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkymts View Post
No problem, I only report here what was told to me too. It wouldn't be the first time misleading things are stated by GM. The actually Pace Car was suppose to be the car that Barrett Jackson Auction for $225,000. With the winning bidder pacing the race in the car he bought. I went back to the official press release and it stated all "51" car were automatics.
That leeds to yet another good question..??? Which one was the Barrett Jackson one. Was it the #1 Festival car?? Or one built special, in addition to the rest; just for the auction??? I don't think they will allow anyone to register the real pace cars because the amber tail lights and strobes are illegal. I also know that they will not release any of the 50 festival cars, that have a matching race car number, prior to the race because they present the winning driver with the numbered festival car to match his winning car number. Since Don Weldon's car was #99 they gave him the #50 festival car.

Quote:
Just goes to show you that sort of thing happens all the time. Just like mine. Officially, GM never built a supercharged 2011 IPC. The 2012 ZL1 was suppose to be the first SC Camaro Produced, but Les Stanford has a lot of clout and pushed to have it made and decided to contact SLP and do a joint build in Michigan. It ended up as a ZL585 with an exterior package delete. The SLP window stick indicates this was car #001 of a run number of 001. All the documentation with the exception of the SLP window sticker (which was never placed on the car) is Chevrolet. All of the exterior badgeing is Chevy too. Officially, my car doesn't exist. But it sits fully documented in my barn for winter.
So you are proof that things are not always what they are said to be... I will say this, I will not post something without having proof that it exsists...

Quote:
So I trust your eyes more that what I was told. Heck, who knows if there was more cars at the race, perhaps there are more that 500 cars total.
As was the case in 2010 there were more then the original 250 Camaro pace cars built then was published...

Quote:
The year (I think it was 1971) that the Dodge Challenger Paced the race, they couldn't get the cars made at the factory, so they bought up all the local white Challengers in Indiannapolis, slapped decals on the side and took them to the race. There was several different engines, transmissions because the Hemi was do hard to find. Matter of fact, I believe that was the year the Pace Car wrecked you spoke about. But it just goes to show what can happen.
You are correct it was 1971 the Dodge Challenger Pace Car was driven by local businessman Eldon Palmer with astronualt John Glenn as a passenger. 22 spectators were injured. The Dodge Challenger has not paced the Indy 500 since!!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
pastohio

Drives: Indy Pace Car
Now confused, is the 2011 lounge part of the IPC website ? I have the link in my favorites for the 2011 lounge....go there from time to time...thanks 5thgen....
pastohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
pastohio

Drives: Indy Pace Car
Smkymts....about your car, didn't you buy it through a GM dealer ?? You have to have a Mulrooney showing the equipment/Vin and most of the time the delivered to dealer address...Aren't these after market add ons , just like years ago Yenko and another Chevy dealer became famous for doing different graphics and tweaks to the car...but from my limited knowledge, only vehicles from the factory build are original, dealer addons are add ons...correct ??!! Just like the festival cars also had the Indy decal on the front fenders and only the official pace cars also had the Izod stickers as well ??!! Not trying to start a feud, just would like to start some dialogue and if indifference to my opinion, would appreciate hearing also...nice cars... (wasn't someone in Indy area) selling a 6 cyl white convertible with all the decals like a pace car ??) I bet someone got snookered when they bought that car !!
pastohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
5thGenIndy500

Quote:
Now confused, is the 2011 lounge part of the IPC website ? I have the link in my favorites for the 2011 lounge....go there from time to time...thanks 5thgen....
The lounge forum section I am refering to is the one on the CamaroPaceCars.com site they have a 2009 - 2011 lounge section there.

Sorry did not mean to confuse u...)
Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #21
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Quote:
Smkymts....about your car, didn't you buy it through a GM dealer ?? You have to have a Mulrooney showing the equipment/Vin and most of the time the delivered to dealer address...Aren't these after market add ons , just like years ago Yenko and another Chevy dealer became famous for doing different graphics and tweaks to the car...but from my limited knowledge, only vehicles from the factory build are original, dealer addons are add ons...correct ??!! Just like the festival cars also had the Indy decal on the front fenders and only the official pace cars also had the Izod stickers as well ??!! Not trying to start a feud, just would like to start some dialogue and if indifference to my opinion, would appreciate hearing also...nice cars... (wasn't someone in Indy area) selling a 6 cyl white convertible with all the decals like a pace car ??) I bet someone got snookered when they bought that car !!
Yes I purchased the car through a dealer. No I never referenced a website. Yes, the Supercharging was done like the original, Yenko and COPO. Where the wanted to offer a higher performance engine that was not officially offered by GM. Like back in '69, the dealer I purchased this car from contacted GM about developing a COPO like option by dropping a LSA supercharged engine from a CTS-V. But that was stopped because of the 2012 ZL1 coming out in Jan. 2012. The dealer contacted SLP, but they wanted to ripe off the hood & spoiler and replace them with their hood/spoiler. They also wanted to ripe off the decals and paint strips back on it. But that killed the whole Indy Package.
So the dealer pulled parts from the Performance Part division and parts from SLP. Developed it in house with techinal support from SLP. In the end they built a Indy ZL585 with all the performance, exhaust and suspense of a ZL585 with added GM Performance parts. The supplemental mulhoney was written and warrentied by SLP and the dealership for 100,000 miles. This additional documentation outlines the performance build, warranty, and relationship between the two builders. It clearly shows that this was a one off build, labeling this car #001 of 001.
I am not impling that it makes it anymore special or valuable than any other, I'm just telling the unusual story of how this one car came to be built. I do challenge any one to produce similar documentation or show me pictures of another car like it.
Smkymts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #22
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Bottom line, I just wanted a forum thread for The 500+- 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car owners. So we might get to know one another, discuss issues that might arise. And perhaps be a place where we can organize a Summer Cruze sometime in 2012.
Perhaps we can organize a Cruze to Camarofest in 2012, did I read its in Indianapolis? If so, it would be great to be part of a show of force as we arrive intown together. If that doesn't work, I have a small farm in the foothills of the Smokey Mts. I offer it as a gathering place to Cruze the Blue Ridge Parkway with a overnight in the Smokies or perhaps in Gatlinburg, Tn or at the Biltmore Mansion in Asheville, NC. How great it would be to see hundreds of our fellow IPC owners lined up, glimmering in the Summer Sun.
Smkymts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #23
Hemidog

Drives: '06 Charger Daytona, '11 IPC Camaro
Where is the # on the IPC located?

I'm close to buying an IPC from the dealer but don't see where it has the unique number for which one of the 500 it is. The 50 Festival cars have it on the dash, anyone know about the rest?
Hemidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
RS69

Drives: 2011 pace car
I was hoping someone would put together a vin list/registery for the 2011 IPC's. including your bldg date. This would give some clue to a cars place number within the 500 cars built. over on the camaropacecar site the 2011 cars do not seem to get much attention/respect. Just my take.
RS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #25
5thGenIndy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidog View Post
I'm close to buying an IPC from the dealer but don't see where it has the unique number for which one of the 500 it is. The 50 Festival cars have it on the dash, anyone know about the rest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS69 View Post
I was hoping someone would put together a vin list/registery for the 2011 IPC's. including your bldg date. This would give some clue to a cars place number within the 500 cars built. over on the camaropacecar site the 2011 cars do not seem to get much attention/respect. Just my take.
Only the 50 2011 Festival cars are marked with the number on the dash, it will take a while but one of the members on the camaropacecars site will eventually get them all figured out. This was the same thing that happened with the 250 2010 Camaro Pace Cars. I spoke with Fritz about marking the 2010s and the 2011s he indicated that it was their intent to do so but that time just would not allow it. It is a very short time between knowing that the Camaros were going to be the pace cars and the time they had to build and deliver them. For 2011 I know it was their intent to mark them all. He told me that the plan was to put all of the 500 on the production line as a group, then the issue in china and parts became a problem and so he was just not able to pull it off. Without having them all together it was virtually impossible to number them except the first 50 festival cars that went to Indy in March.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #26
RS69

Drives: 2011 pace car
couldn't you figure some kind of numbering for them based on vin and build date.
RS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 View Post
Only the 50 2011 Festival cars are marked with the number on the dash, it will take a while but one of the members on the camaropacecars site will eventually get them all figured out. This was the same thing that happened with the 250 2010 Camaro Pace Cars. I spoke with Fritz about marking the 2010s and the 2011s he indicated that it was their intent to do so but that time just would not allow it. It is a very short time between knowing that the Camaros were going to be the pace cars and the time they had to build and deliver them. For 2011 I know it was their intent to mark them all. He told me that the plan was to put all of the 500 on the production line as a group, then the issue in china and parts became a problem and so he was just not able to pull it off. Without having them all together it was virtually impossible to number them except the first 50 festival cars that went to Indy in March.
they also wanted to avoid the mess of everyone trying to get #1.... there were actually sheets full of numbers done with the intent of using them on the cars.

For the 2010's there is a list of all 294 cars in VIN order. Maybe one will surface for the 2011's..

Last edited by mlee; 11-23-2011 at 06:45 PM.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #28
5thGenIndy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
they also did not wanted to avoid the mess of everyone trying to get #1.... there were actually sheets full of numbers done with the intent of using them on the cars.

For the 2010's there is a list of all 294 cars in VIN order. Maybe one will surface for the 2011's..
Thanks for weighing in Lee... That is a good point that I forgot to mention. So see it was advertized that there to be 250 of the 2010 Camaro Pace Cars but it ended up 294...

Tags
2011 camaro convertible, 2011 camaro pace car, supercharged camaro