Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
fz6r

Drives: Camaro
Dealer Scratched New Wheels- What to Do?

So I just posted before about how excited I was to pick up my car from the dealer because they always do fantastic work and are super nice... and they scratched my wheels. Car was in for an oil leak and getting the tires mounted and balanced on my summer wheels that I just got back from the powder coater (semi-gloss black .) I was unable to pick up the car before dealer closed, so had a family member stop by and grab the keys (as I've done many times before, without incident.) Went to go pick up the car, and I see these scratches on all of the wheels - some very light, others deeper, the picture shows the worst one. What should I do? I gave the wheels to the service manager all still completely in shrink wrap from the powder coater (which I picked up just the day before.) What should I do? The service department is always really nice and I'd hate to be an a**, but I'm not too happy about this, I gave them the wheels in perfect condition in shrink wrap for god's sake. If I do complain, what can they even do? It's not like the wheels are a GM part, they're the RS/SS wheels that I drove an hour away to have powder coated a specific shade and sheen of black, its not like that can be touched up. The main thing is, I don't want to complain and have them hate me from now on, there aren't that many Chevy dealers around me and prior to this, I was always able to trust them, they've fixed errors overlooked by another dealer. Help!

P.S. I know the tires are screaming for Adam's APC, a good scrubbing, and VRT, it's almost painful to look at.
Attached Images

fz6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Dude, that's bad, I'd bitch.

Sent while on baby duty.... please sleep
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
So don't be an a**, just go back and show them. Be nice. If they are as good as you say, they will want to make it right. Give them a chance.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Always do a walk around and look at what was being done before ya leave. Now they can say didn't happen HERE <<
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
steelrfan

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to steelrfan
I would take the car back in and show it to them. Easier to show them the damage than trying to explain the damage over the phone. Then explain to them the effort/money/time spent to have the wheels powder coated and how disappointed you are about the scratches. I had the same thing happen with mine and I ended up with a new set of wheels. I now have 2 sets, one set with winter tires (the scratched wheels) and one set with summer tires (the new set). I hate that it happened but it worked out in my favor for the most part.

Sorry this happened but hope it works out for you!
steelrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
fz6r

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrfan View Post
I would take the car back in and show it to them. Easier to show them the damage than trying to explain the damage over the phone. Then explain to them the effort/money/time spent to have the wheels powder coated and how disappointed you are about the scratches. I had the same thing happen with mine and I ended up with a new set of wheels. I now have 2 sets, one set with winter tires (the scratched wheels) and one set with summer tires (the new set). I hate that it happened but it worked out in my favor for the most part.

Thanks for the input.
fz6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Id go back, they should make it right. But I had my car in once, they scratched it and wouldnt own up to it, tried to offer me free oil changes.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Cully

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS Synergy Green Camaro
They only thing that may hurt your chances is that you left and came back. Good luck and hopefully they own up to it.
Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6r View Post
So I just posted before about how excited I was to pick up my car from the dealer because they always do fantastic work and are super nice... and they scratched my wheels. Car was in for an oil leak and getting the tires mounted and balanced on my summer wheels that I just got back from the powder coater (semi-gloss black .) I was unable to pick up the car before dealer closed, so had a family member stop by and grab the keys (as I've done many times before, without incident.) Went to go pick up the car, and I see these scratches on all of the wheels - some very light, others deeper, the picture shows the worst one. What should I do? I gave the wheels to the service manager all still completely in shrink wrap from the powder coater (which I picked up just the day before.) What should I do? The service department is always really nice and I'd hate to be an a**, but I'm not too happy about this, I gave them the wheels in perfect condition in shrink wrap for god's sake. If I do complain, what can they even do? It's not like the wheels are a GM part, they're the RS/SS wheels that I drove an hour away to have powder coated a specific shade and sheen of black, its not like that can be touched up. The main thing is, I don't want to complain and have them hate me from now on, there aren't that many Chevy dealers around me and prior to this, I was always able to trust them, they've fixed errors overlooked by another dealer. Help!

P.S. I know the tires are screaming for Adam's APC, a good scrubbing, and VRT, it's almost painful to look at.
Holy s**t this is exactly my story right down to traveling 1 hour to the powder coater. Fortunately for me I had a spare set of rims and took one of the fronts and had it recoated then the dealer remounted the new coated wheel and replaced the one that I used with a new wheel so I would still have a complete set of the midnight silvers. They paid for everything including a full tank of gas for my troubles.

Not if you make a mistake, but what you do to rectify it after you made it.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrfan View Post

+1
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
If they are a good dealer they will do what ever needs to be done. I took mine to a new dealer in my area for alignment. Picked car up after hours and noticed a scratch on one of the spokes. When I called them they were very concerned and asked to bring car in for inspection. They tell me they will do what ever needs to be done to msake it right. Just have not had the time to get back in. I have expressed that I am unconfortable with repairing the wheel. They seem to be open about replacing the wheel. I am trying to get them to get me a deal on 10" rears to help offset there cost for the replacement. I will let you know how that goes soon. Should be able to bring in hopefully by end of week.

Good luck with yours. There are some good dealers out there.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
That same thing happened to my brother. He went in to have some brake work done under warranty and somehow they screwed up his rims. He noticed when he picked the car up there was a problem and told them to fix it. They agreed there was a problem and agreed to replace the rims. He picked it up the next day and we noticed that he had 4 brand new tires too.

On a hunch we brove around the lot and found his scratched rims and old tires on one of the new cars on the lot.

This dealer is closed now.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
That same thing happened to my brother. He went in to have some brake work done under warranty and somehow they screwed up his rims. He noticed when he picked the car up there was a problem and told them to fix it. They agreed there was a problem and agreed to replace the rims. He picked it up the next day and we noticed that he had 4 brand new tires too.

On a hunch we brove around the lot and found his scratched rims and old tires on one of the new cars on the lot.

This dealer is closed now.
Did you guys turn them in or something, why they closed?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
There's a fine line between being an azz or speaking up for yourself. Do nothing and say nothing and they will probably keep on being careless.

Speaking up and even asking for a reimbursement isn't being an azz.

I had just had some curb rash repaired on one of mine and took it in to the dealer the next day and stopped for gas on the way home and noticed, you guessed it....scratches.

Luckily, my wheel guy offered to touch it up for me for free.

I went back to the dealer and showed them the photos. I wasn't prickish, just let them know it wasn't acceptable. They were embarrassed.

Now, every time I take it in, I walk the car with the service person and that way they are aware that I am aware and will be checking for anything like that happening again.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote