Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2022, 11:53 AM   #1
Redrockit

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS MT
2014 2015 Rear Bumper Removal HELP

Hi Guys,

After carefully researching how to remove my bumper fascia, I still managed to break one of those delicate tabs near the marker light. I was gently pulling away from the side of the car. What is the proper procedure for removing this area of the fascia?
Attached Images

Redrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
I have removed mine multiple times and use a plastic pry tool wrapped in a thin towel and pry it down just a little. Just enough to help pass the part it clips on to.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
Redrockit

Well I figured it out, so I will post this for anyone else who might have the same question in the future. For the clips that run horizontally, the bumper needs to be pulled directly outward from the side of the car. Once you have done this, the bumper must be pulled carefully FORWARD (toward the front of the car) to clear those vertical clips. Adding slight outward pressure from inside the bumper while pulling forward might be needed to pop them out.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:34 PM   #4
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrockit View Post
Well I figured it out, so I will post this for anyone else who might have the same question in the future. For the clips that run horizontally, the bumper needs to be pulled directly outward from the side of the car. Once you have done this, the bumper must be pulled carefully FORWARD (toward the front of the car) to clear those vertical clips. Adding slight outward pressure from inside the bumper while pulling forward might be needed to pop them out.
Thanks Redrockit. I've seen the "fix" videos on Youtube and they don't look fun.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:13 PM   #5
Redrockit

True. This is the best repair method I found. Looks very effective, but the 3M stuff is $$
Old 03-30-2022, 09:36 PM   #6
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
Most 3m stuff is worth ever dime.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #7
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
wow that is FM !!!!!!!! i will remember this.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:50 PM   #8
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
this just another reason this site is so fantastic. nothing but SUPER GENIUSES here willing to help each other out in our times of need.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #9
Redrockit

I decided to update my own post with a solution. I couldn't stand to put everything back together without trying to repair the broken tab. While the 3M materials in the video above look effective, they would cost about $125. I found some Permatex plastic welder for around $10 that looked promising, so I tried it.

First I cleaned up the tab with denatured alcohol, then roughened the surface so the new material would get a good bond. Then I used aluminum tape to position the tab and provide temporary backing. I then mixed up the two part adhesive, while wearing a cartridge respirator and with a fan blowing (fumes are nasty). After the plastic set, I roughed it back into shape using sandpaper and files, going progressively more fine as the tab neared the correct shape. Finally, I painted it with touch up paint.

Guess what? the repair held firm, just like the original plastic. It clicked right back into place. I would recommend the Permatex to anyone trying this kind of repair, and I saved some money too!
Attached Images