Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Erich_In_Fl

Drives: 2014 1LS V6
DDX9703S or AVH-2330NEX HU and PAC or Scosche 2.0 kit?

This is a base model, so basic stereo only, not MyLink. My key requirements are:

- HD Radio
- At least 1 rear camera input
- Good A2DP support (I do a lot of audio books)
- Good BT call/voice quality (no tin can sounding crap)
- Sounds better than the stock system
- Would love to use Waze with my iPhone 7 (but know it can be a challenge)

Don't care about:
- XM
- Built in NAV

I'm not a bass head, but may consider a small sub for a little punch, but just want a decently clean sound. I'm not really unhappy with the stock radio sound, but would be happy with a little improvement.

Both HUs are running about the same price right now. I know the DDX9703s is an older unit, but it has some nice features, 2x cam input and HDMI input to name a couple, that I like. The 2330NEX seems to be pretty solid as well, so I'm having a time picking.

Also, for the kit, I've heard good about the new Scocshe 2.0 kit. I don't want to lose features or impact things like key fobs distance, so do either of these excell over the other at this point?

Thanks
Erich_In_Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
Erich_In_Fl

I ended picking up the DDX9703s on sale at BestBuy for $399, but I'm still wondering about the PAC vs. new Scosche v2 kit. Any thoughts on those?
Old 03-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I recently installed the new Scosche kit. I'm pretty happy with it. Gives the dash a more modern look. Plus installing the dash kit solved a few HVAC issues my car has had since I bought it that the dealer couldn't figure out.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:14 PM   #4
salva

Drives: 2014 LS
I have the DDX9903S, which is almost the same as the 9703s but with a better screen. It's definitely fantastic. I would suggest to get the PAC kit for this.

If you need a sub let me know. I installed a powered sub and it's great.
salva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
I will 2nd Salva’s choice, as I have the same set up.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I ended up getting the Pioneer AVH-1330NEX and so far I love it. It has all the stuff you mentioned and since you have an Apple phone you can use CarPlay which I love. That way you can use all of the phone nav apps including Waze. I got mine for $325 open box from BestBuy. They currently have it for $400 but it always goes on sale for less.

The biggest thing I don’t like about a lot of these units is no volume knob.

I also used the PAC kit based on research.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:26 AM   #7
Erich_In_Fl

I ended up going with the 9703s and Pac kit, although I'm still working through some issues.

#1 is that when I receive a phone call, the radio reboots. Yep, like power off and reboot. Happens plugged in to USB or via bluetooth. I just upgraded the firmware on the deck and I'm going to make sure I disconnect from the OnStar system and try it again.

#2 is that the face of the deck will not open or tilt. It's binding on the Pac bezel. Gonna have to mess with that a bit more ot possible trim. :(

#3 is that now I want to replace my door speakers, deck speakers and add a sub.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:30 AM   #8
salva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich_In_Fl View Post
I ended up going with the 9703s and Pac kit, although I'm still working through some issues.

#1 is that when I receive a phone call, the radio reboots. Yep, like power off and reboot. Happens plugged in to USB or via bluetooth. I just upgraded the firmware on the deck and I'm going to make sure I disconnect from the OnStar system and try it again.

#2 is that the face of the deck will not open or tilt. It's binding on the Pac bezel. Gonna have to mess with that a bit more ot possible trim. :(

#1 happens to my kenwood as well. It's so damn annoying.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #9
FockerNJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I'm pretty sure that there is a looped wire that you guys have to cut to fix the rebooting problem. It's been over a year since I did mine so I don't remember exactly. I'm sure somebody else that sees this will know.

Edit: I went back and found it.

Cut the brown loop wire! There’s a note on page 5 of the installation manual that shouldn’t be ignored: “The Mute loop (if not cut) will turn the accessory output off when an OnStar or Bluetooth call is made or received. If the aftermarket radio has a mute input cut this loop and connect the outer brown wire to the mute input.” — In short, CUT THE WIRE if you don’t want the new head unit to shut down / restart if you use OnStar, or make Bluetooth calls.

Last edited by FockerNJ; 04-22-2018 at 05:55 PM.
FockerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
salva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FockerNJ View Post
I'm pretty sure that there is a looped wire that you guys have to cut to fix the rebooting problem. It's been over a year since I did mine so I don't remember exactly. I'm sure somebody else that sees this will know.

Edit: I went back and found it.

Cut the brown loop wire! There’s a note on page 5 of the installation manual that shouldn’t be ignored: “The Mute loop (if not cut) will turn the accessory output off when an OnStar or Bluetooth call is made or received. If the aftermarket radio has a mute input cut this loop and connect the outer brown wire to the mute input.” — In short, CUT THE WIRE if you don’t want the new head unit to shut down / restart if you use OnStar, or make Bluetooth calls.
Wow, good stuff. Thank you
Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich_In_Fl View Post

I just purchased the Kenwwod DDX9704S and the PAC dash unit. Should I expect the same hanging up issue and if so how do I resolve it?

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
Dave@Sturgiscamarorally

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS
i'm looking at one of the Kenwood decks as well, just haven't decided on one yet.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
Mattchew

Drives: Camaro 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD DAB View Post
I just purchased the Kenwwod DDX9704S and the PAC dash unit. Should I expect the same hanging up issue and if so how do I resolve it?
DDX9704S and the 9703S nearly the same right? I like the 9704S way better was thinking of getting that with the PAC unit
Old 05-24-2018, 12:57 AM   #14
el Wulf

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
Went with Pioneer's AVH-4200NEX & PAC's RPK-GM4101. I like the GM4101 because I wanted to keep the original layout of the dash by retaining the oem HVAC controls, plus PAC allows me to customize the SW controls by selecting which function each button does....like having the On-Star button select Google Voice instead (On-star can still be activated by pressing the icon on the rear-view mirror). No need to buy a HU with navigation if the unit has Apple Carplay &/or Android Auto....nothing like having voice-activated Google Maps at your disposal. I do not know about the new Scosche 2.0 kit, but do know that there was a lot of problems with the previous version.

***About the rebooting issue, FockerNJ is correct....the brown loop wire needs to be cut then cap the outer wire on the connector & then connect the inner brown wire to the appropriate wire from the HU. Tampa Bay Camaro has a great writeup about the installation process....here's the link. http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/pac-a...4101-hands-on/

Last edited by el Wulf; 05-24-2018 at 01:30 AM.
el Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote