Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
cdigiovanni

Drives: 2010 SS2, 03 vette supercharged,
subs facing out or subs face in (to the front of the car)

question about placing a box with 2 10in Ultra Audio's DVC in the car with the sub face -facing the interior or the car or facing the tail lights .... anyone with a good solid information. which performs better, bass/ loudness/ etc
running 1500 watt RMS in the car 6in seperates in the doors/ 6in seperates in the rear deck.
center dash will be powered via head unit for phone/onstar etc.
cdigiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
From an experience standpoint, you probably won't hear the difference. FRom the competition side of things, facing the rear is usually louder on the mic. it tends to allow the waves to develop and peak.

Personal preference, rear facing.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
From an experience standpoint, you probably won't hear the difference. FRom the competition side of things, facing the rear is usually louder on the mic. it tends to allow the waves to develop and peak.

Personal preference, rear facing.
This statement is absolutely correct....the longer the "wavelength" travels, the better chance it has to get "louder."

We did several enclosures for high end customers and most all of them used the rear panel of the vehicle as a "reflector" for the soundwave.

Good luck!,
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
This statement is absolutely correct....the longer the "wavelength" travels, the better chance it has to get "louder."

We did several enclosures for high end customers and most all of them used the rear panel of the vehicle as a "reflector" for the soundwave.

Good luck!,
Ivan
not only that... but in competitions you are measuring sound pressure. Th wave moving forward from a speaker is going to have great pressure than the 180* wave simply for the fact that the face of the speaker is moving the air. If the speaker is facing away from the mic, you wont have that added compression forcing air towards the mic.

When you see SUVs with a system, they have the speakers facing the rear too and it makes the sound appear louder and you feel it more. In that sense, the speakers push the air towards the back of the SUV, which forces the air up and back towards the front along the roof. Which makes your head feel it more.

If you had it facing towards the seat, it cant move that air and you lose that affect.

Not to mention, the face of the speaker looks better than the back of the box does.

If you want to do competition though... put each speaker in the back of your trunk (behind the tail lights) and have them facing each other. Then when you put the mic in there it has them blasting from each side.. not just one
Old 02-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
not only that... but in competitions you are measuring sound pressure. Th wave moving forward from a speaker is going to have great pressure than the 180* wave simply for the fact that the face of the speaker is moving the air. If the speaker is facing away from the mic, you wont have that added compression forcing air towards the mic.

When you see SUVs with a system, they have the speakers facing the rear too and it makes the sound appear louder and you feel it more. In that sense, the speakers push the air towards the back of the SUV, which forces the air up and back towards the front along the roof. Which makes your head feel it more.

If you had it facing towards the seat, it cant move that air and you lose that affect.

Not to mention, the face of the speaker looks better than the back of the box does.

If you want to do competition though... put each speaker in the back of your trunk (behind the tail lights) and have them facing each other. Then when you put the mic in there it has them blasting from each side.. not just one

Huh? The ideal is to let the wavelength develop. Low frequency sounds are huges waves, they take a while to develop, which is why SUVs tend to be louder then cars, they are longer. You want the wavelength to peak where the mic is at, usually the windshield or kickpanel. Some to reality, or headrest, some do driveby. Each mic location can require a different box, tuning and/or box placement to reach peak numbers. No serious competitor I know doesn't know what resonant frequency his/her vehicle peaks at, where the box needs to be and what tuning it takes to get it to peak there. Then let's not get into legal or outlaw. That changes things all over again.

I don't know of any serious organization that measures in the trunk, unless they are doing port wars. Even then, the globe goes in the port.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
cdigiovanni

not looking for SLP set up... done that already, looking for more sound quality, and heavy bass

had a 08 CTS with 1500w rms hitting 161.4db all day been there done that... sound quality is my this car is going!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigiovanni View Post
not looking for SLP set up... done that already, looking for more sound quality, and heavy bass

had a 08 CTS with 1500w rms hitting 161.4db all day been there done that... sound quality is my this car is going!
161.4 ALL DAY sounds like bull.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
mrray13

161.4 on 1500wrms???? Ummmm, no??? Seriously, no. Unless it was a tweaked out AudioControl mic, in the port...maybe.

Sorry, but like jordan 572 above, I call BS.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
GtsDesigns

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2ss
161.4 is kinda loud, I couldnt get that out of my Atomic 18 and four Orion HCCAs powering it.. but anyhow, to add my humble opinion, the answer depends on the type of box, correct box, etc. I may do a port through on mine, but will have to take the rear window out to do it correctly, maybe i will, anyhow, in my case, you may not see the speakers at all, I dont know yet (they may be inside the box)... but i did noticed you said "SLP" maybe your talking about something else, or you type as fast as i do...lol

but in agreement with others, rear facing (although you should know the answer, with the 161)
GtsDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
cdigiovanni

doing a system for SPL... is easier then sound quality, completely different animals...
fellas' trust me

talk to Lambro at Sound Station in SINY if you need details on how one 18in ULTRA Audio and 6 speakers inside can hit 161.4db
ARC audio amps are a beast!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
mrray13

I've built several spl only setups, and some of these along side world record holders and top competitors. 160db legal, on a TermLab is hard to achieve, damn near impossible for a daily setup, and all of them have way over 1500wrms. Now, put in an AudioControl mic, turn on your heat, and place the mic in the kick with the door open, sure you might see a 161, especially if you tweak the k-factor.

In other words, in the real world, it didn't happen. Period. Say what you want about the shop, but on a real mic, legal, it didn't won't happen.

ARC Audio makes some quality stuff, of that there is no doubt. Very little of it finds it's way into the hands of the loudest people on the planet though. Now, in the hands of SQ fiends, ARC is in it's happy place.

And SPL is only easy up to 150db or so. After that, it gets expotenitally (<--spl?)harder. Since, in theory, it'll take twice the power, or displacment to achieve a 3db gain, or a theorictial doubling of sound, and 160db is 30 times louder then 150db, you do the math. 1500 wrms just isn't going to get it. Not in car. Not on a TermLab. Not in this lifetime.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigiovanni View Post
doing a system for SPL... is easier then sound quality, completely different animals...
fellas' trust me

talk to Lambro at Sound Station in SINY if you need details on how one 18in ULTRA Audio and 6 speakers inside can hit 161.4db
ARC audio amps are a beast!
sorry but no.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
sorry to dig up an old thread but this was the only one I could find that was dealing with front firing or rear firing subs. So I figured it be best to ask here then start a new one.

I'm currently waiting on the ******** FARK from Steve. Then I'll be ordering a box from him but I'm still up in the air regarding front firing or rear firing box. I like to have a nice deep hitting bass, but of course I want it clean and not a lot of excess rattle. Of course I will need to get sound dampener for that. I've seen in another thread 50 sq feet can cover the entire trunk, back deck and doors. Has anyone been able to confirm this?

I plan on running 2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 subs with a T1500-1BDCP amp and the system to running on a 4 ohm load.

I also want to take out the BA system and put in Rockford Fosgate components (T1652) and 6"x9"s (T1692) running off a Rockford Fosgate T600-4 amp.

The door speaker amp will run about 400W RMS and the sub amp will run about 1000W RMS. How well do the 150 amp SS alternators hold up when bass hits running approx 1400W of power?

Another question I have is, has anyone used speaker baffles with their camaros? I know they were recommended to be used in the door speakers in the Colorado I used to drive.

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
The alternators hold up pretty well, at least it has for us so far. One Camaro we built is running over 10k watts with 4 batteries and the alternator is still going. It takes a little while to charge but it hasnt crapped out yet. With the wattage you'll be running you should be in good shape. You might want to upgrade your battery or maybe even add in a second smaller battery. And since those subs are 600w rms, I would run that amp at 2 ohm and get 1500w out of it and turn the amp down, just so that way you get full play out of your subs. For the doors, when you put your components in put dampener on the inside of the outer door shell and on the inner panel around where your speakers will bolt in.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote