Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
At this point, 151.745 gallons used over 3262.1 miles ==== 21.5 mpg overall.

That's right in line with where I expected to be given my driving habits and my typical commute to work (23 miles each way - back roads with stop lights/signs, stop & go freeway, city streets). Given that I replaced my '97 C1500 (5.7L V8 AT), which averaged 13.8mpg over the same driving conditions, I'm pretty happy.

I used 84.6 gallons of gas less than I would have with my truck and basically cut $203 in fuel cost out of my budget over the last 9 weeks (approximately $90/month).

Now, it's time to start figuring out what to do about that exhaust note. Flowmaster should have their new mufflers designed specifically for the V6 Camaro out in the next couple of weeks. Hope it sounds good...guess we'll see.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #16
rolnslo
Rolling along...

First trip in for service @ 6150 miles...11-09-09 to 11-10-09 @ Classic Chevrolet Sugar Land.

1. Take care of the TSB for HVAC update (freezing up on long drives) and add loctite to the spoiler nuts to keep them tight.
2. Update PDIM software from v.CC to v.CE <-- Not done. Didn't have right equipment to do work.
3. Investigate clunk sound when hitting speed bumps and turning at the same time.

Results:
1. TSB work completed.
2. PDIM not done.
3. Spring insulators (bushings) not seated properly. Reseated and lubed contact points.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Mach XL cat-back exhaust system is on it's way from SOLO Performance. Should be here tomorrow. Once it's delivered, I'll contact G-Force Motorsports in Pearland, TX to setup a time for them to install it plus do a before/after dyno comparison. Videos and impressions to follow...
Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
rolnslo
Rolling along...

First off...big thanks to SOLO Performance for the Mach XL cat-back system. Awesome sound and easy install!

I had G-Force Motorsports install my Mach XL system yesterday morning. Comments from them were that these aftermarket kits rarely fit right straight out of the box and can be a pain to install...then they did my exhaust. 17 minutes. That's it...from the time the stock exhaust was off to the time my car was back on the ground and fired up for the first time. They were pleased with the smooth bends, perfect alignment and quick install.

This shop normally works on high power V8s so my V6 was a different sound than they are used to. The first comment out of the tech's mouth after he fired up the car for the first time...."That's unique!". I couldn't help but laugh since that was the type of sound I was going for.

As for dyno results, didn't gain anything and didn't lose anything. That's a good thing since it means that the GM design makes anything behind the cats somewhat invisible to the engine and that adding this exhaust kit didn't mess that up. I really wasn't looking for any gains with this kit, just for sound improvements and to get rid of those stupid looking cans under the rearend.

First impressions...

Initially, the exhaust sounded a bit "boomy" inside the car when I'd get on it. I wasn't quite ready for the change in sound but that's not necessarily a bad thing considering the stealth mode the stock exhaust provided. With the stock exhaust, I couldn't even hear it if I had the radio on, even at a low volume. With the Mach XL, you know it's there when you hit the go pedal but it quietly fades into the background when just cruising along in any gear. I like that. If I want to hear it, I can. If I'm just cruising along, it doesn't overpower the interior with excess sound. Nice balance. Even on my commute in this morning, the exhaust wasn't overbearing while in stop and go traffic but once the bottlenecks opened up...sweet sound!

Cold starts...Definitely louder than stock until the idle drops down from the high idle to normal.

Deceleration sounds...what can I say...it's awesome!

Overall, 100% satisfied with the Mach XL. I don't feel like I'm driving in stealth mode anymore and the sound is certainly fitting for the performance V6 that sits under the hood of a great looking exterior. It used to be that the only people who would turn to look at the car were ones that were already looking in my general direction. Now people turn to find the sound, then they see the car. Even on the drive home from work last night, I took off from a stop sign and a group of 3 guys walking on the sidewalk whipped their heads around before I was even 100 ft from them.

I'll try to get some more video to post this weekend but for now, this is what I've got up on Youtube. It was way too windy yesterday and most of the video I have was ruined by wind noise.

Dyno runs (notice that the dyno whine overwhelms the stock exhaust):

Cold starts:

Attached Images

Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #19
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Since GM has been busy building the Camaro for about 9 months now, I thought I'd check and see how "unique" my build combination was so far using http://camaro.spasticsquirrel.com/.

1 of 65233: All 2010 Camaros in database
1 of 8928: 1LT
1 of 1191: 1LT/M6
1 of 546: 1LT/M6/RS
1 of 66: 1LT/M6/RS/VR_ext
1 of 54: 1LT/M6/RS/VR_ext/Blk_int
1 of 38: 1LT/M6/RS/VR_ext/Blk_int/NoStripes
1 of 31: 1LT/M6/RS/VR_ext/Blk_int/NoStripes/NoSunRoof
1 of 29: 1LT/M6/RS/VR_ext/Blk_int/NoStripes/NoSunRoof/NoR6P
1 of 2: 1LT/M6/RS/VR_ext/Blk_int/NoStripes/NoSunRoof/NoR6P - IN TEXAS

Not too bad. 1 of 2 in Texas and probably the only one like it here with hood spears and a Solo cat-back exhaust.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
rolnslo
Rolling along...

10,000 MILES!

Hit 10,000 miles as I got to work this morning.

Average speed over those 10k miles...29.0mph (ugh! ).

No major (or even minor, really) problems and I'm as happy with it as the day I picked it up!

Hoping the weather warms back up soon and the sun comes out, my poor car needs a good cleaning and a fresh coat or two of Zaino. It's 40 degrees and raining today here in Houston.

Onward to 20,000 miles now...

:5thgenvert:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #21
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Great day yesterday for a car show - 1st Annual Camaro Show at the Kemah Boardwalk! Sunny, 85 and surrounded by dozens of other awesome 2010 Camaros.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #22
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Looking Good... was a great show...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #23
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Well, crap! Car's in the shop.

I took it in for 3 issues:

1. Fish out the loose spoiler nuts that fell off and apply the LOCTITE that they were supposed to when I brought the car in for the TSB work back in Nov '09.
2. Replace the cover at the base of the driver's side windshield wiper that broke/fell off.
3. Look into why 2nd gear was so much more difficult to shift into than any other gear.

Took the tech for a test drive yesterday morning and explained what the shifter felt like going into 2nd. He hopped in to give it a shot and immediately managed to grind the gears going into 2nd.

"Yep, I'd say there's a problem here..." Well, duh!

He tried a second time but backed off the shift when he felt the resistance going into 2nd. He called the GM engineers yesterday to see if they could offer any assistance in figuring out the problem. Call was returned this morning....
  • Known issue with the V6-M6 transmission.
  • Problem is likely with the 1,2 syncro.
  • Pull transmission, tear down, inspect and replace parts as needed.
  • Out of commission until Monday at least, depending on parts availability.

Obviously, the delay in building the V6 M6 Camaros last spring didn't matter much, since they originally held up production for issues that people are still seeing. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=433444

Will update once they tear into the tranny and figure out what needs to be done.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
T_MECO

Drives: 2013 SS/RS 1LE
good luck man - hope you get it back on the road soon
T_MECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #25
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Latest update on my Camaro...

1. Transmission pulled from car. (cat-back exhaust and drive shaft were removed so the tranny could be removed).
2. Torn down and inspected.
3. 2nd gear is shot. Said I was lucky it was still usable when I brought it in.
4. GM Regional Rep was in town this week doing audits and took a look at the transmission/parts.
5. Dealer can't order new replacement part because the part number for 2nd gear was not available in the system. (Sounds like someone accidentally deleted the part from the system on GM's side.)
6. Dealer located new transmission in stock in Houston.
7. GM Rep to find out if they can pull the needed part from the assembly line and have it shipped (could possibly take up to 30 days).
8. GM Rep to also investigate if dealer can just install new transmission that was located locally. Kind of a cost thing, really.
9. Hoping to have answer on direction (part or new transmission) within a day or two.

In the meantime, I get to drive around in a loaner 2010 Malibu. It is everything I didn't want in my next car when I bought the Camaro. It's screams "I don't care what I drive and want to blend in", it's quiet, it's practically gutless, it's light and airy inside, and it has 4 doors.

But it's full of win for GM though...well built, great MPGs (sweet spot is around 45 mph where average MPG can be maintained for miles between 43 and 48mpg.

I can't wait to get my Camaro back. At least Classic Chevrolet is taking care of me and keeping me up to date on the work.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #26
rolnslo
Rolling along...

While I'm waiting to get my car back, I figured this was a good time to update the plates I've got. I'm tired of explaining that my old plate - FUN44 - does not say fun forty-four.

So, in honor of my car's designation as "the other woman" by my wife, my new plates have been ordered...
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #27
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Well, due to parts availability problems (i.e.,they can't get them at all), GM authorized just putting an entire new transmission in my car. Picked it up this afternoon and everything is working as it should now. Guess time will tell if this new transmission had the same parts as my original transmission or if it has redesigned parts for 2nd gear. Either way, I'm back on the road now, thanks to GM and Classic Chevrolet.

While it was in for service, they also fished out the two spoiler nuts that fell off, put LOCTITE on the spoiler studs, and replaced the nut cover at the base of the driver's side wiper arm.

Mileage: 13798 when I picked it up.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
... GM authorized just putting an entire new transmission in my car ... time will tell if this new transmission had the same parts as my original transmission or if it has redesigned parts for 2nd gear.
A couple of questions:
  • When were parts redesigned for the AY6?
  • What parts were redesigned?
  • Is there a TSB out on it?
My car was built in 3/2010 and I bought it 2 weeks ago, and I'm having the same crunching-into-2nd-gear problem as you did.

For now, it only happens under hard acceleration and when shifting at 6000-7000 rpm from 1st to 2nd.

thanks
SummitWhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote