Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Salsa-

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Acid Rain Damage to Windows & Paint

My 2010 Camaro SS has acid rain damage to the paint and glass. The damage is significant. I bought the car in May 2010 and did not notice any problems until later in the summer driving late in the day with a low sun angle. The glass appeared pitted but I thought maybe it was just the way the glass was made. This year it was so bad that I went to the dealership and complained. Last weekend I looked hard at the paint and in full sunshine at the right angle you can also see acid rain damage to the paint. The dealership has confirmed these issues. My car had 4,000 miles on it when I first address the acid rain with the dealership. It has never been in the rain since I have owned it. It is stored winters in my garage. I keep the car spotless!

The car was built in the Oshawa Ontario plant in May 2010. We believe that the damage probably occurred at the factory while the car was in a storage area, waiting to be shipped. Does anyone else have this problem?

I am not sure if GM is going to take care of these problems. So far we have not gotten anything resolved.
Salsa- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
i didnt know glass can "pit" maybe thats what wrong with my windshield. Always looks splotchy
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
TooManySS's

Drives: Jedi Mind Trick
First off it is not acid rain damage.
That takes some time , years not a rain storm or two.

What you have if its real is just a poor piece of glass and a poor paint job if that or maybe a delivery problem that arose.
TooManySS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Fuel Fire Desire

Drives: 2011 M6 LS
Acid does not affect glass, because glass is non-conductive.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
sounds like your problem occurred at the factory or in shipment.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
I think you might have hard water stains on the glass it makes it really hard to see through and at night it is even worse. I picked up a bottle of Nu Glass it worked well and removed the big spots on the glass. You can check out the site on duraglass.com for more info.
I also spoke with a detailer and they said to lightly use the soft SOS pad with soap on the windows they also recommended trying it out on a drinking glass first just to be safe.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Salsa-

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Acid rain

Thanks for the replies.

GM rep and the dealership have both stated that the problem with my car is acid rain. An independent body shop also confirmed the problems.

We have tried using compounds/glass cleaners and steel wool to clean he glass. We have removed maybe 75% of the etching but the remainder is still terrible. It is significantly etched by the acid in the rain. No one has addressed the paint problem to date.

I saw an article online that a significant acid rain storm followed by hot sun can damage a car from the one event. Oshawa Ont has a big problem with acid rain.

Hopefully someone else who's car was built the same day has recognized this problem.
Salsa- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Salsa, could you direct message me your case number? I'd like to look it over. Thank you!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote