Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
chalkupanother1

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
Anyone use Opti-guard 2.0?

I'm thinking about trying this on my black Camaro....anyone have any luck using? Does it help guarding the paint and minimizing swirls?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Opticoat 2.0, not optiguard. Optiguard is the professional version of opticoat 2.0 and really should be used by professionals (I would not use it myself). The reason is optiguard will flash and harden very quickly as opposed to opticoat which gives you a little more time to knock down high spots.

To answer your question, I have opticoated my vehicle and it is awesome! I highly recommend it!

I have a foamer attachment on my pressure washer. When I used Chemical Guys Citrus Wash N gloss at a dilution level that would strip wax, it would seem to stay on my car for a very long time. After putting on opticoat, I use the same dilution and it just picks up dirt and washes off 10x easier!

Also, most of the time, the pressure wash rinse I have as my first step will knockout 90% of dirt on my car. I do wash my car once a week though.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
chalkupanother1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Opticoat 2.0, not optiguard. Optiguard is the professional version of opticoat 2.0 and really should be used by professionals (I would not use it myself). The reason is optiguard will flash and harden very quickly as opposed to opticoat which gives you a little more time to knock down high spots.

To answer your question, I have opticoated my vehicle and it is awesome! I highly recommend it!

I have a foamer attachment on my pressure washer. When I used Chemical Guys Citrus Wash N gloss at a dilution level that would strip wax, it would seem to stay on my car for a very long time. After putting on opticoat, I use the same dilution and it just picks up dirt and washes off 10x easier!

Also, most of the time, the pressure wash rinse I have as my first step will knockout 90% of dirt on my car. I do wash my car once a week though.
Thanks for the input! Does it seem like the application gives a good barrier to protect the paint from swirling?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkupanother1 View Post
Thanks for the input! Does it seem like the application gives a good barrier to protect the paint from swirling?
No problem, you're going down a path that will make you very happy

Well swirling is only caused by improper washing technique. I can't say truly whether or not it helps stop swirling, but in the forums, people do say that it does.

The best bet would be to invest in opticoat, and if you haven't already, invest in proper swirl free car washes (two buckets with grit guard inserts, quality soap, foam gun or foam cannon, quality microfibers, etc all come to mind).

Nothing will stop swirling 100%, but you can slow it down, regardless of opticoat or not, with the proper technique and products.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
chalkupanother1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
No problem, you're going down a path that will make you very happy

Well swirling is only caused by improper washing technique. I can't say truly whether or not it helps stop swirling, but in the forums, people do say that it does.

The best bet would be to invest in opticoat, and if you haven't already, invest in proper swirl free car washes (two buckets with grit guard inserts, quality soap, foam gun or foam cannon, quality microfibers, etc all come to mind).

Nothing will stop swirling 100%, but you can slow it down, regardless of opticoat or not, with the proper technique and products.
Oh, I'm beyond anal with the washing....CG soaps, dual grit guard buckets, dual sheepskin sponges for top and bottom of car, separate sponge for wheels, foam gun...I even sheet off water than frickin leaf blow it dry...still get swirls. I'll try this in the spring when I do another paint correction....thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Oh, I'm beyond anal with the washing....CG soaps, dual grit guard buckets, dual sheepskin sponges for top and bottom of car, separate sponge for wheels, foam gun...I even sheet off water than frickin leaf blow it dry...still get swirls. I'll try this in the spring when I do another paint correction....thanks!
wow, I have no idea how you get swirls then. That's a more ridiculous setup than mine

I think you will see a reduction in how many swirls you get, but you won't stop them.

Still, the cleaning is so effortless once you have opticoat, you're going to love it!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
The Sandman
Flying Low & Raining 3's

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Ann. Edition
Quote:
I haven't had time to correct my paint prior to the Opti-coat. May be a winter project depending on how warm the temps stay. I have used it on my chrome rims and have been very impressed with how easy the brake dust rinses off. Since the opti-coat, simple soap and water takes weeks worth of brake dust off without the need for scrubbing.
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote