Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #29
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH View Post
I'd choose the same manufacturer that supplies headers used on the Copo Camaro
With the ARH shorties you will see a little bit better gains than the typical shorties. 10-12 rwhp
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #30
SteveDoten@ARH

Drives: 2010 SS, (ARH/Farks 8sec car)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
With the ARH shorties you will see a little bit better gains than the typical shorties. 10-12 rwhp
I was referring to the long tube headers
SteveDoten@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #31
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH View Post
I was referring to the long tube headers
Ah, I thought you were responding to the discussion about shorties. Here is a peek up the skirt of one of the 2013 COPO Camaros rocking the ARH headers.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #32
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Question about header heat

I am seriously considering the Kooks long tubes with high flow cats.

But in a former life I know that header heat is considerable compared to cast iron factory manifolds. The stock manifolds conduct more heat and probably heat soak the engine bay less. In any case what I would like to know does anyone sell wraps for headers or a heat reflection plate that can be mounted to deflect heat down or absorb some of the heat so I don't get as much heat into engine compartment.

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #33
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post

But in a former life I know that header heat is considerable compared to cast iron factory manifolds. The stock manifolds conduct more heat and probably heat soak the engine bay less. In any case what I would like to know does anyone sell wraps for headers or a heat reflection plate that can be mounted to deflect heat down or absorb some of the heat so I don't get as much heat into engine compartment.

Jim
Get them coated. MD Speed is the only vendor on here that I know of that has coating as an option though.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #34
Apex Motorsports

Quote:

Jim
If you are concerned about heat ceramic coating is what you would want to go with. We generally use Jet-Hot when a customer requests it.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #35
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Vendor in phoenix

Quote:
If you are concerned about heat ceramic coating is what you would want to go with. We generally use Jet-Hot when a customer requests it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a vendor in the Scottsdale, Phoenix area that can ceramic coat them that you can recommend?

Anyone have any ideas on how much the coating would cost, and also the header install?

Thanks
Jim
Old 01-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #36
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a vendor in the Scottsdale, Phoenix area that can ceramic coat them that you can recommend?

Anyone have any ideas on how much the coating would cost, and also the header install?

Thanks
Jim
Not in that area. Like I mentioned we ship them to Jet-Hot for coating. It generally runs about $400. Installing headers is about a 2 hour job so depending on labor rates in your area you are probably looking at $150-200.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #37
maxx210

Drives: EVERYTHING BLACK 1SS/RS
Thanks for the awesome freakin info! Ill plan on buying headers and hiflows closer to the summer. But this has been some good "need to know information"!
maxx210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #38
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx210 View Post
Thanks for the awesome freakin info! Ill plan on buying headers and hiflows closer to the summer. But this has been some good "need to know information"!
You are very welcome. Glad that you found it helpful. Just let me know when you are ready to order and we will make it happen.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #39
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Quote:
Not in that area. Like I mentioned we ship them to Jet-Hot for coating. It generally runs about $400. Installing headers is about a 2 hour job so depending on labor rates in your area you are probably looking at $150-200.

Thanks to you and everyone for all the information. Does the coating really help the heat problem a lot? I assume it affects the amount of radiant heat coming off the headers. Still not as conductive as the cast iron manifolds however. Is my concern a real concern or am I begin anal?

Not being a pest just trying to learn.
Jim
Old 01-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #40
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Thanks to you and everyone for all the information. Does the coating really help the heat problem a lot? I assume it affects the amount of radiant heat coming off the headers. Still not as conductive as the cast iron manifolds however. Is my concern a real concern or am I begin anal?

Not being a pest just trying to learn.
Jim
I have never seen the claimed reductions in under hood temperature scientifically demonstrated in hard numbers. It looks great and they cool off quickly, that is about the sum of it. You are not going to see any performance gains from coating, wrapping, etc.. The headers on my Camaro are bare stainless steel.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #41
MrandMrsNinja

Drives: 11' SGM 2SS/13' GT/08' F-150 4x4
Great post!!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #42
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Not a performance thing

Quote:
I have never seen the claimed reductions in under hood temperature scientifically demonstrated in hard numbers. It looks great and they cool off quickly, that is about the sum of it. You are not going to see any performance gains from coating, wrapping, etc.. The headers on my Camaro are bare stainless steel.
Again thanks for the help. I am not interested in performance gains. I have seen and felt the tremendous heat generated by stainless steel headers. I am interested in keeping the heat from heat soaking under the hood, affecting wiring and prematurely ruining other rubber items. In addition I don't believe that the heat under the hood can be good for anything. Supercharger performance, injectors etc.

I was really just trying to keep as much heat as possible from staying under the hood. Rather I would like to see it reflected down to the pavement. Does anyone know of a shield or other item that could do what I am asking.

Jim

Tags
american racing headers, kooks, long tube headers, pfadt, stainless works