Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #71
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I get the feeling this will be the last Z/28. I don't see how Chevy can bring it back with a blown Z06.
....I am with you hobbs to a degree, I think this is a one off, send off 5th Gen ride. This was done intentionally, through GM front office decisions to make it a special collectible ride. The next gen will be different, and the models will be scaled down as well. I feel the Z/28 will not be retired though. The SS should.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #72
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....I am with you hobbs, I think this is a one off, send off 5th Gen ride. Thiis was done intentionally, through GM front office decisions to make it a special collectible ride. The next gen will be different, and the models will be scaled down as well.
Maybe the Z28 will return in place of the 1LE or something.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #73
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Maybe the Z28 will return in place of the 1LE or something.
...I agree, the 1LE could have been the Z/28.... The SS placard has been over used and needs to go to the wayside. Engineering a Z/28 into a ultra expensive world class car smacks in the face of the old school consumers face.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #74
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Number One reason to get a Z/28 over a Vette? I can fit inside the Camaro, but -- at 6'7" -- have never been able to drive a Vette.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #75
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
It's got 4 seats and the track is not the only use for me.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #76
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...I agree, the 1LE could have been the Z/28..... Engineering a Z/28 into a ultra expensive world class car smacks in the face of the old school consumers face.
Agreed whole heartedly OldSchool. I still have my '69 Z/28 since 1973 and have dreamt of these times, without the sticker shock. I am lucky that the stars have apparently lined up for me as I can now afford this car (although I believe like you that they went above and beyond) , my dealer has me for his '15 model, and the wife is happy with it as well
Life is Good !
Now I wonder if they build my car say next December will they ship it with the snow tires, shown elsewhere ?
Maybe they will curtail building during the winter months ???
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #77
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I think the entire issue is whether or not you can afford either one of these great Chevys. So, since I can't afford either one of them, why don't I just fantasize big time and say I'd take one of each!!

Even if you live near a road course where you could actually drive 9/10s, the cost of driving a Z28 or a Z06 for a day, track fees, fuel, tires, oil changes, brake bleedings, etc., etc...the typical Chevy enthusiast couldn't afford it, even if he/she could afford the car. With that said, if I lived in Europe (I did, for 16 years and drove 2 different Corvettes) where you could use the full array of handling characteristics every day, I would go for the Corvette, especially a Z06.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #78
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Even if you live near a road course where you could actually drive 9/10s, the cost of driving a Z28 or a Z06 for a day, track fees, fuel, tires, oil changes, brake bleedings, etc., etc...the typical Chevy enthusiast couldn't afford it, even if he/she could afford the car. With that said, if I lived in Europe (I did, for 16 years and drove 2 different Corvettes) where you could use the full array of handling characteristics every day, I would go for the Corvette, especially a Z06.
I'm about an hour away from the two courses at NJMP. After the cost of the car, everything else is just the cost of a big boy hobby. At most, part of the extra cost of either over a 1LE, plus the consumables, etc.

And if you made the right decision in some other major life matter or otherwise worked it right, track weekends can become the excuse for the two of you to schedule a get-away weekend. I won't even try to put a value on that.

Yeah, one of each.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #79
lostwon

Drives: JST FAST
Life is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
And if you made the right decision in some other major life matter or otherwise worked it right, track weekends can become the excuse for the two of you to schedule a get-away weekend. I won't even try to put a value on that.
Those are some powerful words, Norm.
You speak the truth. Hope you have been as lucky as I have.
Having a wife who shares my love of racing cars is absolutely priceless.

Best Regards,

John (Sorry for the interruption; now back to your regularly scheduled Camaro Z/28 vs. Corvette thread)

Jst Us.....

Last edited by lostwon; 03-18-2014 at 02:32 AM.
lostwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #80
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwon View Post
Those are some powerful words, Norm.
You speak the truth. Hope you have been as lucky as I have.
Having a wife who shares my love of racing cars is absolutely priceless.

Best Regards,

John (Sorry for the interruption; now back to your regularly scheduled Camaro Z/28 vs. Corvette thread)

that is cool. I have tried to get my wife into driving a car (either track or drag) and she just is not interested.

I did teach her to drive a manual and even how to rev match/downshift/heel toe etc but she gets scared of how fast her little VW GLI will get going.

Someday maybe when the kids are older.

As for the Z/28 over the Vette - i am back and forth. I may end up going the 1LE route and build a twin turbo track/drag/daily car with z/28 parts. I am really liking the idea of being able to take the whole family in this car. The corvette sits when going to see a movie or to toys r us etc.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #81
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Because the Z/28 will be a better track car than any new Corvette you can order at a dealer.
The C7 Z06 is on the horizon... by this time next year, it'll likely be the Z06 as a better track car than any new Camaro, lap after lap after lap with the Z07 Performance Pkg. GM stated their preliminary testing already surpassed C6 ZR1's time (broke its lap record). Good thing they are in the same family; and great to be a Camaro & Corvette enthusiast or owner!

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #82
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'm about an hour away from the two courses at NJMP. After the cost of the car, everything else is just the cost of a big boy hobby. At most, part of the extra cost of either over a 1LE, plus the consumables, etc.

Yeah, one of each.

Norm
Im about 45 mins from NJMSP, and one main reason for getting the new Z is for my wife and I to enjoy the hobby together. I would certainly be prepared post track day for the associated cost, and maintenance. I look forward to finally being able to share the hobby I hold dear with my wife, she might just get hooked!
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #83
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
You'll get 100s of opinion here. Mine was one too.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #84
OldScoolCamaro

..what county Norm?