Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
I have yet to sit in a camaro, but, have at least seen the cloth interior. I have driven the 370Z and I can tell you the interior finish on the Z compared to the camaro is "somewhat" nicer. the camaro appears to be a bit blah in comparison. I really should not make that comparison until I actually see the leather SS. However, without nav the Z will run you $38k+ and is only a 2 seater. With nav it jumps to right at $41k. So, the camaro w/o nav is still a much better buy for pure power.
When you 'somewhat nicer' are you reffering to the interior materials or styling? Perception of materials quality is a bit less suggestive than styling, which I much prefer on the Camaro.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
General appearance and finish. Really more of a "first" impression than anything else. The camaro interior I have seen first hand seemed all one very dark color. Now, I will say the Z had a sun roof and let in more light so that makes a big difference too. It is my belief, after seeing the new buick lacrosse, that the ABL in the camaro will make all the difference in the world. I am not trying to be negative towards the camaro, just an observation.

It won't change my mind about buying the 2 SS/RS. I am not buying it because of the interior! I do think if the ABL was working, more people would be slobbering over the show cars!!!
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
Redwolf20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Who is to say the others aren't overpriced? A higher price doesn't necessarily equate to better quality or vice versa.

Like someone said above....quality is really subjective.
Redwolf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
2010 SS
Elderly Man

Drives: Your Local Bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwolf20 View Post
Who is to say the others aren't overpriced? A higher price doesn't necessarily equate to better quality or vice versa.
Exactly! Which is why I'm wondering why Chevy/GM didn't attempt to charge what they could've.

.....Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they didn't, but since when were manufacturers so generous?
2010 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS View Post
Exactly! Which is why I'm wondering why Chevy/GM didn't attempt to charge what they could've.
World domination.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
Redwolf20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS View Post

.....Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they didn't, but since when were manufacturers so generous?
Since they are hurting for cash and the economy is in shambles - for now. I believe they are banking on volume sold vice cash per car and I think they'll succeed.

The 2LT V6 is an incredible car for its price and will sell like hot cakes when fully commercialized and word of mouth gets around.
Redwolf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Much of the engineering work on the Camaro had been done previously. 2/3 engines are borrowed from other cars, and the other is the addition of a pre-existing technology to the LS3. The suspension is used in the G8 (and others). The transmissions are also used elsewhere in the GM lineup (I think). The chassis itself is a holden design which made its debut a couple years ago and has been modified for the Camaro. So a lot of the expensive engineering bits had already been payed for. Then take a look at features and GM has skimped a bit for the base models. And for the most part, exterior and interior design depend mostly on material and not shape. So styling didn't really add or save much money.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #22
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwolf20 View Post
Since they are hurting for cash and the economy is in shambles - for now. I believe they are banking on volume sold vice cash per car and I think they'll succeed.

The 2LT V6 is an incredible car for its price and will sell like hot cakes when fully commercialized and word of mouth gets around.
It sure is. If I was in my senior year of high school (wow, 23 years ago) I'd be on that like white on rice. A fully loaded 300HP Camaro for $27k ? A base model, still with 300HP, for $23k ? They won't be able to make them fast enough for the general population once an actual marketing blitz comes on line and ours are seen driving around on the streets this summer. And that my friends is EXACTLY what GM needs right now and why it's "so cheap". My .02
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #23
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
I'll give you an example of "quality at a glance"....that would be the orange peel in the paint. The cars we have seen so far have not been factory paint quality. They have been specially painted and gone over by hand before the public has seen them. I would assume this means they are of a higher quality than the factory paint would be.
If that is the case they have a LOT of room for improvement, and if the factory paint is worse than what we have seen so far many people are not going to be happy with their cars.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #24
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ
In the old days Chevrolet was more about pricing and value. The working man's car so to speak.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #25
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great KJ View Post
In the old days Chevrolet was more about pricing and value. The working man's car so to speak.
And they used to call the Camaro the poor man's Corvette. There is nothing "poor" about $36k...
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #26
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4ce View Post
Camaro offers great performance for the least amount of money.

The camaro also has plenty of new technology...the Launch Control, No-lift, New Zeta II platform, Stability Control, Traction Control, Sport Mode...yep...we gonna have fun and not have to worry about hitting any walls or going off cliffs
Where can you find out what all those technologies do? I'm kinda lost on all those gadjets.
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #27
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Ford has always been higher prices for less everything. If you go way back to 67, Ford has the worst performance for price. Ford parts are at least 20% higher than Chevy or Dodge. As for Dodge, they have been historically in the middle on both fronts. It just seems like Chevy is more concerned about the customer over the years then the other two.
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #28
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
General appearance and finish. Really more of a "first" impression than anything else. The camaro interior I have seen first hand seemed all one very dark color. Now, I will say the Z had a sun roof and let in more light so that makes a big difference too. It is my belief, after seeing the new buick lacrosse, that the ABL in the camaro will make all the difference in the world. I am not trying to be negative towards the camaro, just an observation.

It won't change my mind about buying the 2 SS/RS. I am not buying it because of the interior! I do think if the ABL was working, more people would be slobbering over the show cars!!!

OK... I see. The vast dark expanse is what I like about the interior; it is very simple in it's overall design and utilitarian without being too spartan... unequivocally unique.

The Z interior is far to fussy for me... it looks like a cockpit of a mecha robot.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote