Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruv3451 View Post
I carry a doctors note/rx for my window tint. I get it renewed every 2 years and have done so for at least 20 years. Been pulled over twice for window tint in that 20 years and both times got out of it. And my tint is NOT within the legal limit

I do wear glasses/contacts so I suppose I have an advantage.
Lucky
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
A Town

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS LS3
I use to have that same problem with tints. But my lawyer told me a way around that. You have to go to a eye doctor to get an exam and tell them your eyes hurt in the sun while your driving mostly they will give you a Prescription to get 20% tint anything lower then that I can't help. Lol
Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
After studying the facts, the best thing I can come up with is MOVE OUT OF CALIFORNIA!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
kold

Drives: 2011 LS White Camaro
yeah i have been pulled over for the same things but they usually just ignore the tint on the windows since i only got 35%, not that its not illegal as well but they can see through the car. Taillights tinted/painted are illegal as well. Its not just fresno, it will happen everywhere in cali unless the cop is kool to just let it slide. I would change ur taillights or take the tint off cause u have to go to a police/chp station and they can just site u there for it.
kold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #19
NJCamaro21

Drives: 2011 Summit White 1LT
Check your state laws on the taillight tint. Here in NJ cops will say remove tint on the tails, but if you know the law like I do, its not illegal per se. The lights just have to be seen from 500 ft away when the break lights or driving lights at night are on. Which is what I always tell them and that ends their bs. They just try to act like they know every rule and scare people into doing things. So check your state law. NJ has some of the strictest tint laws in the country, so I'm sure you will be fine.
NJCamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
Teamradrz1

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Y'all are kidding, right? DOT has standards based on research over the years, which determines colors/tints of lights, tail lights, side markers, etc. It's a safety issue and I am all for enforcement of those standards. As far as I know, every state has them. Until he sees you again and tickets you for the lights. Just get them within the legal limit and be done with it.

I'm curious, with your responses "FOLLOW THE LAWS" are you telling me you don't speed with your camaro not even 5MPH over? I find your posts to the OP like the little tattle tales in school who don't have any fun or friends because they never break any rules. Lets be clear we are talking about tint not driving dangerously or street racing just tint.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Tint on lights and reflectors can be very dangerous. As they are not just for the driver, but also for other motorists and pedestrians to see you better.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
blahzay

Drives: Camaro SS
I have had Limo tint on ALL my cars and Ive been born and raised in Cali. I get AT LEAST 3 tinted window tickets a year. My nephew is a police officer and he would just sign them off for me BUT I noticed that the police officers are starting to write that I can only have the tint written off at an actual station :-/

So what I do now is go back to my tint shop and have them remove my 2 front tints ($20), I go to the station and get the tint written off ($10) and then I go straight back to the tint shop and retint ($40) and just hope I dont get caught again.

Now on my last car that had Limo tint also had a sunroof. So what I did was wait for a really sunny day and put the sunroof back and parked my car so the sun was facing my car from the side. I went to the police station and had them come out and check. With that much light beaming in your car you can still see thru limo tint and the guy just wrote it off. Of course I small talk while hes checking "Soooooo how about them Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, etc".
blahzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
Why can't you do lights? Didnt know that was even a law against it

cause there will be assholes that will tint them so dark you won't hardly be able to see them and rear end them. in which case it would be the fault of the person running into the car.

Hell, just look whats happened with headlights. because you can change them you now have assholes driving around with lights so bright you can barely look in there direction, and all shades of blue and purple out there. it won't be long before cities and states look to do something about that too.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
JustRaf
YOU.ONLY.LIVE.ONCE

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Tint on lights and reflectors can be very dangerous. As they are not just for the driver, but also for other motorists and pedestrians to see you better.
I understand that Sir but the painted tail lights that i have on my car works like factory ones only the color is black but they illuminates like factory red ones.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #25
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRaf View Post
I understand that Sir but the painted tail lights that i have on my car works like factory ones only the color is black but they illuminates like factory red ones.
I hate to say I told you so... the fact is any tint / paint is illegal to have on any vehicles tail lights (in California), regardless if its visible or not...

Like others have said, I would get some new tail lights, and remove your window tint...

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #26
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
I hate to say I told you so... the fact is any tint / paint is illegal to have on any vehicles tail lights (in California), regardless if its visible or not...

Like others have said, I would get some new tail lights, and remove your window tint...
this. Come on guys. Tail lights are a DOT deal. Department of Transportation. Transportation is using your car. if you don't meet DOT regulation's then they will pick on you. There are more to tail lights then "bulbs" and having them function "like stock" There are reflectors in there and they serve a purpose as well as brake lights.

in regards to tint. Since you live in california, there is no tint allowed on the front windows other then the clear stuff.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRaf View Post
After getting a haircut and looking handsome again. Anyway, the cop decided to pulled me over due to my tinted windows he cited me a ticket and ask to remove it but wait theres still more he also ask that I cannot my new painted tail lights. But I am very confused bec on the fix it ticket its only mentioned the window tint not the tail lights at all? Any help please should I tossed my tail lights too or just go for what the ticket which is the window tint? I hate this town really!!
It sounds to me like he wrote the ticket for the window tints, but warned you that he could have cited you for the tinted tail lights as well.

It's up to you if you choose to heed his warning and get rid of the tint on the tail lights, or ignore his advice and risk getting a ticket down the road for it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
JustRaf
YOU.ONLY.LIVE.ONCE

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post

Haha!! I will remove only the tint as what stated on the ticket.