Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #15
jaymoo7

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 A6
That's what I was looking at the Z06. I test drove it and really liked it.
jaymoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #16
jaymoo7

Posted pics of the black one I drove here. The yellow one had the Z07 package and was sold already.
http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387292
Old 01-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
mrmarklin

Drives: ZL1 Blueray Metallic
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoo7 View Post
As the title says. I'm just a little curious as to how did you like it or didn't as well as pros and cons. I have done many of searches just looking for a non bias answer. I don't track the car (course or drag) but I do drive spiritedly it's also my DD.
I need the backseat for my 5 yo granddaughter. No change for me!
mrmarklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #18
Txt

Drives: ZL1
I have a 2013 ZL1 (560 rwhp, 540 rwtq) and a 2015 Z06 on order. Should be receiving the Z06 sometime in March. The Z51 is too tame for me.
Txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #19
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
After test driving a bit I bought one not to replace the ZL1 but to use as a daily driver. The Z06 are very nice but I just couldn't bring myself to putting a bunch of miles on one of those, plus no room for any price negotiation at all on those right now. Got a used 2014 with the Z51 package. The only thing I will say is if you are over 6 ft tall the car is really not set up for you. I'm only 5'11" and I have the seat as low as it can go and sometimes I feel I'm staring straight at the sun visors, if you are close to a signal light you have to crouch down to see it. But it drives very nice and the power to weight is pretty respectable. It feels feather light compared to the Camaro but there is no storage room in the car....My wallet barely fits in the center console, my tums bottle doesn't fit in the door pocket...lol.
Attached Images

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #20
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyp View Post
Think it depends on what your plans are for the car. I'm quite undecided right now. I have a 2012 vette, base model. Spouse has a '14 Z51 3LT Stingray. I've just finished a few test drives in a manual ZL1, and holy crud, am I in love. I've used the C6 as my DD for the past 14 months, but for 80 miles a day over some rough roads, it's beating me up pretty good. As someone else mentioned, the C7 is like a razor - it's sharp, precise, and an extremely intense yet easy to drive funmobile. But, I don't think I can do it as a DD, which is why I'm thinking about the ZL1. Feels like a super muscle car with high comfort factor, versus true super car with luxury, but not necessarily daily comfort.

Update - I bought the ZL1. I feel it's the better daily driver which is my need. BUT, for pure fun factor ... man, the stingray is kick @$$.
I think you will be extremely happy. I have a '14 2LT C7 for the week and I don't think it is as good of a daily driver as my ZL1. I am 6'3 280 and I also feel like I am staring at the sun visors, can hit my head on the hard targa parts, and the ZL1 has better equipment overall (better brakes, magnetic wasn't on this C7, plastic crap everywhere inside the C7, horrible gearing, and the C7 doesn't even get better mileage for me).

The C7 is a nice car, but I don't see you wanting to drive it everyday. It does get a lot of attention though, and it sounds AMAZING!
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #21
brian-nicola

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Dear Old Jedi,
You are my new HERO! That sir is a man cave. Does your wife give lessons in wife 101? Although I can't complain too much....
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #22
Kmax

Drives: 2012 ZL1 125HP kit , EIBACH springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I love the new Stingray but simply cannot get rid of my ZL1. My wonderful wife let me keep the ZL1 and buy a Z51 too. The two are very much alike and very different at the same time. The ZL1 is like driving old school muscle and driving the Vette is like driving a scalpel. I have tracked the ZL1 at Sebring and Homestead. I look forward to tracking the Vette soon.

I hate you!
Kmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #23
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
After test driving a bit I bought one not to replace the ZL1 but to use as a daily driver. The Z06 are very nice but I just couldn't bring myself to putting a bunch of miles on one of those, plus no room for any price negotiation at all on those right now. Got a used 2014 with the Z51 package. The only thing I will say is if you are over 6 ft tall the car is really not set up for you. I'm only 5'11" and I have the seat as low as it can go and sometimes I feel I'm staring straight at the sun visors, if you are close to a signal light you have to crouch down to see it. But it drives very nice and the power to weight is pretty respectable. It feels feather light compared to the Camaro but there is no storage room in the car....My wallet barely fits in the center console, my tums bottle doesn't fit in the door pocket...lol.
Love the color! But wow, you're having issues with the roof line? I'm 6'2" and have about 1.5" of head room in my Camaro and with a helmet it rubs the roof even after adjusting the seat.

I really like the new Corvette's too..
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #24
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Love the color! But wow, you're having issues with the roof line? I'm 6'2" and have about 1.5" of head room in my Camaro and with a helmet it rubs the roof even after adjusting the seat.

You will probably still fit ok, but you might not fit with a helmet. The C7 has similar headroom as the ZL1 if you play with the seat settings a ton -- adjusted back and down isn't going to give you the most headroom in a C7.
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #25
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I am 6'0 and had the same issues with my '14 Stingray. And the passenger side of the C7 is even a little more cramped. The car is awesome but man, the C7 interior fit - for ME - was challenging.

It was easier to get in and out of the C7 than my Gen IV a Viper coupe. But once inside, it didn't feel a LOT more roomier.

The C6 Vette feels roomier to me. But my ZL1 is awesome and comfortable. My only complaint is the loss of headroom due to the sunroof. But it's worth it!

2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #26
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I'm currently toying with either getting rid of the ZL1 and getting a Z06, or keeping the ZL1 and trying to find a used stingray for a good price....

I Just don't think I can let go of the ZL1 after everything I've put into it....although I don't drive it anywhere near as much as I used to since the last round of mods....catless, headers, and the corsa kind of put me off driving it for a while there as it was just too much haha...

Adding resonators and having a ton of fun with it this weekend however and I'm back in love!!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #27
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Sorry OP I kind of hijacked your thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post

The Camaro roof seems flat compared to the corvette. I feel like there is a ton of room in the Camaro but do have to lower the seet when wearing a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhpchris View Post
You will probably still fit ok, but you might not fit with a helmet. The C7 has similar headroom as the ZL1 if you play with the seat settings a ton -- adjusted back and down isn't going to give you the most headroom in a C7.
I think I can get a helmet on in the corvette but even with the seat all the way down the corvette roof is more bubbled so the sun visors and mirror seem really low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I am 6'0 and had the same issues with my '14 Stingray. And the passenger side of the C7 is even a little more cramped. The car is awesome but man, the C7 interior fit - for ME - was challenging.

It was easier to get in and out of the C7 than my Gen IV a Viper coupe. But once inside, it didn't feel a LOT more roomier.

The C6 Vette feels roomier to me. But my ZL1 is awesome and comfortable. My only complaint is the loss of headroom due to the sunroof. But it's worth it!

There may not be much more space in the ZL1 but the way the car is designed it feels much larger to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
I'm currently toying with either getting rid of the ZL1 and getting a Z06, or keeping the ZL1 and trying to find a used stingray for a good price....

I Just don't think I can let go of the ZL1 after everything I've put into it....although I don't drive it anywhere near as much as I used to since the last round of mods....catless, headers, and the corsa kind of put me off driving it for a while there as it was just too much haha...

Adding resonators and having a ton of fun with it this weekend however and I'm back in love!!
Yeah I got a little crazy with the mods on my ZL1.... and it is in the shop again now...lol. But after about 500 miles in the C7 this week I'm really starting to fall in love with the stingray..... It does not have near the muscle my ZL1 has but it is a blast on the twistys.

Back to the original question on the post, If you are a corner guy and can live without any extra space inside the car, get the C7. If you like the raw power and straight line acceleration the ZL1 has it beat and has room to spare. The cars are polar opposites when you drive them, the ZL1 will flat run down the highway but when you put it into the corners you can feel its heft, on my best ZL1 lap times the tires are just howling on every turn.... ZL1 turns but lets you know it does not really like it much. The corvette is the opposite, throw it into corners at crazy speeds and it doesn't make a sound or a wiggle right to the point you can feel the tires chattering on the edge of grip. If you get on a long straight and push the throttle in the Corvette, the engine noise seems to just be screaming and you are so low to the ground that it just magnifies the sensation that the thing is really pushing to run tripple digits.. Plus in the comfort modes the ZL1 seems smoother to me. They really are both great cars...but If you run straights the ZL1 is better and if you run corners the C7 is better.....just my opinion.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #28
jaymoo7

No problem Jess. Like I stated in the first post, I don't track nor drag the Zl1 it is completely stock and my DD. I just wanted to see other opinions and see if anyone made the switch.