Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
ittybittyfds

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 M6 #495
3rd gear no longer smooth on M6

ok guys i am now noticing that shifting into 3rd gear now is no longer smooth and quiet.
whenever i go into 3rd now the shift is ruff and not smooth.

all other gears are fine just 3rd
any ideas
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Is it smooth when it warms up? If it's just when cold, sometimes a better synthetic Dex III lube can help that.

I made mine worse by putting in Amsoil Dex III. I should have searched more before I changed it. Turns out some synthetics are a bit thinner than others and the TR6060 prefers a thinner Dex III when cold. The Amsoil works great at warm temps, but made my shifting - especially 3rd real notchy/grindy when cold.

I might try Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.

If it does it all the time, might be a synchro gone whacky.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
ittybittyfds

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 M6 #495
do you mean change all the fluid or are you talking about a spray lube?
its ruff all the time
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
I have this issue but it is very random. I brought it to the dealer for the exact same symptoms and they basically thought I was crazy. They had two people drive it roughly 10 miles and they couldn’t feel it. I left the dealership and got on it a little I noticed it right away. I am going to bring it to another dealer and see what they say.
ABM 2SS/RS #33390
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
The only gear I've 'missed' when driving spirited is third. Don't know of that is related, but personally I think most of the gears aren't very smooth when shifting into them. I'd also recommend trying some oil/lube. If that doesn't fix it def take it to the dealer.

Also, could you give some more details about shifting? Just normal driving, speeds, etc? Or are you getting on it and trying to shift hard and whatnot?
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Bill Dillow

Drives: 2005 2500HD DuraMax, 2010 SS/RS Bla
Same issue here with 3rd gear. I noticed it since day one but it appears to be worse in the cold. However, it basically goes away after driving 10 miles or so. It's just not a smooth shift for some reason when driving "normal". When I'm on it, it seems fine?
Bill Dillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Thats how mine started...

I am dealing with the same issues, except that mine has progressed to all the gears. If I'm in any gear and just accelerate, no clutch, just in gear and push harder on the gas, I get a hard knocking sound. My dealer couldnt hear it either. I'm taking it to another dealer after I get back in country. With mine it's painfully obvious but they claim they only hear exhaust noise. Oh well... the reason I'm not stressing over it isI know it's under warranty and it's getting worse fast enough that I know it will either break soon or another dealer will say WTF??? New Transmission time...

No Problems...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
C377
Wannabe Camaro Owner

Drives: Camaro 2011
Some times simple things can make a difference.

Make sure you press the clutch all the way when when you change gears. Make sure that you floor mat will not interfere with the clutch.
Make sure that when you change from 2nd to 3rd you do not "push" BUT that you insert 3rd gear. Same when you are down shifting.

Bad habits can become expensive over time, and once a clutch, flywheel( I still think they should use a dual flywheel) or any other transmission element start to wear off there is not much you can do with your habits anymore.

The dealers, will not notice such noise, or will not want to notice such noise. This type of wear is not shown in the computer warning systems, so it is just a subjective problem at the moment.

Questions. Did you remove the skip shift? did you do any other modifications?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
larietrope

Drives: 1970 Boss 302
I thought I e was experiencing a shifting problem to third till I realized I was trying
to shift more towards fifth than third. Make sure your shift throw is more straight. Works for me.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Bill Dillow

Drives: 2005 2500HD DuraMax, 2010 SS/RS Bla
Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
I thought I e was experiencing a shifting problem to third till I realized I was trying
to shift more towards fifth than third. Make sure your shift throw is more straight. Works for me.
Not really a problem for me, just doesn"t seem as smooth at the engaging point. Third is an easy gear as changing from second to third is almost effortless. I can see where it would be an issue if you try to force it or if you are one to have a tight grip on the shifter.
Bill Dillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Have the dealer look at it, use that warranty while it lasts!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybittyfds View Post
do you mean change all the fluid or are you talking about a spray lube?
its ruff all the time
The 4 qts of Dex III in the trans.

It use to be with these Tremec 6 speeds that if you put synthetic Dex III in there they shifted smoother. I've put Amsoil Dex III in a few Vettes with real good results. This Camaro seems a bit different though, when I put the Amsoil in this trans, 3rd became a bit notchier going into 3rd when cold.

I'll probably switch back to regular Texaco Dex III that came OEM, or maybe try Mobil 1 or Royal Purple that I have heard works good. They seem to have a lighter cold viscosity which may be what the synchros like better when cold.

When I changed mine I did notice that the factory fill seem really thin coming out compared to the Amsoil I put in there. I thought that was going to be a good thing, but 3rd doesn't like it when cold.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by C377 View Post
Some times simple things can make a difference.

Make sure you press the clutch all the way when when you change gears. Make sure that you floor mat will not interfere with the clutch.
Make sure that when you change from 2nd to 3rd you do not "push" BUT that you insert 3rd gear. Same when you are down shifting.

Bad habits can become expensive over time, and once a clutch, flywheel( I still think they should use a dual flywheel) or any other transmission element start to wear off there is not much you can do with your habits anymore.

The dealers, will not notice such noise, or will not want to notice such noise. This type of wear is not shown in the computer warning systems, so it is just a subjective problem at the moment. Dohhhh!!!

Questions. Did you remove the skip shift? did you do any other modifications?
Yup, simple things are sometimes the answer... but... I do push the clutch in all the way, no floor mat issues and I do not ride around with my foot resting on the clutch etc... ( That destroys the throwout bearing, which disengages the clutch when you press the clutch pedal for those that don't know...)

There is a known issue with the synchronizers in a few of these Tremec trannies. GM has been very good about replacing them to my knowledge, hence, I am not worried about it. I am dealing with a dealer technician that hasn't ridden around much in my car nor has he driven it more than a few miles....

If you are the primary operator and you don't notice issues develop over time, then you are paying too much attention to the cell phone or something else.... Lets see, put in gas, press on gas pedal, go...

It isn't that simple... I don't talk on the cell phone, I pay attentioon to the situation around me, like where I'm going, whats around me, (what is the idiot on the cell phone, drinking coffee, eating a donut, typing in an address on the GPS, changing clothes and reading the daily brief for the latest social event all at the same time, going to do...) road conditions etc...

Some things can be simplified, but as a mechanical engineer, that has to pay attention to details, I also understand when something isn't as it should be...My transmission is sick, the dealer technician hasn't recognized it yet, so I'm waiting for it to either break, (new transmission) or for it to get bad enough for them to recognize it...(new transmission). Am I looking for a handout... uhmm no, the car is brand new, 1600 miles, and I am not going to drive a car that makes this much improper noise for a 100,000 miles or more... I've ridden in other Camaros, and none of them make this noise...Other Camaro owners have ridden with me and said WTF ???

As for finding the correct gear selection slot... thats a non issue as I have the MGW shifter installed and it virtually will not allow you to go to the wrong place...It is a little demanding going from 5th to 6th, but thats by design and will loosen up with usage. All shifters (mechanical moving objects) develop a little slop, and so when this one loosens up, it should be perfect... Love it, wouldn't change it for anything...

Kudo's to George for a Great Product... It's a mechanical homerun IMO...

Now I'm just waiting for GM to figure out my trans is sick and then I'll have a new one with hopefully no problems...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
baranowski

Drives: 1968 Bronco,2001 Fatboy,2010 SS
Well time to sound like a dunmb ass, what the heck is a "M6"
baranowski is offline   Reply With Quote