Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
Zaneschevy

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
CEL P1153 2010 Camaro SS

Hey guys! Went to remote start the car the other day and waited to hear the growl of the Kooks LT's and Corsa Cat back and nothing.. Hmm.. Hop in the car, crank it up, lo and behold.. CEL. Car seems to be running fine, so I head to Autozone to get the code and the guy says there are 3 codes, all of them the same. He prints me out the little receipt explaining what it is and it seems to be the Bank 2 Sensor 1 O2 sensor.

I've probably driven the car a total of 300 miles since having the LT's and Corsa installed and my tuner is telling me to replace the O2 sensor. I don't mind replacing it, I am just wondering if replacing it is going to fix the root cause of the problem. The tuner is a guy from work, and he seems very knowledgeable, but at the same time, I feel that he may need to freshening up on his skills. I understand that this can be a very tedious process (tuning), and it only took him 30 minutes to "butt dyno" tune it. The stock tune, I am pretty sure he just took most of the restrictions off, but after the LT's, he just adjusted everything by 1%. I have no experience in tuning at all, but it seems like it would take more than that. So, I am not sure if the car is actually tuned right, and if that may be the root cause of the CEL. Any feedback and suggestions are welcome and I appreciate all of it.

Oh and he said he deleted the rear O2 sensors. I

Thanks,

Zane

Last edited by Zaneschevy; 11-05-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Zaneschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Zaneschevy

BUMP.. No recommendations or advice to send my way?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Zaneschevy

***UPDATE***

I just got back from my tuner and he cleared the code. Drove the car home, liberally, and did not get a code. I would assume if it was a bad O2 sensor, the code would have came back immediately. Or is this not the case?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
depends , codes may not show up immediately. sometimes they can come back within 50 miles. only way to know for sure is to keep driving it and see if it comes back or not
Old 11-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
scottymac

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro
Do you have a cold air intake? Have you tried cleaning the MAF? Did your friend adjust the timing or the fuel trims? I would first suspect the code you got is a result of something upstream of the O2 sensor causing an air/fuel ratio problem. Of course it is possible the O2 sensor is fouled too. Start with cleaning the MAF then verify timing & fuel trims. Don't just throw parts at it assuming the error code is the root cause. YMMV...

p.s. DO NOT let someone dick with your timing and/or fuel trims based on a "butt dyno". You can grenade your engine real fast like that.
scottymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Zaneschevy

Scotty,

First, thank you for your reply. I do have a CAI intake and a VMAX throttle body. As far as cleaning the MAF, I am not sure what to do exactly. Mass airflow sensor is what comes to mind when I see that. Do I just pull the MAF and wipe it down? Also, I know he indeed messed with the fuel trims after the header install; though, he himself said he didn't adjust much just bumped the fuel a little bit. Like I said, he performed the stock tune on the car which pretty much took all of the restrictions off, then he did the post-header install tune and bumped the fuel trim by 1% from the first tune he did.

Ugh the term "grenade engine" is my worst nightmare. I am seriously considering just getting an email tune and let him throw it on with HPTuner software.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
Zaneschevy

Mydream,

Thanks for the reply. I drive the car like once or twice a week due to having a work truck, and even when I do drive it, it's only a 30 mile round-trip. I will definitely keep my eyes on it and take it easy so as not to snap my chit up. At first I thought my lack of driving may have been the cause of the issue, but that does not seem to be the case.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
scottymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaneschevy View Post
Scotty,

First, thank you for your reply. I do have a CAI intake and a VMAX throttle body. As far as cleaning the MAF, I am not sure what to do exactly. Mass airflow sensor is what comes to mind when I see that. Do I just pull the MAF and wipe it down? Also, I know he indeed messed with the fuel trims after the header install; though, he himself said he didn't adjust much just bumped the fuel a little bit. Like I said, he performed the stock tune on the car which pretty much took all of the restrictions off, then he did the post-header install tune and bumped the fuel trim by 1% from the first tune he did.

Ugh the term "grenade engine" is my worst nightmare. I am seriously considering just getting an email tune and let him throw it on with HPTuner software.
Well with the mods you have it's definitely going to effect the fuel trims on a stock tune...to what degree I couldn't tell you offhand. I just came from the Mustang 4.6 platform to the Camaro. However, I do know you want to have everything dialed in within a "safety zone" so to speak if yours is a daily driver and you don't want to be replacing an engine. If you don't have 100% confidence in your friend's tuning skills I would strongly suggest taking it to a reputable local tuner or get a mail order tune. Don't leave this kind of thing to chance unless you can afford some potentially expensive repairs. My first guess would be your O2 sensor code is a symptom rather than a cause. I could be wrong but it does no good to replace perfectly good parts only to find out it wasn't the problem but rather a symptom.

As for the mass air flow sensor, DO NOT wipe it off with anything or otherwise handle it by any other part other than the end that plugs in to the wiring harness. Get a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner at Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and just spray the sensor. Set it down somewhere clean and dust-free and let it dry. That's it. Re-install it back in to your intake once dry. One speck of dust on the MAF can confuse your ECM and throw the fuel trims off rich or lean and cause an O2 sensor error as well.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
Zaneschevy

I have conceded to getting the car re-tuned, but I haven't decided which route to go. I see and hear a lot of people saying don't do e-mail tunes, but that would obviously be the most convenient. I do have a local dyno tuner that I might just swing by and get them to get everything straight...hopefully.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
scottymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaneschevy View Post
I have conceded to getting the car re-tuned, but I haven't decided which route to go. I see and hear a lot of people saying don't do e-mail tunes, but that would obviously be the most convenient. I do have a local dyno tuner that I might just swing by and get them to get everything straight...hopefully.
I had an email tune for my 2005 Mustang GT. It ran like a scalded dog. It was a night/day difference from the stock tune. I never had any issues with an email tune on that car but then again it only had a JLT intake and an exhaust so it wasn't heavily modified. I honestly don't know what peoples' experiences are with the email tunes for the Camaro. I haven't gone that route yet as I still have a warranty. Do your homework and pick a tuner who has happy customers. YMMV...
Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Zaneschevy

**UPDATE**

I finally got the car in to a reputable, somewhat local tuner and pulled some decent #'s with my mods. I was around 358HP and 368T on a mustang dyno (don't have dyno sheet in front of me). I am relatively happy with the numbers, but a week after I got the car back home CEL comes back on. Same code with the addition of another one. I will need to look again tonight to see exactly what the codes are. I am being told by my original tuner (friend) that I cannot simply tune-out the front o2's because they are needed, so I called the new tuner and let him know what is going on. He recommended I replace the o2 sesnor. No problem, I can do that; however, is there a specific o2 sensor I need to get, or will OE work fine? Any other thoughts or suggestions before I go buy the parts? Thank you all very much!
Old 02-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #12
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Do you have your rear o2 sensors connected?
Old 02-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Zaneschevy

I want to say they are connected, but have been tuned out. Oh, and it is a P0430 code, which is different than the original one I was getting. I guess now my question is, do I call the tuner and put it back on his plate and if so, what needs to be looked at in the tune? Thanks again!

Zane

Last edited by Zaneschevy; 02-13-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to add CEL code
Old 02-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #14
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Disconnect the the rear o2 sensors. Clear the cel and you should be good. Worked for me...