Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
will the I/M monitors ever be "READY"

well I had to change my battery this summer,,, 4.5 years old,, at that time I had no idea about monitors being ready for OBDII e check,,, this was in july. my work was very busy and maybe drove my car 100 miles in the next 2 months. so mid September I need to get my first E check on the car, drove there thinking everything should be fine,,, monitors are not ready because I changed the battery... so I started doing drive cycles ,,, I have now put 650 miles on the car and the evap and catalyst monitors are not ready yet ...

last weekend I get a check engine light P0442 code comes up but my scanner said said evap is ready,,, but still no catalyst ready yet.... well now there is 6 inches of snow and I have 11 days left,,,, looks like I will have to wait till spring and get 30 day tags.

it shouldn't take this long for monitors.....
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Just tune out the evap and catalyst readiness monitors. I did and passed recently.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Gee
Silver Ice

Mine ended up being caused by a gasket leak on the headers.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
bmbbl be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Just tune out the evap and catalyst readiness monitors. I did and passed recently.
livernois tuned my car,,,i'll ask them about it
Old 11-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
bmbbl be

Quote:
Mine ended up being caused by a gasket leak on the headers.
interesting.... i cant hear a leak in mine,, is it very noticeable?
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
scottymac

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
livernois tuned my car,,,i'll ask them about it
It's quite common for tuners to disabled things in the ECM like the O2 sensors. If you ever disconnect the battery or otherwise clear any OBD2 codes on the ECM then the emissions monitors will NEVER reset (if disabled in your tune). This is problematic if you live in an emissions area where they hook up your car to a computer to evaluate your emissions system as part of an annual inspection. The only option at this point is to go back to whomever tuned your car and have them enable your IM sensors. If you have a handheld tuner then just upload the OEM tune for inspection time. This option can be a pain too depending on the mods you have that could set off errors with the OEM tune. You could fimd yourself putting stock parts back on the car to pass emissions too. YMMV...
scottymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
bmbbl be

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac View Post
It's quite common for tuners to disabled things in the ECM like the O2 sensors. If you ever disconnect the battery or otherwise clear any OBD2 codes on the ECM then the emissions monitors will NEVER reset (if disabled in your tune). This is problematic if you live in an emissions area where they hook up your car to a computer to evaluate your emissions system as part of an annual inspection. The only option at this point is to go back to whomever tuned your car and have them enable your IM sensors. If you have a handheld tuner then just upload the OEM tune for inspection time. This option can be a pain too depending on the mods you have that could set off errors with the OEM tune. You could fimd yourself putting stock parts back on the car to pass emissions too. YMMV...
my 02 sensor monitors are ready,,, its the catalyst monitor that is not. I also was told there is nothing in the tune that would be causing this
Old 11-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Gee
Silver Ice

Its not the tune. You have an underlying issue causing the catalyst code to be thrown. Its probably because you have long tube headers and the 02 sensors are further away from the engine than it normally would be. You need to ask them to turn off the monitors that are not ready. Then once you pass, go to a shop to fix the problem or vice versa.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
bmbbl be

Quote:
Its not the tune. You have an underlying issue causing the catalyst code to be thrown. Its probably because you have long tube headers and the 02 sensors are further away from the engine than it normally would be. You need to ask them to turn off the monitors that are not ready. Then once you pass, go to a shop to fix the problem or vice versa.
evap code check light p0442 came on ,,,, catalyst monitor "NOT READY"
Old 11-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
Gee
Silver Ice

Ok. So The people who tuned your car. If they gave you software do this. If they didnt you need to ask them to do this for you in your tune.

You need to Delete MIL P0442. And turn off emission readiness test for Catalyst monitor. If Trifecta was used, I am somewhat versed in their software.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
bmbbl be

Quote:
Ok. So The people who tuned your car. If they gave you software do this. If they didnt you need to ask them to do this for you in your tune.

You need to Delete MIL P0442. And turn off emission readiness test for Catalyst monitor. If Trifecta was used, I am somewhat versed in their software.
1st problem is tuner is 200 miles away... I will email and see what options I have.... thanks
Old 11-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I'm assuming your car has not been tuned. If it has, this might not apply

The catalyst monitor will not run if the computer detects a problem. Monitors will also take long if they are borderline, meaning they are close to failing and so they haven't passed the computer's test nor have they failed

The evap and cat always take the longest, especially evap since it won't run unless the car is cold and continuing a long drive is pointless. It also won't test unless the fuel tank is filled to a certain point, not too full and not too empty.

If there is a code for the evap, this can prevent the cat from running. Is the CEL on, or is this just a pending code?

Either way you have a code for a leak, you cannot hear or usually even see evap leaks you have to do a smoke test to see where they are. If no leak is found then one of the sensors/solenoids could be bad, causing the computer to believe there is a leak when there is not. Not uncommon

Fix the evap code and the catalyst monitor should be able to run

I've had customers complain of this and then once we fix the evap problem they drive around and this time the check engine light comes on for the catalyst, this is because the computer won't test certain things if it knows there's already a problem. I'm not saying you have a catalyst problem I'm just warning you it's possible

If you haven't tuned your car, you don't need to. You have a problem with the computer, a tune is just ignoring the problem.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
bmbbl be

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post

The catalyst monitor will not run if the computer detects a problem. Monitors will also take long if they are borderline, meaning they are close to failing and so they haven't passed the computer's test nor have they failed

The evap and cat always take the longest, especially evap since it won't run unless the car is cold and continuing a long drive is pointless. It also won't test unless the fuel tank is filled to a certain point, not too full and not too empty.

If there is a code for the evap, this can prevent the cat from running. Is the CEL on, or is this just a pending code?

Either way you have a code for a leak, you cannot hear or usually even see evap leaks you have to do a smoke test to see where they are. If no leak is found then one of the sensors/solenoids could be bad, causing the computer to believe there is a leak when there is not. Not uncommon

I've had customers complain of this and then once we fix the evap problem they drive around and this time the check engine light comes on for the catalyst, this is because the computer won't test certain things if it knows there's already a problem. I'm not saying you have a catalyst problem I'm just warning you it's possible

If you haven't tuned your car, you don't need to. You have a problem with the computer, a tune is just ignoring the problem.
my car is tuned.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post

We know he has an underlying problem. Im not trying to diagnose that. He just needs to pass his test so theres no problems since he only has like 10 days left. Once hes passed, then Im sure hell go get it fixed. Way to pass is simply have the tuners tune out the evap and catalyst emission readiness tests. Just also saw the post where you asked if the gasket leak was noticeable, and it wasnt at first just a slight hissing/tapping at heavy loads. Once it got really bad and the gasket was burnt through, it was tapping constantly.