Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-14-2022, 06:35 AM   #1
Derpyholic030

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro
Unhappy Stereo power cutting out with popping noise.

So I've done my best to google this problem and can't seem to find anything short of just replace the head unit, although I think it may be something more than just the stereo. It started off with the stereo cutting power at random while I was driving, and it's gotten to the point where cuts out every time I drive it now. sometimes it will restart and function normally again, but more often it will restart and show info on the screen, but with no audio and none of the stereo buttons will function at all.

I have a feeling that it's something more than just a stereo fault though, as it often cuts out when brakes or blinkers are used, or if the engine bogs down a bit getting into first gear. It cuts off EVERY time I pull the key, and occasionally when I'm just sitting with the key on, the stereo will make a sudden loud awful groaning noise for a moment. I've even watched my high beams suddenly become dimmer right before the stereo cuts out.

Here's an example of what the stereo will do sometimes after popping, I've had it do this for an hour straight before until I restarted the car:

https://youtu.be/KuPUd9hxEuo

It's VERY aggravating, and any help would be appreciated before i just start throwing money at the problem.
Derpyholic030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:36 AM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Wires coming into the unit and especially, any grounds that don’t have a solid connection, is where I would start.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:54 AM   #3
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I would start with the battery and main power connections (including the ground) followed by the alternator. About the only way I can think that the stock radio could cause headlight dimming without having main power issues would be a dead short in the radio circuit and that should blow a fuse or cause much smoke as the wire burns up.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
base model, electrical, stereo