Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #113
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
https://pchrome.com/5-ways-can-turn-plastic-chrome/

Are these reflectors something we can disassemble and send off for re-plating? There is even an at-home spray product they claim is great in the article.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #114
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
High Beam D1S LED Upgrade. Parked level in a garage but on a hill going down so they look high.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album....ctureid=169024
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #115
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Low Beam D1S LED https://www.camaro5.com/forums/album...ctureid=169027
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:38 AM   #116
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
https://pchrome.com/5-ways-can-turn-plastic-chrome/

Are these reflectors something we can disassemble and send off for re-plating? There is even an at-home spray product they claim is great in the article.
Doubtful. Needs a mirror finish.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 11:47 AM   #117
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
For all here in the thread, I have a group buy in for the newest Morimoto Micro D2S 5.0 retrofit bracket design going. This would allow a true oem fit for new projectors! Brackets only. Check the thread in the Cosmetic and lighting forum section. I may even have them attempt the MLED 2.0 as well
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:45 PM   #118
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
High Beam D1S LED Upgrade. Parked level in a garage but on a hill going down so they look high.

www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=14139&pictureid=169024

Can you post pics from the front of the car so we can see how the lights look?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 11:51 PM   #119
phil2015

Drives: camaro
Hi, there, i have a 2015 SS i bought off my buddy, he changed the stock headlights to RS HID headlights, bought oem chevy headlights, ordered harness from gen5diy.com, can not get my driverside headlight to come on, he would have too , double tap the fog lights, & then through the switch to the right, ive only been able to do this twice. he swapped lamps, ballast, i swapped relays,
phil2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:32 AM   #120
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Can you post pics from the front of the car so we can see how the lights look?
You can see from the pics that it's throwing light above the expected cut off, potentially throwing glare into oncoming eyes. I tried the same thing and replacing Halogen or HID bulbs with LED's w/o changing the projector (to one meant for LEDs) has this downside. Now I'm not saying this mod is definitely blinding people, but wouldn't be surprised if this is causing lots of flashing highs from oncoming traffic who think the high beams are on. Love how much light it throws, but also note that while LED's look very white and very cool, they don't "throw" light further down the road than Halong/HID's. In fact, they often fall short. There's a great bunch of tech articles from this dude: https://www.tacomaworld.com/members/...burn80.156893/ Very interesting reading!
I will say though, that the upgrade shown in these pics is better than what most folks are dealing with in their RS's after a few years! Honestly, it's a safety concern and Chevy should have been called out on this, in my opinion.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:33 AM   #121
blackswan

For those who missed it, this is the root canal of this issue:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=4

I bought new aftermarkets and they lasted less time than the originals, really sad. These are incredibly cheaply made but were a direct replacement, so easy to install to get car inspected.

Looks like they aren't available at Amazon anymore: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But I didn't search hard since I'm not looking to get into this $700/pair fiasco again, but it saved the inspection day - but now a few years later and same issue. I'm probably going to rebuild them with Morimoto projectors and I still have the original housings and may rebuild those as well and sell them here.

It's curious that there isn't a solid market for replacement lights at a reasonable price that last what's left of the car's lives out there.

Last edited by blackswan; 12-30-2023 at 08:31 AM.