Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
esemjay56

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS L99, Kooks LT, VTC,
manually shifting the auto

So when I manual shift my 2010 SS, it seems to hit the rev limiter abt 5K, when I put it in drive, it will go to close to 6K. Seems like it should be the same. What is the deal?
esemjay56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
You just need to time, it, it shifts fairly quick, I very rarely hit my rev limiter and I us my paddle shifter all the time.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
esemjay56

I used a Hypertech tuner and I don't remember if I increased the rev limiter or there was a way to increase the rev limiter. I just don't understand why it will spin higher in Drive than when I manually shift. I will need to 'hook it up' again and check it out. Has anyone else had that happen?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:58 AM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
It could be your ECU protecting your engine from winding her up too tight and over-revving in manual mode.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:00 AM   #5
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
A delay in the paddles.

Also if you can, tune it so it'll shift when you are in "M" at redline-ish instead of hitting the Rev limiter.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Is this car new to you?

Reason I ask is maybe you need to practice at timing your shifts better with TapShift.

I use TapShift daily, probably about 75% of the time I drive my car. I just love the way it feels so much more responsive and for the ability to be in whatever gear I want it in, when I want it. But also for the convenience of being able to jump back into full auto mode when the situation fits.

There is an inherent delay when using it to shift. It took me a little while to get used to it, and an even longer time to get 'good' at it. That means never hitting the rev limiter anymore and having it actually shift at the rpm that I meant it to. Once you learn this delay and can program yourself to it, you will no longer bang against that rev limiter or have to worry about too high of a shift for what you wanted.

If none of this applies to you, then it is almost certainly a tuning issue.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
Are there any negatives to using the TapShift? I use it all the time also and although probably shouldn't, I do downshift with it some too. Thoughts on decreasing longevity of the transmission life with downshifting? TapShift just makes it to darn easy to drive more aggressively!!

Wish I could actually make it shift harder and faster like the old days of the shift kits. That inherent delay that was mentioned is annoying sometimes.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
Are there any negatives to using the TapShift?
Decrease in gas mileage. At least that was my experience. I ran tapshift for about the first year and got about 19mpg. Been running in D auto for the last year or so and my mileage has gone up to almost 22. I was resetting the mileage counter every fill up but I have been letting that counter clock on to see what it goes to. I plan to switch to higher octane and reset in July. May revert to tap shift then too.

Not that most in these here parts are concerned with gas mileage and I can't really say that I am either except just being curious what the car does in that area.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
Wish I could actually make it shift harder and faster like the old days of the shift kits. That inherent delay that was mentioned is annoying sometimes.
A tune is probably your best/easiest option.

Some of the old hydraulic shift kits were a lot harsher than necessary for normal street driving. Didn't matter as much when tires didn't have the grip of today's tires (and cars weren't as heavy).

(annoying only sometimes? couldn't pass that opportunity up )

Norm
Old 05-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
esemjay56

It is fairly easy to firm up the shifting with the Hypertech, it works pretty well on 'max hard shift', although my wife doesn't like it when riding along.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by esemjay56 View Post
It is fairly easy to firm up the shifting with the Hypertech, it works pretty well on 'max hard shift', although my wife doesn't like it when riding along.
I have the Trifecta tune currently and had already reached out to them to see if they would revise the tune. Comment from them was that it was already as stiff as they would do and that there were complaints that it shifted too hard already. Hmmmmm.....

I will look into the Hypertech.