Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
devos22
camrossrs

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 6spd 92 camaro rs
Send a message via Yahoo to devos22 Send a message via Skype™ to devos22
Full exhaust recommendation

Apparently one cat took a shit. So I figured after 11 years y not get a whole new exhaust. And I'm thinking cam as well. I have 4to 5k saved up to put into car. 2010 camaro ss stock. What would you do with 5k into your stock car? Side note. Can we get a clear answer on if you need the friction additive with royal purple for the rear gears?? I use royal purple everything.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If royal purple is for lsd. It should be included, if it groans or gets hoppy on a sharp turn then add additive. A lot do not like the royal purple on the cars, though I don't know the reasons behind it.
My answer is always boost, that's what I did first and it's a huge jump in power and opens the doors up to more foreign the road. LSA supercharger can be done for about that price. Check the FI section someone else is doing just that.
I love my borla atak but it's loud under WOT. No drone though and cruises quietly on the inside.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I would put kooks catted long tubes on, and connect that to your stock exhaust and see if you like the sound. If you don't, then I would add a Borla S-type.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Bow94z

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS
Long tubes to start.
Kooks, Texas Speed are popular brands

Decide if you want high flow cats or not

Select a catback.

I cut my stock mufflers off and added GM’s NPP mufflers with stock resonators. My setup in my sig. very happy with it. No drone due to me leaving the resonators on.
4:10's, Trutrac
Solid Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe and Trailing arms
Bow94z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
Greenhornet2

If you don't like the FI path. Intake, exhaust, cam, torque converter if you're auto and 3.91s. I wouldn't spend the money on kooks but that's just me. Perfectly happy with my speed engineering headers that cost $350 they are quality.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 04-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Putting 5k in a 10 year old car is money you will never get back . Best bet is to sell it and grab a 2020 that handles better and is lighter ,more powerful and faster with out any modifications . And with a full warrantee too. And no potential problems passing emissions inspection.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Putting 5k in a 10 year old car is money you will never get back . Best bet is to sell it and grab a 2020 that handles better and is lighter ,more powerful and faster with out any modifications . And with a full warrantee too. And no potential problems passing emissions inspection.
You'll never catch me trading a beautiful 5th gen for a 6th gen. I'd get a C7 first. But i'll still keep my gen5 you can't beat the gen5 for looks. Buy a gen6 drive it off the lot and lose 10k in value, just mod what you have lol. People don't mod their cars to make their money back they do it because they love the car and the performance.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
I got a 2012 because that’s my favorite year for the camaro outta the new ones. I love the tail lights and steering wheel out of all the 5th gens. Plus it’s the 45th year they made it. Being lighter and more powerful is easy with these cars plus the gen 5’s are 10x cheaper.

Op with 3k I would get Texas speed long tubes - cats up to you - cat back of your choice, cold air intake and ported throttle body with a tune. That should cost you 3k. Cam swaps alone are around $3500+
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Catback's are worthless for power. With your car, get some longtubes and an x-pipe and then see how you like the sound. If you like it, keep it, if not, get some louder mufflers.

RDP motorsports for your tune.
Speed Engineering longtubes - $350

Could get 3.91 or 4.10 gears.

Don't forget suspension!!!

AND, don't forget your car is 10 years old, give it some love in the maintenance department if you haven't already.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #10
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Well Then you can enjoy the view of the rear end tail lights of the 6th gen's as they pass you. IMHO the 6th gen is not bad looking ,just different than the gen 5. Remember that after 10 years and miles all systems of you car wear and need replacement/maintenance . With a new warranted car you start fresh. Right off the bat the 2020 is going to be better in every way ,handle better, and accelerate faster .
Old 04-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Well Then you can enjoy the view of the rear end tail lights of the 6th gen's as they pass you. IMHO the 6th gen is not bad looking ,just different than the gen 5. Remember that after 10 years and miles all systems of you car wear and need replacement/maintenance . With a new warranted car you start fresh. Right off the bat the 2020 is going to be better in every way ,handle better, and accelerate faster .
I've got $35k into my 5th gen, no factory 6th gen which cost $40k is coming anywhere close to me lol. 6th gen is ugly (my opinion) and cramped. The man loves his car and wants more power. These cars taken care of will last a lifetime they were built right.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
I have Stainless Power LTs with cats and Solo Performance X-pipe and axel back J-pipe system and love the sound. Nice and loud. When cruising normal speeds around town shes a bit quiet but punch it and she growls. Im sure if you look around you can find sound clips of almost any system you want. Look there and decide which is right for you.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #13
JeffZ

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
I've got $35k into my 5th gen, no factory 6th gen which cost $40k is coming anywhere close to me lol. 6th gen is ugly (my opinion) and cramped. The man loves his car and wants more power. These cars taken care of will last a lifetime they were built right.

I invested a lot in this GTO over the years. Lots of Mods. Drove it to work on Fridays and some on weekends. Last Father's day I'm sitting 1st at a light. A 18 year old kid in a Honda coming from the other direction runs the light, hits a van making a left, crosses through the intersection and hits me head-on. Both air bags deployed. Totaled. Payout was $14,500. I thought about another GTO but I could end up in the same situation. I put $12,000 down on a factory certified low mileage 2017 SS and don't regret it.

I'm just saying to be careful investing in a older car if something happens that's out of your control. I took a beating. And yes I had tried insuring through Haggerty and even though it was garage kept and I had a alternate vehicle, they wouldn't do it.
Attached Images

JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #14
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Yeah to much money in mine to. But not crazy on the sixth gen and been looking at them for a year. Being retired and no need of a 50K new car that sits in garage
Save for maybe a weekend car isn’t on the need list. And no 6th gen save a zl1 will catch me or out handle me at this point. So why trade.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 2ss camaro new owner, exhaust, options, stock