Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #29
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
Hm...I'd prefer to have my V8 N/A. I'm not really worried about it, though, because most likely the top level V8 (the one that could potentially be S/C) will be out of my price range. Besides...I would like to have a V8 that puts out 400-450 RWHP (with mods)...and I don't think a supercharger is necessary for that...
ah but a s/c is necessary if you want to pump out 500+ hp to take down a gt500

Its going to be interesting if we have forced induction being used in both the entry level model (4 cyl turbo) and a top end performance model (v8 supercharged?). I can already see the aftermarket tuners drooling
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinZS View Post
LS7=505 hp . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #31
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinZS View Post
Three things...

1. Like DGthe3 said: the LS7 is N/A and it makes 505 hp

2. I stated that I would like to get my Camaro up to, or somewhere between 400 and 450 RWHP. The LS7 in the Z06 dynos as high as 460ish in RWHP (stock)...and the GT500 produces less than that. Remember, I'm talking power to the pavement.

3. My goal is not to beat a GT500...and I never said it was. My goal is to merely get my RWHP levels up around 400-450.

I don't mean to be, well, mean...I just wanted to clarify those things for you.

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #32
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
ok all i hear is about the V8 on here... What about the V6? i know they make blowers for them... the DI V6 has a 11:1 CR so would this engine handle the 5-6 lbs of boost and what would we expect the gains to be out of this upgrade? i was just reading the CTS Car & Driver review... they said the engine was like this: "Push in the clutch after running first gear toward the 7000-rpm redline, and the engine lets out an unflattering moan. Strange whooshing and droning sounds accompany any changes in throttle position. As one tester glibly put it, 'The CTS has more strange sounds than a haunted house.'" could this be a clue to poor structual integrity of the engine, or just something to do with the intake or the injection? either way i wanna get this engine and put a decent S/C on it... as long as i won't blow something out...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #33
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS9CamaroSS View Post
ok all i hear is about the V8 on here... What about the V6? i know they make blowers for them... the DI V6 has a 11:1 CR so would this engine handle the 5-6 lbs of boost and what would we expect the gains to be out of this upgrade? i was just reading the CTS Car & Driver review... they said the engine was like this: "Push in the clutch after running first gear toward the 7000-rpm redline, and the engine lets out an unflattering moan. Strange whooshing and droning sounds accompany any changes in throttle position. As one tester glibly put it, 'The CTS has more strange sounds than a haunted house.'" could this be a clue to poor structual integrity of the engine, or just something to do with the intake or the injection? either way i wanna get this engine and put a decent S/C on it... as long as i won't blow something out...
For me to justify supercharging a V6, an enormous amount of other work would already have to be done on the motor. I would upgrade everything I could buy before I even considered supercharging it. By then, I'm sure the power numbers would be pretty competitive with a higher trim, but the expense would be far more than the difference. I can see doing it just to prove that V6 motors can compete, but most of us already know that. I'd rather tear apart a V8 and do all that work, then supercharge that. The horsepower will be more if you invest the same money or less in a V8, so I don't really see the point.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #34
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
As far as I'm concerned only an LSA/8/9 will do. If the motor is built right from the beginning (all the forged goodies) all you would need to do is pulley up for a lot more HP. No replacing weak cast rods or pistons (stock LS cranks are plenty strong enough) or fuel system upgrades to make an NA motor reliable under boost. Sure an NA motor can run safely on 6 to 8 pounds of boost when tuned properly tuned but I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing I'm not going to burn a hole in a piston or send a rod out the side of the block. And I havent heard it yet but I'm sure it will come up at some point..."GM has never needed FI to whip up on the other guys" *cough* 03-04 Cobra *cough* To hear the same whine coming from the top dog 5th gen would put a smile on my face and send everything else on the road running for cover.

Mmm, blower.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #35
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse View Post
As far as I'm concerned only an LSA/8/9 will do. If the motor is built right from the beginning (all the forged goodies) all you would need to do is pulley up for a lot more HP. No replacing weak cast rods or pistons (stock LS cranks are plenty strong enough) or fuel system upgrades to make an NA motor reliable under boost. Sure an NA motor can run safely on 6 to 8 pounds of boost when tuned properly tuned but I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing I'm not going to burn a hole in a piston or send a rod out the side of the block. And I havent heard it yet but I'm sure it will come up at some point..."GM has never needed FI to whip up on the other guys" *cough* 03-04 Cobra *cough* To hear the same whine coming from the top dog 5th gen would put a smile on my face and send everything else on the road running for cover.

Mmm, blower.
+1

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #36
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
For me to justify supercharging a V6, an enormous amount of other work would already have to be done on the motor. I would upgrade everything I could buy before I even considered supercharging it. By then, I'm sure the power numbers would be pretty competitive with a higher trim, but the expense would be far more than the difference. I can see doing it just to prove that V6 motors can compete, but most of us already know that. I'd rather tear apart a V8 and do all that work, then supercharge that. The horsepower will be more if you invest the same money or less in a V8, so I don't really see the point.
well what if that is all i can aford? i want to do all this stuff to my car because it is what i can afford...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #37
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
Quote:
well what if that is all i can aford? i want to do all this stuff to my car because it is what i can afford...
i guess u could consider blowing a 6, but it just kinda smells like rice 2 me
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #38
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
A better answer might be it probably isnt cost effective to go this route unless you really plan for this to be a long term project. To put a S/C on the V6 you will be looking at pulling the engine out and putting in forged components. detuning it slightly to lower the compression to compensate for the blower. header/exhaust changes. Put too much extra HP and Torque in and you'll be looking at a new transmission to handle that too.

I would say look at the base V8 and as long a term payment as you can stomach to get the car into your monthly price range.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #39
mprhead5

Drives: 04 MAzdaspeed miata 250whp
who the F*@K needs 500hp+ on a street car? I would be perfectly happy with a 400hp ss and a 440-460 hp Z28 for a few grand more. Don't go all off the handle with this supercharger setup that will jack the price up way too much. your going to end up with a 29k ss and a 40k Z28 and nobody will be able to afford it. I miss the good old days of 27k for a z28 and 30k for a top line

current Ride: 04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 250whp 13.3 1/4m
mprhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #40
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
who the F*@K needs 500hp+ on a street car? I would be perfectly happy with a 400hp ss and a 440-460 hp Z28 for a few grand more. Don't go all off the handle with this supercharger setup that will jack the price up way too much. your going to end up with a 29k ss and a 40k Z28 and nobody will be able to afford it. I miss the good old days of 27k for a z28 and 30k for a top line
SOmetimes car makers need like a halo car. I could totally see a supercharged Z28 or something like that making 500+ hp being a halo Camaro. It helps with the the image of the entire lineup even if it ends up being a limited production car that's too expensive for most. Heck most of us don't even need 400hp on the roads these days.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #41
mario82z28

Drives: 1982 Z28 Camaro
a supercharged camaro would be radical, but a four banger turbo charged or not DOES NOT belong under the hood of that beautiful car. Its a muscle car not an import pos
mario82z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #42
ralniv

Drives: far too much
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
GM's 100k mile powertrain warranty would have me feeling comfortable with a force fed V8. However, I do share you concern about cost differentials between the premium V8 (assumed SS) and top line V8 (assumed Z28). I'll jump on the Z28 if they can offer it for a base price of $35k. I'm not paying more for a Camaro unless they go more upscale on interior.
ralniv is offline   Reply With Quote