Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
Cameron The Camaro

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire - need advice

As title states, I have a P0301 trouble code on my 2015 Camaro 2SS (L99) which came about during my commute home from work yesterday. Initially, I thought it was possibly an air intake leak or something as I've just recently removed/cleaned my Cold Air Inductions CAI, but upon checking it's not that.

Today, during some diagnostic testing - I got the dreaded "Stabilitrak Disabled" warning and got the blinking CEL - to which I powered off the vehicle ensuring I don't make it worse. There's an aggressively loud clicking/ticking noise at idle, which gets louder if I step on the gas a bit - and that's where I'm lost.

I assumed it was one of the following, but came to the trustworthy forums for help - should I be checking for a faulty spark plug, clogged or faulty injector (or something electrical with the injector circuit), or possibly an ignition coil issue? I'm just confused because of the aggressive clicking noise, and thinking it could possibly be something more serious?

Also, failed to mention that I had perfect oil pressure during my test - so that's off the table as well as any battery issue - that's brand new as of a few weeks ago.

Thank you in advance!

"The most valuable thing a man can spend is his time." .. and money on an ever-growing list of mods to my Camaro.
Cameron The Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Just writing up something quick while I'm at work, but with some relatively inexpensive tools like a multimeter and compression tester you can test the ignition coil, fuel injector and compression in the cylinder. If the cylinder doesn't build pressure or is real low one of the valve springs could be broken (valve stuck open). A quick Google search will show you how to test a coil and injector.

Good luck!
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
Cameron The Camaro

That's kinda where my head was taking me also with the valve issue, but I'll be running a series of test on it tomorrow morning (took off of work to spend the day assessing the problem), so I'll be able to find out more tomorrow and post here if I'm still lost. Fortunately, I have everything needed to do compression tests so I'm hoping that'll give me a bit more insight. Thank you for your reply though, it's very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Just writing up something quick while I'm at work, but with some relatively inexpensive tools like a multimeter and compression tester you can test the ignition coil, fuel injector and compression in the cylinder. If the cylinder doesn't build pressure or is real low one of the valve springs could be broken (valve stuck open). A quick Google search will show you how to test a coil and injector.

Good luck!

"The most valuable thing a man can spend is his time." .. and money on an ever-growing list of mods to my Camaro.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
Pull bank one valve cover check the rockers
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
Cameron The Camaro

Hey guys so here’s the end result.. my #1 intake lifter collapsed - which also damaged the CAM. I wasn’t able to do it so I took it to the dealership for a quote... they said $8800 for a fix. Do you guys think it’s worth paying that, or do you recommend something else? Honestly, I could probably fix it myself but I’m working like 65 hours+ a week and have no time right now.

Literally any advice is beyond helpful right now.. thank you!

Old 08-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron The Camaro View Post
Literally any advice is beyond helpful right now.. thank you!
ANY advice? Don't take it to the dealership unless it is under warranty.

Call a few local independent shops, call a speed shop. See what they charge for that repair.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #7
Cameron The Camaro

Honestly great point - only went to the dealership for their diagnosis, but hadn’t realized the car is exactly 1,122 miles past warranty. I did reach out to my shop that did the dyno tune as they do all types of work as well, and waiting to hear their quote on the work. $8800 for that is insanity..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
ANY advice? Don't take it to the dealership unless it is under warranty.

Call a few local independent shops, call a speed shop. See what they charge for that repair.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

That's definitely a quote because they don't really want to do the work, but if they do it and have your car take up a bay for that long, they are going to charge you for it.

Should easily be half that cost. It should really be what most places charge for a cam swap or DOD delete, which is why I recommend going for a speed shop.

PSI is good, you can also ask Injection-Connection over in Horsham, or Complete Street in west chester (a sponsor on here too)

Old 08-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
Cameron The Camaro

Quote:
That's definitely a quote because they don't really want to do the work, but if they do it and have your car take up a bay for that long, they are going to charge you for it.

Should easily be half that cost. It should really be what most places charge for a cam swap or DOD delete, which is why I recommend going for a speed shop.

PSI is good, you can also ask Injection-Connection over in Horsham, or Complete Street in west chester (a sponsor on here too)
Yeah I'm going to reach out to both PSI and Injection-Connection (that's pretty close to me) and see which one is willing to take on the task - I think Complete Street might be a bit far to tow my vehicle to, but I'll definitely check them out too. Also, noticed you're in PA! Hardly see anyone from PA on here. But again, thank you for the suggestions. I definitely am not having the dealership do the work because that quote is outrageous.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron The Camaro View Post
Also, noticed you're in PA! Hardly see anyone from PA on here. But again, thank you for the suggestions. I definitely am not having the dealership do the work because that quote is outrageous.
If Horsham is close to you, then we are probably close to each other.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #11
Cameron The Camaro

Quote:
If Horsham is close to you, then we are probably close to each other.
Ah no kidding? I recently moved to Bucks County so I'm sure we're not far. Pre-Covid there was a few good cars and coffee spots around here, but since Covid I haven't seen much activity. When things settle back down we should hit a local one up in the Camaros... when I fix mine up that is.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #12
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
That cylinder has a DOD lifter, you do not want that system in your camaro. Get a mild VVT cam grind, or get an LS3 conversion. Most reputable speed shops will charge about 4k for the swap and parts. The dealership wants to rip you off. They will take just that 1 head off and remove the cam, they will replace just 1 lifter and their 100$ l99 cam and charge you 8800.
Corsa CAI w/Donalson Power Filter, BBK 1 7/8 headers, MF resonator, custom exhaust with Legato mufflers, mildly ported heads, TSP VVT 3.2 cam (whole package), 3.91 1LE gears, Circle D 3200 stall torque converter, B&M power cooler tranny cooler. Tuned by Casey TSP's tuner. 1/4 12.16 117mph with stock tires at 20 psi.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote