Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #71
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
That makes it tough here in NC where the state vegetable is the tobacco plant
I am over near Charlotte and just drove up to Mt Airy over the weekend. Tobacco all over the place up there.

But yep, to smoke at my company is EXPENSIVE, well if you want their healthcare.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #72
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
p.s., just tying the post 30 article in, Covid is definitely here to stay in some form; just like the flu it is something we will have to deal with going forward just because the way it mutates can bypass our immune response. Contrast this with something like measles which because of the way it infects the body, mutations either still looks likes measles to our immune system or the mutation prevents the virus from successfully infecting the body.
I agree with this. Everyone will eventually come in contact.

I've spent the last year preparing myself by dropping all the extra weight I previously accepted as ok, eating health and hitting the gym five times a week. (my Recaro seats fit great! )

Lifestyle diseases make you a target ...and are also a financial burden.

https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/arti...ealth-services

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 09-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #73
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
My other fear is, since it’s now pretty widely accepted that this was created in a lab...somewhere, (KenKat, that too was a full blown, get you canceled for merely suggesting it, conspiracy theory too, until it no longer wasn’t) that this man made pathogen will not behave like a natural one. As in, it doesn’t seem to be mutating LESS contagious and deadly liked they had hoped.
I think it is unproven where it originated from; widely accepted is a stretch - the jury is still out. I wouldn’t be surprised if it did originate from a lab, if so, likely in Wuhan, but the evidence is not fully gathered to prove that yet. I haven’t seen enough to know either way at least. I don’t think anyone is being cancelled but you’ve got to have facts (either way) to back it up. A preponderance of the evidence to use legal speak.

A virus is a virus, regardless of where it originates from. They are very simple things. Most viral mutations are an instant failure, breaking the process by which it infects host cells. They can’t reproduce.

Mutations that are less contagious tend to die out - they don’t become common because they ARE less contagious. More contagious strains beat them out.

Mutations that are more deadly can also be limited. A virus’ sole purpose is to reproduce. It neither wants to or doesn’t want to kill people. It doesn’t care, it doesn’t have a brain. But viruses that are too deadly kill their hosts before they can infect others, also limiting its ability to reproduce.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #74
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I think it is unproven where it originated from; widely accepted is a stretch - the jury is still out. I wouldn’t be surprised if it did originate from a lab, if so, likely in Wuhan, but the evidence is not fully gathered to prove that yet. I haven’t seen enough to know either way at least. I don’t think anyone is being cancelled but you’ve got to have facts (either way) to back it up. A preponderance of the evidence to use legal speak.

A virus is a virus, regardless of where it originates from. They are very simple things. Most viral mutations are an instant failure, breaking the process by which it infects host cells. They can’t reproduce.

Mutations that are less contagious tend to die out - they don’t become common because they ARE less contagious. More contagious strains beat them out.

Mutations that are more deadly can also be limited. A virus’ sole purpose is to reproduce. It neither wants to or doesn’t want to kill people. It doesn’t care, it doesn’t have a brain. But viruses that are too deadly kill their hosts before they can infect others, also limiting its ability to reproduce.

Quote:
“This is not a conspiracy,” Mr. Stewart said about the lab theory. “Oh my god, there’s a novel respiratory coronavirus overtaking Wuhan, China, what do we do? Oh, you know who we could ask? The Wuhan novel respiratory coronavirus lab. The disease is the same name as the lab. That’s just a little too weird!”

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 09-01-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:51 PM   #75
KenKat

@hotlap, I never said it was a conspiracy and I even said I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true. Too weird?, yes. Highly suspicious?, yes. Iron clad proof?, I’m not there yet.

Quote:
Is it suspicious that the WIV (Wuhan Institute of Virology) is in Wuhan?
Virology labs tend to specialize in the viruses around them, says Vincent Munster, a virologist at the Rocky Mountain Laboratories, a division of the National Institutes of Health, in Hamilton, Montana. The WIV specializes in coronaviruses because many have been found in and around China. Munster names other labs that focus on endemic viral diseases: influenza labs in Asia, haemorrhagic fever labs in Africa and dengue-fever labs in Latin America, for example. “Nine out of ten times, when there’s a new outbreak, you’ll find a lab that will be working on these kinds of viruses nearby,” says Munster.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01529-3

Last edited by KenKat; 09-01-2021 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #76
FarmerFran

True story...

I was in the grocery store last summer. I grabbed a 12 pack of Corona and a lime to sit out back and chill. A guy walked up to me and asked what I was doing, did I realize what I was drinking and that they were going to stop selling Corona because of Covid. This was a younger (seemed) perfectly normal person. HE was not kidding at all.

The DERP is strong these days.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #77
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
That makes it tough here in NC where the state vegetable is the tobacco plant
But is the tobacco the main carcinogen? I know there's a lot of additional chemicals added. Can't the cigarette companies make a more natural cigarette that isn't as detrimental to one's health?
Old 09-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #78
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:

A quick search of the all-knowing Google, indicates at least Americans went from 30% last summer to 60% this summer believing it was Wuhan lab created. Gettin’ pretty wide!
Old 09-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #79
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
That does not make them communicable diseases.
More hair splitting.... My point has been made. Thanks for the discussion.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #80
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
I'm down for that. If you choose to do something that puts you at risk for certain illnesses that could otherwise be prevented then sure. I'm all about protecting people that have no control over their medical conditions, but if you knowingly caused it because you didn't take precautions or were knowingly reckless then yes, it should be on your dime. Include not wearing seat belts while driving or a helmet while riding. I'm tired of covering stupidity.
I can respect that!
Old 09-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #81
FarmerFran

Quote:
A quick search of the all-knowing Google, indicates at least Americans went from 30% last summer to 60% this summer believing it was Wuhan lab created. Gettin’ pretty wide!
Just because more people believe it does not make it true.

I have no opinion, just saying.

Old 09-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #82
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
My other fear is, since it’s now pretty widely accepted that this was created in a lab...somewhere, (KenKat, that too was a full blown, get you canceled for merely suggesting it, conspiracy theory too, until it no longer wasn’t) that this man made pathogen will not behave like a natural one. As in, it doesn’t seem to be mutating LESS contagious and deadly liked they had hoped.
There are actually more known strains. Alpha, Beta, Gama, Delta, and Lambda are the ones I am aware of.

I understand the whole man-made deal, but they still have to follow evolution and "survival of the fittest" rules after they are "in the wild".
Old 09-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #83
KenKat

Quote:
I am sure after rigorously studying the currently known information so as to make a well informed decision
Old 09-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #84
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
True story...

I was in the grocery store last summer. I grabbed a 12 pack of Corona and a lime to sit out back and chill. A guy walked up to me and asked what I was doing, did I realize what I was drinking and that they were going to stop selling Corona because of Covid. This was a younger (seemed) perfectly normal person. HE was not kidding at all.

The DERP is strong these days.
So you got the 'rona 12 times and lived to tell about it? YOU STUD!