Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #99
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
But as a disclaimer, you probably shouldn’t take medical advice from some dude on a car forum. But hey, I do drive a Camaro!
Old 09-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #100
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
But as a disclaimer, you probably shouldn’t take medical advice from some dude on a car forum. But hey, I do drive a Camaro!
Well it is a car forum after all - but hey, it’s been an interesting and maybe surprisingly civil discussion to me at least

One more interesting article and then I will (try to) shut up:

Quote:
Throughout the pandemic, the anti-parasite drug ivermectin has attracted much attention, particularly in Latin America, as a potential way to treat COVID-19. But scientists say that recent, shocking revelations of widespread flaws in the data of a preprint study reporting that the medication greatly reduces COVID-19 deaths dampens ivermectin’s promise — and highlights the challenges of investigating drug efficacy during a pandemic.
Quote:
The paper summarized the results of a clinical trial seeming to show that ivermectin can reduce COVID-19 death rates by more than 90%1 — among the largest studies of the drug’s ability to treat COVID-19 to date. But on 14 July, after internet sleuths raised concerns about plagiarism and data manipulation, the preprint server Research Square withdrew the paper because of “ethical concerns”.

Ahmed Elgazzar at Benha University in Egypt, who is one of the authors on the paper, told Nature he was not given a chance to defend his work before it was removed.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02081-w

So…on one side you have “it’s been discredited” and on the other side you have “I never got the chance to respond to the criticisms”.

Enough agendas and bias to go around for all sides I am sure.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #101
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
See what you did, you bought the BS narrative. I rest my case. And guess what, he's probably now as healthy as a...horse. Millions were given it in India. But you won't find that on the MSM.
Not buying into the narrative, rather accepting science.

I don’t doubt that he’s feeling better, the question is why? Maybe if I took all those drugs I’d be feeling REALLY GOOD also.

I know that it been used before, but we still don’t have any expert case studies that show definitive evidence that it helps with COVID. Pfizer on the other hand has full FDA approval.

Lastly Joe has mentioned that Covid is overblown, healthy people don’t need to worry about it, and that the immune system will protect you. If that is the case why did he throw the “kitchen sink” at it, as he stated?
Old 09-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #102
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Conversely, both of those medications had very good results if taken at the onset of COVID-19. If you are of the mindset to try either one of those, don’t wait until you get worse!
You probably should have listed your disclaimer here…
Old 09-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #103
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Mississippi
“ In a state with the nation's second lowest rate of vaccination against the coronavirus, a jump in the number of calls to poison control prompted an alert Friday from the Mississippi State Department of Health about ingesting the drug ivermectin. The department said that at least 70% of recent calls to the state poison control center were related to people who ingested a version of the drug that is formulated to treat parasites in cows and horses.”
Old 09-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #104
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
“Well it is a car forum after all - but hey, it’s been an interesting and maybe surprisingly civil discussion to me at least.” - KenKat. I agree. Shows that we ‘sophisticated’ Camaro nuts can all get along, for the greater part. Even when the subject deviates from cars!
Old 09-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #105
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Mississippi
“ In a state with the nation's second lowest rate of vaccination against the coronavirus, a jump in the number of calls to poison control prompted an alert Friday from the Mississippi State Department of Health about ingesting the drug ivermectin. The department said that at least 70% of recent calls to the state poison control center were related to people who ingested a version of the drug that is formulated to treat parasites in cows and horses.”
Ivermectin proven to be effective early treatment.

American Journal of Therapeutics.

"Ivermectin for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Trial Sequential Analysis to Inform Clinical Guidelines"

Abstract

Background:

Repurposed medicines may have a role against the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The antiparasitic ivermectin, with antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, has now been tested in numerous clinical trials.

Areas of uncertainty:

We assessed the efficacy of ivermectin treatment in reducing mortality, in secondary outcomes, and in chemoprophylaxis, among people with, or at high risk of, COVID-19 infection.

Data sources:

We searched bibliographic databases up to April 25, 2021. Two review authors sifted for studies, extracted data, and assessed risk of bias. Meta-analyses were conducted and certainty of the evidence was assessed using the GRADE approach and additionally in trial sequential analyses for mortality. Twenty-four randomized controlled trials involving 3406 participants met review inclusion.

Therapeutic Advances:

Meta-analysis of 15 trials found that ivermectin reduced risk of death compared with no ivermectin (average risk ratio 0.38, 95% confidence interval 0.19–0.73; n = 2438; I2 = 49%; moderate-certainty evidence). This result was confirmed in a trial sequential analysis using the same DerSimonian–Laird method that underpinned the unadjusted analysis. This was also robust against a trial sequential analysis using the Biggerstaff–Tweedie method. Low-certainty evidence found that ivermectin prophylaxis reduced COVID-19 infection by an average 86% (95% confidence interval 79%–91%). Secondary outcomes provided less certain evidence. Low-certainty evidence suggested that there may be no benefit with ivermectin for “need for mechanical ventilation,” whereas effect estimates for “improvement” and “deterioration” clearly favored ivermectin use. Severe adverse events were rare among treatment trials and evidence of no difference was assessed as low certainty. Evidence on other secondary outcomes was very low certainty.

Conclusions:

Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally.

https://journals.lww.com/americanthe...ment_of.7.aspx
Old 09-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #106
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Mississippi
Just let them keep eating it. If they die at least their family will know it didn't work.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #107
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Just let them keep eating it. If they die at least their family will know it didn't work.
Callous but logical.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #108
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Ivermectin proven to be effective early treatment.

American Journal of Therapeutics.

"Ivermectin for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Trial Sequential Analysis to Inform Clinical Guidelines"

Abstract

Background:

Repurposed medicines may have a role against the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The antiparasitic ivermectin, with antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, has now been tested in numerous clinical trials.

Areas of uncertainty:

We assessed the efficacy of ivermectin treatment in reducing mortality, in secondary outcomes, and in chemoprophylaxis, among people with, or at high risk of, COVID-19 infection.

Data sources:

We searched bibliographic databases up to April 25, 2021. Two review authors sifted for studies, extracted data, and assessed risk of bias. Meta-analyses were conducted and certainty of the evidence was assessed using the GRADE approach and additionally in trial sequential analyses for mortality. Twenty-four randomized controlled trials involving 3406 participants met review inclusion.

Therapeutic Advances:

Meta-analysis of 15 trials found that ivermectin reduced risk of death compared with no ivermectin (average risk ratio 0.38, 95% confidence interval 0.19–0.73; n = 2438; I2 = 49%; moderate-certainty evidence). This result was confirmed in a trial sequential analysis using the same DerSimonian–Laird method that underpinned the unadjusted analysis. This was also robust against a trial sequential analysis using the Biggerstaff–Tweedie method. Low-certainty evidence found that ivermectin prophylaxis reduced COVID-19 infection by an average 86% (95% confidence interval 79%–91%). Secondary outcomes provided less certain evidence. Low-certainty evidence suggested that there may be no benefit with ivermectin for “need for mechanical ventilation,” whereas effect estimates for “improvement” and “deterioration” clearly favored ivermectin use. Severe adverse events were rare among treatment trials and evidence of no difference was assessed as low certainty. Evidence on other secondary outcomes was very low certainty.

Conclusions:

Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally.

https://journals.lww.com/americanthe...ment_of.7.aspx
It’s a cheap drug and I hope one day the scientific community can’t prove it’s efficacy against SARS Cov2, and that it is safe.

“A peer-reviewed meta-analysis of 15 trials, published in the July/August issue of the American Journal of Therapeutics, found that "large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin." But experts told PolitiFact, an independent fact-checking outlet, that some of the trials the study included were not high-quality, and some of its authors were affiliated with a pro-ivermectin group.
Absent more randomized, controlled clinical trials, scientists remain skeptical about the benefits of ivermectin in treating COVID-19.

"To extrapolate from how much drug is needed to work in the test tube to how much is required to work in a human being against the virus makes these trials and all the meta-reviews published less than worthless – it’s dangerous," Dr. Benhur Lee, a microbiology professor at Mount Sinai's Icahn School of Medicine, said in an email.”
Old 09-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #109
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
It’s a cheap drug and I hope one day the scientific community can’t prove it’s efficacy against SARS Cov2, and that it is safe.

“A peer-reviewed meta-analysis of 15 trials, published in the July/August issue of the American Journal of Therapeutics, found that "large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin." But experts told PolitiFact, an independent fact-checking outlet, that some of the trials the study included were not high-quality, and some of its authors were affiliated with a pro-ivermectin group.
Absent more randomized, controlled clinical trials, scientists remain skeptical about the benefits of ivermectin in treating COVID-19.

"To extrapolate from how much drug is needed to work in the test tube to how much is required to work in a human being against the virus makes these trials and all the meta-reviews published less than worthless – it’s dangerous," Dr. Benhur Lee, a microbiology professor at Mount Sinai's Icahn School of Medicine, said in an email.”

PolitiFact is a known far left political entity with zero medical experience. Using their hearsay as evidence is silly. But if you need more info, feel free to review the attached from a doctor's organization:
Old 09-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #110
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Callous but logical.
Well let's just say I have no sympathy for them or anybody unvaccinated thats taking up hospital beds. The fact my dad almost didn't get a icu bed after his car wreck has left me with no sympathy for these idiots filling every local hospital. I've asked every nurse my dad has had how bad is it actually and every one of them has told me it's brutal and most of their covid patients are unvaccinated. The way I see it if the no mask and no vaccine hill is what they want to die on then let them just don't come running for help if you catch it.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #111
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Well let's just say I have no sympathy for them or anybody unvaccinated thats taking up hospital beds. The fact my dad almost didn't get a icu bed after his car wreck has left me with no sympathy for these idiots filling every local hospital. I've asked every nurse my dad has had how bad is it actually and every one of them has told me it's brutal and most of their covid patients are unvaccinated. The way I see it if the no mask and no vaccine hill is what they want to die on then let them just don't come running for help if you catch it.
Well said.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:55 PM   #112
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Exactly, it's called karma
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
Closed Thread