Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #15
XTREMZ

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #891
I live in Boston Metro. Drivable days are dwindling. Did my last track day at Lime Rock on October 29th. Three or four other Z/28s there. Two from Long Island, another from Mass. I did 10 or 11 track days this season. I usually ran into at least one other Z/28, if not several, at the track. Only place I see the Z/28. I've never seen another one around Metro Boston.

Ran against a Mustang GT350 (with track package) several times. Passed him at Lime Rock in April. Ran against him in July and he owned me. Asked him what he did to his car. Turns out, that was his 21st track day of the season! Seat time is the best mod!

Having said that, I have modded my Z a bit. Headers, cam, wickerbill, 4 pt. ASM harness. The cam is not aggressive, so the car is very driveable. Makes 500 RWHP now, so it should keep up with most Corvettes and Porsches on the straights.

My goal is to drive it hard and not baby it. Gonna get dinged up on the track but that comes with the territory. So far, still looks nice.

Get all kinds of compliments wherever I go. That's a bonus.

Several of my acquaintances have, upon observing and riding in my car, taken to the track in their cars. One bought a 2016 Camaro SS, the other a 2013 ZL1. Sent my brother a video of my car idling (with headers and cam installed). He went nuts, then took the Z out at Lime Rock track day ( he races a BMW) for a few laps. At Thanksgiving dinner he said he's going to sell his Porsche Macan and buy a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE!

The beat goes on..
2015 Z/28 #891
ARH Long Tube Headers, no cats
Comp Cams LS1 Stage 2 custom grind
ZL1 Add-ons wickerbill
NGK plugs
ported TB
Brey-Krausee Harness Bar
Schroth 4-Pt. ASM harness
XTREMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #16
XTREMZ

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #891
Hah! , neighbor just came over to complain about the Z's noise. Said it shakes his house! Good 'ol American muscle!

He's an Audi guy, says he 's gonna go to the track, but never shows. Where I live everyone drives BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc. I love sticking my nasty Z/28 in their mirrors!
2015 Z/28 #891
ARH Long Tube Headers, no cats
Comp Cams LS1 Stage 2 custom grind
ZL1 Add-ons wickerbill
NGK plugs
ported TB
Brey-Krausee Harness Bar
Schroth 4-Pt. ASM harness
XTREMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #17
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 HLR View Post
When you live on a gravel road, having a nice vehicle isn’t the smartest thing to do. My first knowledge of a Z/28 came after my 4 year old truck started having transmission problems and I ended up shopping Chevy’s and GMC’s only to come across a gorgeous black Z/28. Almost left that dealer with 2 vehicles (ended up leaving without either!)

I researched for months before pulling the trigger and buying this one. Wife still not happy about it, couch comfortable.

Where do you get any kind of knowledge on something this rare? This was the spot, right here on these Z/28 threads. Yes, a lot has changed over the past 2 years. There are a lot less ZL1 hecklers for one. That was annoying as hell. I appreciated owners of different types of Camaro’s weighing in without being rude and now you see more of the non-Z/28 owners chiming in (respectfully) which is awesome!

Illness caused me to not be able to use the car as I had intended a year ago, but I adapted. I’ve shared some stories of trips across the eastern half of the continent trailering the car and meeting all kinds of interesting people from the Camaro5 ‘network’. Good group really. Knowledgeable and always fun. Never thought I was doing anything wrong.

Over the past little while I’ve been having chats with some of the moderators behind the scenes after I had some posting issues and then had posts moved to areas of this forum I did not know existed. I was seriously taken aback and this thread (thank you URBAN LEGEND) reinforces some of these conversations with some of the moderators who responded.

I know very little about the 5th Generation Camaros. I looked at the specs of the ZL1 before I bought but did not want anything supercharged. The 1SS, 2SS, RS, I know nothing about. I strictly followed the Z/28 conversations since seeing the black Z/28 the first time. My first test drive came as I went to pick up the car, salesman clutching on for dear life and we tested the brakes – very underwhelming. “It’s because they haven’t been brandished yet” I said. That came from this forum. I knew, I had read all about it on here. The salesman had no clue.

What I have noticed is most Z/28 owners on here follow the Z/28 threads. I don’t go exploring into other areas very much (except sometimes following threads from the UK, NZ and China guys). When I wanted to protect the body from chips caused by the Trofeos, I read about it here, not in the general maintenance (or whatever it is, I haven’t really checked) threads. Oil changes, same thing. Tire purchases, right here. Trailering, only on the Z/28. Our cars are lower and harder to trailer, don’t ask a V6 guy for advice, we Z/28 owners are the only ones with experience on the matter. Brakes? Which other model has anything similar to ours? Splitter issues, tires lifting off the ground, etc. Even track threads, which I don’t do are interesting to me. But they are all Z/28 specific items which moderators don’t seem to agree with.

Yes, I’ve seen the posts dwindle too - which is sad. I wish the moderators would see that our group sticks to the Z/28 items specifically, even when it comes to maintenance, body/paint/interior issues, tires, brakes, performance, and even the stories from the Silver State Challenge and Hot Rod road trips. All Z/28. We are a really close knit group. Maybe I’m the only one who had posts moved and then backed off, but I do know if all our discussions get dispersed into obscure other areas, we will lose the commonality we share and the support we’ve all come to rely on.

I hope this isn’t the case. I love following the stories, even when it has to do with parking of all things. The moderators are Camaro lovers and the ones who did respond were all pretty good guys but I’m still gun shy after the triage walls were exposed. Hopefully we can keep all our topics on this Z/28 portion of the forum so things don't dwindle even more.

Sorry for the long post.
Regardless of where a thread is started, if you click the "New Posts" tab and if there is any activity in the thread it will show up somewhere in those pages. I know that unless there is a particular thread I am following or participating in, this is the easiest way to keep up with what is going on. As the participation decreases the thread fads into oblivion. Thus the reason for bumps in the for sale threads.
Sorry for your thread posting problems. I have seen others go through this. Still the best forum I have ever seen. So with that being said I am doing my part to keep this thread closer to the top of the "New Posts" tab even though I don't own a Z/28.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #18
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
The Zl1 forum traffic has slowed quite a bit as well. Think is might just be the time of the year, though I have also noted other areas such as detailing have been slowing down for the past year.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #19
TonyNDeb

Drives: Candy
Car is put away, which is good since we've already had snow. Having a new house and trying to get settled is taking most of my time lately.
TonyNDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #20
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREMZ View Post
Hah! , neighbor just came over to complain about the Z's noise. Said it shakes his house! Good 'ol American muscle!

He's an Audi guy, says he 's gonna go to the track, but never shows. Where I live everyone drives BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc. I love sticking my nasty Z/28 in their mirrors!
Not much you can do about the shaking. I have all of my stuff ready to go, phone plugged in, etc. I have car in gear, clutch in, open garage door, start car, pull out (that's what she said), shut garage door, confirm door is shut and I'm out. I shouldn't shake their homes for more than 59 seconds.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #21
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
The Zl1 forum traffic has slowed quite a bit as well. Think is might just be the time of the year, though I have also noted other areas such as detailing have been slowing down for the past year.
Lots of ZL1 guys are moving on too. On to the Gen 6 ZL1.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #22
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
When you live on a gravel road, having a nice vehicle isn’t the smartest thing to do. My first knowledge of a Z/28 came after my 4 year old truck started having transmission problems and I ended up shopping Chevy’s and GMC’s only to come across a gorgeous black Z/28. Almost left that dealer with 2 vehicles (ended up leaving without either!)

I researched for months before pulling the trigger and buying this one. Wife still not happy about it, couch comfortable.

Where do you get any kind of knowledge on something this rare? This was the spot, right here on these Z/28 threads. Yes, a lot has changed over the past 2 years. There are a lot less ZL1 hecklers for one. That was annoying as hell. I appreciated owners of different types of Camaro’s weighing in without being rude and now you see more of the non-Z/28 owners chiming in (respectfully) which is awesome!

Illness caused me to not be able to use the car as I had intended a year ago, but I adapted. I’ve shared some stories of trips across the eastern half of the continent trailering the car and meeting all kinds of interesting people from the Camaro5 ‘network’. Good group really. Knowledgeable and always fun. Never thought I was doing anything wrong.

Over the past little while I’ve been having chats with some of the moderators behind the scenes after I had some posting issues and then had posts moved to areas of this forum I did not know existed. I was seriously taken aback and this thread (thank you URBAN LEGEND) reinforces some of these conversations with some of the moderators who responded.

I know very little about the 5th Generation Camaros. I looked at the specs of the ZL1 before I bought but did not want anything supercharged. The 1SS, 2SS, RS, I know nothing about. I strictly followed the Z/28 conversations since seeing the black Z/28 the first time. My first test drive came as I went to pick up the car, salesman clutching on for dear life and we tested the brakes – very underwhelming. “It’s because they haven’t been brandished yet” I said. That came from this forum. I knew, I had read all about it on here. The salesman had no clue.

What I have noticed is most Z/28 owners on here follow the Z/28 threads. I don’t go exploring into other areas very much (except sometimes following threads from the UK, NZ and China guys). When I wanted to protect the body from chips caused by the Trofeos, I read about it here, not in the general maintenance (or whatever it is, I haven’t really checked) threads. Oil changes, same thing. Tire purchases, right here. Trailering, only on the Z/28. Our cars are lower and harder to trailer, don’t ask a V6 guy for advice, we Z/28 owners are the only ones with experience on the matter. Brakes? Which other model has anything similar to ours? Splitter issues, tires lifting off the ground, etc. Even track threads, which I don’t do are interesting to me. But they are all Z/28 specific items which moderators don’t seem to agree with.

Yes, I’ve seen the posts dwindle too - which is sad. I wish the moderators would see that our group sticks to the Z/28 items specifically, even when it comes to maintenance, body/paint/interior issues, tires, brakes, performance, and even the stories from the Silver State Challenge and Hot Rod road trips. All Z/28. We are a really close knit group. Maybe I’m the only one who had posts moved and then backed off, but I do know if all our discussions get dispersed into obscure other areas, we will lose the commonality we share and the support we’ve all come to rely on.

I hope this isn’t the case. I love following the stories, even when it has to do with parking of all things. The moderators are Camaro lovers and the ones who did respond were all pretty good guys but I’m still gun shy after the triage walls were exposed. Hopefully we can keep all our topics on this Z/28 portion of the forum so things don't dwindle even more.

Sorry for the long post.
-----> Truth <-----
Old 11-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #23
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Lots of ZL1 guys are moving on too. On to the Gen 6 ZL1.
Naw most have moved over to ZL1 exclusive on facebook. Met some of them as well and not many are picking up the 6th. Think we have 1000 + gen5 owners and maybe 3 gen 6.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #24
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I noticed. Nothing can touch the "park job" thread.

For me I'm pretty much done with the car. I going to keep driving it, keep it clean but this summer I'm pretty sure It's gone for something else.
Interesting to hear you say that and without even a hint of emotion... all bidness. :-)

I may buy something else at some point, but I plan on keeping my Z.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #25
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:

Sorry for the long post.
Great post and glad to know that I left an indelible impression w/ my parking post!

Seriously, have enjoyed following many of your posts and had wondered where you've been of late. The chronicling of your trip with your daughter was really fun to follow and all of cool stuff you guys did. She may not realize it now, but she will look back very fondly on that trip and the Z will hold a special place in her heart!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #26
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Interesting to hear you say that and without even a hint of emotion... all bidness. :-)

I may buy something else at some point, but I plan on keeping my Z.
I need something new often. Whatever I get next you better believe I will triple space park that thing.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:48 AM   #27
pat_t

Drives: .
I'm only just getting started here

My Z will get off the boat mid December. Come later Feb/March-ish I'll be hitting up trackdays across the UK and Europe in it. I also plan to compete in possibly some Sprint or Drag events, maybe a one-off round of the UK Time Attack championship.

I'll be posting on here with my progress, and I won't be afraid to mod the car if there are any areas I feel it needs it..

So to anyone thinking of leaving please don't! This is the only decent forum I've found for 5th Gen Z/28 discussions and everyone seems very friendly.

cheers,
Patrick
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #28
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
Far from done here. This is my last session of the year, took a 1LE owner for a ride, all traction is completely off.. As for now as long as the roads are not salted I am out every chance I get. With the cool weather the car makes good power and slides soooo nice..

As for next year.
1. I already have a 2nd set of OEM wheels for track duty

2. New helmet as mine will be out of date.

3. Upgrading to a new lap timer ( AIM Solo )
OMG. Is this with stock suspension? When you made that twitch transition at 9 to 11 seconds it showed how tight and track breed the stock suspension is. I am getting that suspension for next season for sure.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote