Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #43
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Old post, but wanted to throw this in. Don't buy the K&N filters wrench off type. I always have been a fan of k&n, then last year bought a k&n for wifes car, week later I seen oil dripping, looked under car and when filter was manufactured, they drilled small hole behind that welded on nut to use a wrench on filter. I checked her oil and was down to like 2 quarts left in car, could have blown her Turbo engine. I contacted k&n, showed pics, then they wanted me to mail back etc etc. I just took the loss, filter had oil in it, so was a mess, but could see spot where oil was dripping from tiny hole under the nut.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #44
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
Old post, but wanted to throw this in. Don't buy the K&N filters wrench off type. I always have been a fan of k&n, then last year bought a k&n for wifes car, week later I seen oil dripping, looked under car and when filter was manufactured, they drilled small hole behind that welded on nut to use a wrench on filter. I checked her oil and was down to like 2 quarts left in car, could have blown her Turbo engine. I contacted k&n, showed pics, then they wanted me to mail back etc etc. I just took the loss, filter had oil in it, so was a mess, but could see spot where oil was dripping from tiny hole under the nut.
K&N moved their oil filter production to Mexico and Korea, I moved my purchasing to Wix. WIX 57060XP is a real nice filter. Checks all the boxes for a high quality filter. The old 48 was nice. Not a fan of Es. The XP series in WIX is on all my street drivers, Wix racing filters on the race car.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:45 AM   #45
Quicksilverman

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro
We will only use K&N oil filters in our 2012 Camaro for oil changes.
Quicksilverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:49 AM   #46
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilverman View Post
We will only use K&N oil filters in our 2012 Camaro for oil changes.
You might want to visit Bobistheoilguy forums for the recent changes to K&N oil filters. I used them for years, knowing they were Champion Laboratories filters. But things have changed.

The paper end caps and other cheapened parts, mentioned in this thread for Delco filters, is in the “E-core” line, designated as PF-48E, PF-63E, etc.. I’ve seen pix of the Delco filter paper media loosing integrity with intervals we are using with the OLM.

I moved back to M1 or Wix XP filters. The extended intervals brought by better synthetics pushes filter longevity limits. The Wix xp has all the good features, metal internal caps & tubes, good media, metal screen backing for the filter media, good guy valves, etc.. I just ordered 10 xp filters for the Camaro and truck from Rock Auto. I think they were just over $7 ea.

Last edited by Spurshot; 11-17-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Spurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #47
Screwblower

Drives: 14' 2ss convertible
I used a extended life fram filter and ford motor craft 5/30w fully synthetic , did I void my warranty ?
Screwblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #48
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwblower View Post
I used a extended life fram filter and ford motor craft 5/30w fully synthetic , did I void my warranty ?
why do you ask? did your engine fail due to the filter collapsing?

if you are not having problems, I would just switch to an appoved Dexos oil. I personally only use Napa Platinum as they are true absolute filters. Many filters are nominal, so a 23 micrcon nominal has an average micron opening of 23 micron or less, and 23 micron synthetic (absolute) has no openings larger than 23 micron.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #49
Screwblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
why do you ask? did your engine fail due to the filter collapsing?

if you are not having problems, I would just switch to an appoved Dexos oil. I personally only use Napa Platinum as they are true absolute filters. Many filters are nominal, so a 23 micrcon nominal has an average micron opening of 23 micron or less, and 23 micron synthetic (absolute) has no openings larger than 23 micron.
I'm asking because it seems GM scrutinizes the oil changes, especially the L99's which I have.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #50
Screwblower

And I bought an extended warranty so I guess I need to check with them. I just changed it didn't think about it until I started checking the forum here.