Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 02-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Front Plate in Texas

I heard a rumor that Texas has removed the requirement for a front plate (finally!)

Anyone else heard anything about this?
Old 02-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Last year they criminalized it with a fine. Gotta have a front plate.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
anth331

Drives: 12SS
State trooper told me the other day. "You have to have a front plate" Gave me a warning.
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
Doncs

Drives: 2013 dark blue ZL1 automatic
Got stopped yesterday on Highway 380 and was given a warning ticket for no front plate.
Doncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I'm surprised more states don't require it.
All the traffic camera images I have seen are from the front. They even have the driver's face.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I have the JacFab license plate holder. Good extension for tripping the beams drag racing.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
I'm surprised more states don't require it.
All the traffic camera images I have seen are from the front. They even have the driver's face.
The red light cameras around here have the picture from either end, depending on which way you are going in relation to how the camera is set up. Anyway those tickets are unenforceable currently, they have no way to force payment of the fine, at least not if your car is registered in Tarrant county (Ft. Worth).

As for the front plates, it has been enforced all of my life in TX, and most police will at least warn you if it is not mounted at the front, my older brother got warned back in the 70's because his was laying on the dash, and ex wife got warne in the 90's for not having one. I have not heard of any LEO other than HP enforcing it, though I am sure some local LEO will.

Last edited by Benman; 02-20-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: adding text
Benman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Many years ago (2004) I bought a new car and handed my 1990 Beretta down to my daughter. When IL first began using multi-year plates they had promised replacements every 5 years. That turned into 13 years. So when I got the new plates for the Beretta I soaked out the rusted screws and changed the rear. I left the front. It was the same number so I didn't see the difference.
She was working in a very affluent suburb as a teaching assistant. She got pulled when she left work for, the old front plate! She received a warning and wasted some time. I figure they pulled her because the paint was pretty worn on the Beretta, and it looked out of place in the land of new euromobiles.

I would have thought the conversation went something like, "What are you doing here?" and her answering that she was teaching special ed at one of their schools should have meant something.

So I called the police station and the sergeant laughed when I told him what the warning was for. About an hour later the LEO called me and went off with how she could have issued a citation. I'll bet everyone at the station heard that story

Anyway, I changed the front plate on the Beretta and I finally put the front plate on my wife's Pontiac.
It's one thing if I am stopped, but I really don't like the thought of one of my family members being stopped for something silly.
The LEOs can always find something to write you for, why give them any reason to pull you in the first place?
When I bought my Camaro I zip tied the front plate to the lower grill while waiting for my Jac-Fab.