Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Reduced Engine Power

I know this is a hard question to answer without seeing a data log but is there a possibility this could be a mechanical issue and not a tuning issue? All the feedback I have received says it not likely a mechanical issue. The research I have done shows a couple people were getting this because of the throttle body. The tuner I used is 2 hours away so I am not able to make it out there for them to take a look at it.

I brought my car to the track last month and last night. Car seems to run fine until I bring it down the track. 1st pass last night it went into reduced engine power mode switching from 3rd to 4th at 116MPH. I thought maybe the car didn't like the 6,000RPM I was switching at so the next pass I went real easy and switched from 2nd to 4th and same thing happened at 116MPH. Temperature outside ranged from 85-70 degrees so it wasn't really hot outside.

Let the car cool down for a good hour and a half and gave it another try and this time switching from 2nd to 3rd it went into reduced engine power mode.

The codes coming up are P2138 (Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D"/"E" Voltage Correlation. C0242(No DTC definition found) and P0443(Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit)

I don't have anything to data log the car.

Car mods include AGP TT Kit, BTR N/A Stage II Cam, Vmax ported TB.

Has anyone ever ran into this issue or have a guess what's causing the issue? Is there something I can buy to datalog that is cheap?
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
ttshovel

Drives: 12 camaro ss, 72 chevelle, 91camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.curt View Post
I know this is a hard question to answer without seeing a data log but is there a possibility this could be a mechanical issue and not a tuning issue? All the feedback I have received says it not likely a mechanical issue. The research I have done shows a couple people were getting this because of the throttle body. The tuner I used is 2 hours away so I am not able to make it out there for them to take a look at it.

I brought my car to the track last month and last night. Car seems to run fine until I bring it down the track. 1st pass last night it went into reduced engine power mode switching from 3rd to 4th at 116MPH. I thought maybe the car didn't like the 6,000RPM I was switching at so the next pass I went real easy and switched from 2nd to 4th and same thing happened at 116MPH. Temperature outside ranged from 85-70 degrees so it wasn't really hot outside.

Let the car cool down for a good hour and a half and gave it another try and this time switching from 2nd to 3rd it went into reduced engine power mode.

The codes coming up are P2138 (Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D"/"E" Voltage Correlation. C0242(No DTC definition found) and P0443(Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit)

I don't have anything to data log the car.

Car mods include AGP TT Kit, BTR N/A Stage II Cam, Vmax ported TB.

Has anyone ever ran into this issue or have a guess what's causing the issue? Is there something I can buy to datalog that is cheap?
sounds like you might have some burnt or pinched wiring.
12 camaro ss 427lsx, th400, f310 heads, crower shaft mounts, gpi specd solid roller, shearerfab 2k hp a/w, twin bullseye 88mm turbos, hughes pro ssx bolt together converter, holley dominator, 8.50 cert, backhalf, Ford 9", 33x17x16 tires, c16 fuel
ttshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
j.curt

Is there specific wires I should check first or just start inspecting wires near everything that gets hot?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #4
RealQuick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.curt View Post
Is there specific wires I should check first or just start inspecting wires near everything that gets hot?
If your tuner modified the throttle position table, have him put it back to stock. I modified that table on the dyno and I believe it was the primary cause of me going into reduced power mode on the dyno.
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #5
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Tune 99% likely
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:57 PM   #6
Glushenij

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
My did 3 times ( AGP kit) in 2 weeks all same down shift to try pass car but my code was Ecm fail( I think code po606 or something) I was thinking get new ecu but it's just quit doing that- not single time in past 2 months! So maybe u get lucky like me and it will stops
Old 09-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #7
j.curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glushenij View Post
My did 3 times ( AGP kit) in 2 weeks all same down shift to try pass car but my code was Ecm fail( I think code po606 or something) I was thinking get new ecu but it's just quit doing that- not single time in past 2 months! So maybe u get lucky like me and it will stops
That is weird. I don't think I am going to be as lucky as you being it has been happening for over a month. Glad to hear yours fixed itself though.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:23 AM   #8
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
REP mode is usually a maximum airflow per throttle position setting in the ecu. Increase the whole table by 50% to get away from it.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #9
ants-gts

Drives: gen f gts
sounds like the throttle blade is closing under boost common issue some servo motors
are not strong enough to hold the blade open
ants-gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Check your MAF for any oil getting on the MAF wires....the combination of maxing air flow out and any contaminates on the wires will trigger reduced power mode. What are you doing for proper crankcase evacuation and air/oil separation? Can you post pictures of how your PCV hoses are run?
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
j.curt

Catch can is from Mighty Mouse
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #12
RealQuick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
I'll take a look at your tune again tonight.
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #13
j.curt

Different tune in the car now. The tune I sent you was from the very first person I went to. That tune is no good.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
jose1003

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Cyber Gray
had an lsa conversion, and normal driving car worked good, but after stepping on peddle and reaching high speeds car went into reduced engine mode. cant remember the codes, double checked wires and it was a no go.
at the end it was the tune
andy from adm really helped in fixing the issue

hope you get your car running,