Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-26-2021, 01:17 PM   #15
2010BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99
I went with a full TSP system: 1 7/8" LT headers, 3"exhaust w/x-pipe, 3" TSP mufflers.

My current exhaust is a custom job (installed by the previous owner), and since I am installing the new exhaust on my own, I wanted a complete system that was made to fit together to avoid headaches.

My current exhaust has the secondary cats cut out as well as the stock h-pipe and resonators. In place of the secondary cats, h-pipe, and resonators, they welded in straight pipe. The pipe appears to be aluminized steel that is actually a little smaller in diameter than the stock exhaust. This frankenstein exhaust is then finalized with Borla ATAK axle-back.

I love the Borla axle-back, but I definitely don't like the fact that there is no crossover in the exhaust system. Otherwise, I would've just installed headers to connect to the existing exhaust.

I thought about getting the ARH long system to attach to the Borla axle-back, but have read that people had issues getting the ARH system to mate up with the Borla axle-back. So in the end, I pulled the trigger on a full TSP system, headers to tips.

I love the sound of my current exhaust. It has that nice deep muscle car sound. I'm a little worried I'm going to lose that with the TSP system.

Morepowerjoe, it looks like you may have the same TSP system I just ordered. If so, I have a couple questions.

1. How do you like it?

2. Did you notice a significant power increase after install?
3. How does it sound?

Again, thanks to everyone for their help.
2010BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #16
2010BlackCamaroSS

Of course, after I install the TSP system, I'll have the Borla ATAK axle-back for sale.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:50 AM   #17
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BlackCamaroSS View Post
I went with a full TSP system: 1 7/8" LT headers, 3"exhaust w/x-pipe, 3" TSP mufflers.

My current exhaust is a custom job (installed by the previous owner), and since I am installing the new exhaust on my own, I wanted a complete system that was made to fit together to avoid headaches.

My current exhaust has the secondary cats cut out as well as the stock h-pipe and resonators. In place of the secondary cats, h-pipe, and resonators, they welded in straight pipe. The pipe appears to be aluminized steel that is actually a little smaller in diameter than the stock exhaust. This frankenstein exhaust is then finalized with Borla ATAK axle-back.

I love the Borla axle-back, but I definitely don't like the fact that there is no crossover in the exhaust system. Otherwise, I would've just installed headers to connect to the existing exhaust.

I thought about getting the ARH long system to attach to the Borla axle-back, but have read that people had issues getting the ARH system to mate up with the Borla axle-back. So in the end, I pulled the trigger on a full TSP system, headers to tips.

I love the sound of my current exhaust. It has that nice deep muscle car sound. I'm a little worried I'm going to lose that with the TSP system.

Morepowerjoe, it looks like you may have the same TSP system I just ordered. If so, I have a couple questions.

1. How do you like it?

2. Did you notice a significant power increase after install?
3. How does it sound?

Again, thanks to everyone for their help.
Hey sorry I didn't see your post. Yeah I have the same exhaust. I actually love it. It sounds great at idle a little loud but not too bad. And at cruising it is pretty quiet until you get on it and then it wakes up. After the tune I felt a huge increase of power but that was from stock. The only thing problem I had with it was where the pipe connected to the headers. It seems to want to angle towards the ground so what I ended up doing was leaving the brace off that is after the transmission crossmember and then taking it to someone to weld up the connections that goes from the pipe to the cats that way I could naturally let the exhaust sag right there. The exhaust also touches the tranny crossmember bolts so I had to dimple it there on both sides. And those clamps. If you don't have them just right they won't tighten correctly you'll see what I'm talking about. Also I don't know if I can get the diff plug out now without removing the pipes. lol. I would go ahead and change the the diff fluid now so you don't have to mess with it for a while. And I think you might lose a little torque down low with it but after a tune you'll get it back. Hope this helps. If you need any help just let me know.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #18
2010BlackCamaroSS

So I've been avoiding changing the O2 sensors because it looked like a pain in the a**. But I had the car on jack stands to check the transmission fluid, and since I had to wait on the transmission to cool anyway, I went ahead and got the job done. It wasn't near as hard as this one guy on YouTube made it look, but I don't think he had the right tools for the job.

I just got the 02 sensors done tonight, so I will drive it around for a week or so and see if the soot in the tailpipes evens out. It seems I will have plenty of time to monitor the tailpipes, as I am still waiting on TSP to ship my headers & exhaust.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:12 AM   #19
morepowerjoe

Quote:
So I've been avoiding changing the O2 sensors because it looked like a pain in the a**. But I had the car on jack stands to check the transmission fluid, and since I had to wait on the transmission to cool anyway, I went ahead and got the job done. It wasn't near as hard as this one guy on YouTube made it look, but I don't think he had the right tools for the job.

I just got the 02 sensors done tonight, so I will drive it around for a week or so and see if the soot in the tailpipes evens out. It seems I will have plenty of time to monitor the tailpipes, as I am still waiting on TSP to ship my headers & exhaust.
My goodness their taking their time aren't they? Luckly for me their only about a 30 minute drive.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 08-14-2021, 12:28 AM   #20
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
My goodness their taking their time aren't they? Luckly for me their only about a 30 minute drive.

Yeah, I ordered the system through WS6store.com. I was told that it would only be a 3-4 week wait. It's been a little over 8 weeks now. I hope they are not just jerking my chain and actually placed the order with TSP when they said they did. I'm thinking about calling TSP directly.

However, I went to a local speed shop today and they said that lead times from TSP have been extended to around 8 - 10 weeks for them. So, it looks like this may just be "par for the course".
Old 08-14-2021, 02:02 AM   #21
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Yeah, I ordered the system through WS6store.com. I was told that it would only be a 3-4 week wait. It's been a little over 8 weeks now. I hope they are not just jerking my chain and actually placed the order with TSP when they said they did. I'm thinking about calling TSP directly.

However, I went to a local speed shop today and they said that lead times from TSP have been extended to around 8 - 10 weeks for them. So, it looks like this may just be "par for the course".
I'm thinking I would give TSP a call. I don't see why it's taking so long but maybe their just on back order

Old 08-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #22
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
I'm thinking I would give TSP a call. I don't see why it's taking so long but maybe their just on back order

Gave TSP a call yesterday. They had trouble finding my order, and I was beginning to suspect that the online vendor I bought from didn't actually place the order with TSP. They found the order eventually and advised me that the earliest they would ship is October due to supply chain issues with overseas shipments. So, I'm looking at a 16 week lead time.

So now I'm shopping around, trying to find a system that is in stock. No luck so far.

In the meantime, I think I'm gonna install 3.91 gears so I can at least enjoy a little extra oomph while I wait for the headers and exhaust. I have an x-pipe sitting around in the garage that I thought about installing while I wait as well.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:16 AM   #23
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Gave TSP a call yesterday. They had trouble finding my order, and I was beginning to suspect that the online vendor I bought from didn't actually place the order with TSP. They found the order eventually and advised me that the earliest they would ship is October due to supply chain issues with overseas shipments. So, I'm looking at a 16 week lead time.

So now I'm shopping around, trying to find a system that is in stock. No luck so far.

In the meantime, I think I'm gonna install 3.91 gears so I can at least enjoy a little extra oomph while I wait for the headers and exhaust. I have an x-pipe sitting around in the garage that I thought about installing while I wait as well.
Well that sucks. Be sure and let me know how those gears feel. I am curious about the acceleration and higher rpm on the freeway at like 70 mph.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #24
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
I ran into a similar issue with a 98 Isuzu Rodeo I bought for $500. It had all kinds of issues going on. One of the biggest ones was an exhaust leak before the o2 sensor. You couldn’t see it. I happened to see it just by luck when I started it when it was real cold outside and I had the hood open. It made it run a lot cleaner but then I started to have long cranks to start it up. Ended up having a leaking fuel injector even though they were all new.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:34 PM   #25
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I'd look at the fuel trims, can tell you alot about whats going on side to side.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #26
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Well that sucks. Be sure and let me know how those gears feel. I am curious about the acceleration and higher rpm on the freeway at like 70 mph.

Will do. I may have an issue getting the diff out. My exhaust is welded together. I looks like I may be able to slide the diff through the pipes, but it will be close.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #27
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
I ran into a similar issue with a 98 Isuzu Rodeo I bought for $500. It had all kinds of issues going on. One of the biggest ones was an exhaust leak before the o2 sensor. You couldn’t see it. I happened to see it just by luck when I started it when it was real cold outside and I had the hood open. It made it run a lot cleaner but then I started to have long cranks to start it up. Ended up having a leaking fuel injector even though they were all new.

Overall, my car runs well. I'm just very demanding. I want it to perform at its peak potential. Right now, it's just not fast enough. I'm working on it though.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #28
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
I'd look at the fuel trims, can tell you alot about whats going on side to side.

Right now, I'm not sure that I have the tools to monitor fuel trims. I recently downloaded LiveLink on my laptop to use with my SCT X4 handheld, but I don't know how to use the software, or even if it can be used to monitor fuel trims.

I tried using the software to monitor my transmission temp while I was checking the fluid level and it was reading way higher than actual. So, I don't have a lot of faith in it.