Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-18-2021, 02:49 AM   #1
2010BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99
Texas Speed Full Exhaust System Disappointment

Been waiting since June; finally got the system in this week. 2" primaries + 3" x-pipe + 3" mufflers; all Texas Speed.

It's been an ordeal, fellas. Ordered full system with 1 7/8" primaries in June through an online vendor. After ordering, the vendor reached out to me via email and told me there would be a 3 to 4 week lead time. Checked back in 4 weeks to find out delivery was pushed out another 2 weeks. Checked back again and was told another 2 weeks. Checked back again and was told that they couldn't give me a delivery date; they just didn't know when another shipment would come in.

To be fair, the online vendor offered me a refund each time they advised me of a delay. I didn't want to take the refund, as it appears that TSP has raised their prices, and I couldn't find the same system anywhere for the price I had already paid the online vendor.

Called Texas Speed directly and they had trouble finding my order. I was beginning to suspect the online vendor did not place the order with Texas Speed at all. However, after I forwarded the email confirmation from the online vendor to Texas Speed, they were able to find my order and they told me they might have another shipment sometime in October, but it may be longer.

I thought I would do a 3.91 gear swap and Truetrac upgrade while I was waiting on the headers/exhaust, but then I thought, since I have to remove some of the exhaust to get the diff out anyway, I might as well wait until I can install the new exhaust system at the same time I reinstall the differential.

I'm getting impatient at this point, and I don't have any assurance from TSP that I will actually get my exhaust in October. So, I start looking around online and I find a full TSP system in stock from a different online vendor, but this system had 2" primaries instead of the 1 7/8" primaries I already had on order. Even though this system was $230 more expensive than the one I already had on order, I went ahead and purchased it anyway. I figure "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush".

My order shipped the very next day, and since I had a FedEx tracking number (aka proof that the system was indeed in stock and had shipped), I emailed the other vendor and cancelled the order that I had been waiting on for 3 months.

Later I get an email from the vendor that was actually able to get a system shipped to me stating that TSP had raised their prices, but they were still honoring the lower price that I bought the system for. However, they went on to state that they had to add state tax to my order and it would appear as separate charge. Keep in mind that this communication occurred after I had already paid and after the order was already in transit to me. The original vendor I ordered the 1 7/8" system from did not charge state tax on my order. The state tax is $135, and I suspect that this was the vendor trying recoup their loss of selling the system at a lower price than the increased pricing TSP was charging.

So now, I'm paying $365 more than the original order. At this point, I'm getting closer to what a full ARH system would have cost me and I'm thinking, "the quality of this TSP system better be as good as the reviews I've been reading".

I've stated all the above just to give you guys a background of what it took to get this exhaust system to my door. Now to the point....

I am very disappointed in the quality of the system I received. Almost all the pipes are out of round where they connect to each other. I tried test fitting the pieces together and they will not fit. The driver side merge collector has a flat spot where it should be round. Both pipes at the header end of the x-pipe are oval, instead of round. One of the pipes at the tail end of the x-pipe is crushed and deformed. One of the pipes that connects the x-pipe to the muffler is oval on both ends instead of round. The connecting end of both mufflers are oval instead of round. There is no way I'm going to be able to get this system to fit together without numerous exhaust leaks.

After all the hassle and delays, I don't want to send the system back. According to their website, I would have to pay a 30% restocking fee, plus shipping to return. However, I emailed the vendor and told them about all the problems and they said to send them some pictures. So, maybe they'll make an exception due to all the defects. Still, I'm hesitant.

I've looked in to some solutions to get the pipes back in round. I think I could use a pipe expander to remedy most of the issues. However, this would be extra work and an extra expense for the tool. Figure in the cost of the tool, and I will have paid $465 more than what I originally paid back in June.

Right now, TSP is losing their competitive advantage on exhaust pricing. They are having to pass along the current higher costs of freight brought in from overseas. This puts TSP's pricing a lot closer to the products made in America, and from what I'm seeing with my system, their quality is declining as well.

In the current times we are in, I would recommend to anyone looking to purchase new exhaust components to look at ARH or Kooks over TSP.

All this being said, I really wanted to buy the ARH system to start with. The pricing and great reviews I've read about Texas Speed persuaded me to go with them instead. If I don't have to pay the restocking fee and shipping, I am seriously considering sending this system back and purchasing the ARH system instead, even though I'll probably have to wait another month (or more) on top of the 3 months I have already waited.

What do you guys think? Should I go through the hassle of sending the system back and waiting for a system from ARH? Or should I try to fix the out of round pipes I already have?
2010BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:31 AM   #2
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Wow that’s crazy but there are tons of delays everywhere especially with big companies like tsp. I’ve been waiting forever for my heads to come in from them to get my car into the shop and it took 7 months. But all the companies are still dealing with delays from COVID still sadly.

The quality problems really surprises me, I have Texas speed headers 1 7/8 and they are amazing with great welds. I did not even know they made full exhaust kits and personally I wouldn’t do there full exhaust since they aren’t known for it minus their headers. Hopefully they get their act together.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:38 AM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Man that really sucks. I didn't have any of those problems with mine at all. The only problem I had was getting the pipes to seal at the front of the x pipe. So I took it to a place and had it welded together in that one spot. I wonder if the changed manufacturers or something. Idk. With all the problems you are having, are the welds on the headers good? If so then I think that I would probably just go ahead and fix what I had because of all the time and effort you have in it already. I actually went and picked mine up from TSP cause it's like a 30 minute drive for me. I feel bad for talking them up to you.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
What did TSP say? Sounds like shipping damage.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #5
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Who was the online vendor that kept extending the time…. Juiced?
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Wow! I'm also curious what Texas Speed had to say about it all. As they always say, there's good, fast, and cheap, pick 2. Unfortunately you started out thinking you were getting good and cheap but ended up with none of the above. Best of luck with your story. Keep us posted on how things turn out.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #7
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
I just picked up a set of 2”tsp headers and from what I seen there a decent quality , I mean there not ARH but I felt I could save money on headers and spend it else where where I need it for other parts , if I’m not happy with the way it fits I can always change them up and go back to ARH but I’m hoping that will kit be the case .. all In all so far I’m happy with tsp , yeah I had to wait a month to get my order as the headers were on back order but everything else tsp pretty much had . I’ve been real happy with dealing with tsp .. top notch company .. to the op definitely let them know I’m sure they’ll make it right .
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
ARH 100% American made. Definitely my go to and the only one certified by GM for Camaro. I do like the guys at TSP for other stuff. Just not headers.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
ARH 100% American made. Definitely my go to and the only one certified by GM for Camaro. I do like the guys at TSP for other stuff. Just not headers.
I agree 100% about ARH . Stop making me feel like I shorted myself

Keeping my fingers crossed for no big fitment issues lol..
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #10
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Man that really sucks. I didn't have any of those problems with mine at all. The only problem I had was getting the pipes to seal at the front of the x pipe. So I took it to a place and had it welded together in that one spot. I wonder if the changed manufacturers or something. Idk. With all the problems you are having, are the welds on the headers good? If so then I think that I would probably just go ahead and fix what I had because of all the time and effort you have in it already. I actually went and picked mine up from TSP cause it's like a 30 minute drive for me. I feel bad for talking them up to you.

The main driver that has me considering sending the system back is that I have nearly paid the same for the TSP system as I would have for an ARH system (which would've been my 1st choice if cost were not a consideration).

All of the welds look good.

You're lucky, I definitely would have picked them up myself if TSP was closer to me.

Don't feel bad, you gave me honest feedback from your experience. Others have had similar experiences, which is why I decided to choose TSP in the first place.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:27 PM   #11
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
What did TSP say? Sounds like shipping damage.

I have not contacted TSP as I bought the system through a 3rd party vendor. I just sent pictures to the 3rd party vendor today and am awaiting their response. If the issue is not resolved to my satisfaction with the 3rd party vendor, I will then reach out to TSP.

Upon further inspection, I think you may be correct about shipping damage causing the majority of the issues. The x-pipe and midpipe issues look like they very well could be due to shipping damage. The boxes that those components came in were beat up, no doubt. However, the flat spot I observed on the collector seems to be a factory defect. The box the headers came in was pristine.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #12
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Who was the online vendor that kept extending the time…. Juiced?

I don't want to name the vendor, as TSP was responsible for the delays, not the vendor.

I do, however, think that vendors should update their websites to indicate whether a part is in stock or not. They should also post lead time estimates if the part is not in stock.

If I had known the system was not in stock when ordering, I most likely would've kept looking.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #13
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Wow! I'm also curious what Texas Speed had to say about it all. As they always say, there's good, fast, and cheap, pick 2. Unfortunately you started out thinking you were getting good and cheap but ended up with none of the above. Best of luck with your story. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

You're absolutely right; I chose the 2 that were important to me, and got none of the above.

Thanks, man. I'll post updates as they happen.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #14
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
I just picked up a set of 2”tsp headers and from what I seen there a decent quality , I mean there not ARH but I felt I could save money on headers and spend it else where where I need it for other parts , if I’m not happy with the way it fits I can always change them up and go back to ARH but I’m hoping that will kit be the case .. all In all so far I’m happy with tsp , yeah I had to wait a month to get my order as the headers were on back order but everything else tsp pretty much had . I’ve been real happy with dealing with tsp .. top notch company .. to the op definitely let them know I’m sure they’ll make it right .

You're probably fine, and I was just unlucky.

I agree; I thought I could use the money saved to go toward my rear diff upgrade. Still doing the diff upgrade, I'm just paying more than I wanted to for everything now.