Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX427 TT
Flex Fuel sensor readings drop when in boost

Never noticed this before, but my FF sensor reading drops when I do a run down the strip. I have a Triple Fore pump setup and the FF sensor on the return line after the fuel regulator (no bypass line around the FF sensor). So, my question being, what's going on? Yes, my 2nd/3rd pumps are kicking on. Shortly afterwards, my FF sensor output reading goes from 65% to 41%. IDC happy at 43%, FP hanging fine at 78psi. The issue doesn't appear to show up with low boost, it gradually worsens as my boost goes higher.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX427 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalzer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | AEM TruBoost | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | NGK 4554 | DSX Flex Fuel Sensor | AGP's Fore Triple Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 3.25 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
stevieturbo

Drives: Volvo
How does a datalog look ? How long are any dropouts ?

I only just fitted a sensor to my own car a few days ago ( aftermarket setup ) and did notice that when fuel was not flowing the sensor would read zero. But when it was flowing it would read 5% ( pump fuel only )...but again after the pumps had stopped it didnt take long for it to read zero again.

But it did make me wonder what would happen when actually driving. I do have a bypass. Probably be a few days before I drive it and maybe a few more before I add any ethanol to it.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
dreksnot

Starts at my expected 65%, drops to 52% then returns to 65% after the WOT run down the 1/4-mile. It's the white line.
Attached Images

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX427 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalzer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | AEM TruBoost | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | NGK 4554 | DSX Flex Fuel Sensor | AGP's Fore Triple Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 3.25 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
Old 05-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
dreksnot

Here's the whole log run (the large picture)
Attached Images

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 05-06-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Here's the whole log run (the large picture)
Hey, looking at your scanner channels, can you explain what your TORQ(mod) and WHP(mod) are? The (mod) part, that is.

As for your Flex Fuel problem, I wonder if it's a function of flow rate? Maybe the return line is seeing some cavitation, for lack of a better term, when all three pumps are running full tilt?

Any way to toggle the pumps on one at a time, to see if it's a flow rate problem?

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
dreksnot

TORQ(mod) is a multiplied version of the Engine Torque in HPTuners. It was pretty close with the LS3 but I had to do a multiplier with the increase in CID on the LSX. HP(mod) is calculated with the Engine Torque and has the multiplier. I set the multiplier by comparing a dyno session with the HPTuners output, and matched them.

There's a Fuel Composition Sensor (frequency) in the PIDs. I might try that to see if it's dropping. As for stepping the fuel pumps in, that would be easy enough to try. The FF sensor in on the return line (original stock supply line), so it's after the filter, rails, regulator.

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 05-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
I worked with Dave Steck quite a bit while developing his triple fuel pump assembly. I also troubleshot his dsx aux pump with him, and own his FF kit. He told me explicitly to NEVER put the FF sensor in the return line. Guys are always reporting odd stuff to DSX when they do so.

That being said, mine is in the return. Lol.
ESS Tuning G3X Blower 913whp/787tq@6400
JRE Tuned
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I wonder if you're using enough fuel while at wot that you aren't getting much flow of fuel in the return line and its skewing the reading.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors JMS BAP JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering long tubes 2.5 cat back borla atak ZL1 pump JRE flow control module JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links 704WHP 603WTQ
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
I wonder if you're using enough fuel while at wot that you aren't getting much flow of fuel in the return line and its skewing the reading.
I can't imagine using too much fuel with my setup. Perhaps fuel moving too fast through the sensor??? But, keep the ideas coming.

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 05-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #10
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
I can't imagine using too much fuel with my setup. Perhaps fuel moving too fast through the sensor??? But, keep the ideas coming.
But it's in the return line, why would the fuel move faster through the return line while you're using more fuel under WOT. I'm thinking as your engine consumes more fuel the flow in the return is actually diminished which would cause the inaccuracy. Probably not the easiest thing to do but if possible I'd try it before the rail and see if the problem goes away.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors JMS BAP JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering long tubes 2.5 cat back borla atak ZL1 pump JRE flow control module JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links 704WHP 603WTQ
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #11
stevieturbo

Drives: Volvo
I would highly doubt speed has anything to do with it.

Although the behaviour sounds odd

Raw frequency signal of the sensor would be interesting though, as they should range from 50-150Hz so if that was still stable...the issue is with how that signal is being interpreted.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
dreksnot

I start digging and looking and find other weird stuff. This time my E% dropped from my expected 65% to 58%, then 55%, then 50%, returning to the expected 65% after letting off crossing the end of the quarter.

Now, the weird stuff - my FP is dropping when launching. I'm doing my 2-step thing (mine only cuts ignition), building a little boost, easing out the clutch and see my FP tank to 30 (see 1st pic). It recovers. This happened 2 of out 11 runs. The other time was when I activated my anti-lag (timing retard) and while it built up boost, the FP dropped out (see 2nd pic). So, this looks boost/fuel pump related? That 2nd picture, however, did not have the E% drop the whole run.
Attached Images

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 05-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
RyangAsh

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I need these graph set ups!

Flow in the return line under high rpm is going to be my guess. Why is the sensor on the return line? Did I miss something?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyangAsh View Post
I need these graph set ups!

Flow in the return line under high rpm is going to be my guess. Why is the sensor on the return line? Did I miss something?
I had it in the supply on my LS3 setup with LPE twin-fuel pump supplying. No issues. When the Triple Fore was installed we used the original supply fuel line as the new return line, keeping the FF sensor in place. Can't really think why that would be a problem.

In excess of 1,000WHP