Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #561
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
So we are all sure it is going to be 700+ HP. They are making them already? I will believe it when they actually start making them.
They are real, they have been in testing since last fall running around MI.

Order banks are supposed to open next week, production start in August.

If you want a 4-door, the Charger gets the package later in the year.
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #562
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Great move for Dodge, now they gotta deliver on game day.

1. Price
2. Non Locked ECUs
3. The Rest of the key PERFORMANCE numbers. 255/275 tires will be interesting getting grip and keeping grip. (Braking, turning, accelerating)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #563
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooSSted View Post
A 392 SRT8 which is clearly lacking in every aspect with the Chevy and Ford offerings cost 50K+ ... So assuming Dodge will only tack on another 2-5K for new tech, suspension, brakes, and blowers is dead.
The same way adding a better clutch, a carbon fiber driveshaft, improved aerodynamics, a different blower, and several other impressive updates to the GT500 from 2012 to 2013 skyrocketed the price?

Oh wait, it came in right around a 6,000 dollar increase for a base model.

Dodge is going to (and apparently already has) hurt some feelings with this car and where they price point it.

Of course it won't register with half the car forums in the world. You're already witnessing the same counter arguments you heard when ford said 662.

I laughed at some Mustang tards the other day talking about the Challenger and it was nearly word for word the same argument I heard here from ZL1 fans when Ford announced the 2013 GT500.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #564
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Congrats to Dodge for building a kick ass car with huge Horsepower.

Now I'm off to order a 750hp kit for my ZL1 so I can screw with anyone who orders a Hellcat and thinks they'll beat up my ZL. MhooooHaHaHa!
So, how will you know if they didn't go out and order the 1000hp package and you think he's stock.
These statements always Crack me up.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #565
slakjak1215

Drives: 2014 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
What's Dodge going to do with the Viper now? Sounds like this Challenger may cost maybe $20-30,000 less than the Viper and be at least equal. And if comparing apples to apples, this Challenger should be compared to the Z28, a car with 200 less HP that will probably kick its a$$.
The Viper is still an iconic car. Looks 100x better and is considered a super car. Vipers will still sell based off of their looks and name. Bring both to a car show and any half brain dead person won't know if the challenger is 700 hp or not. They won't care. Most rich people don't really look for cars like the challenger when shopping, again the name comes to mind first. They hear Viper or Challenger and they shoot for the Viper. I don't think the Viper sales will drop because of this car honestly.

But who knows! just my .02 cents
slakjak1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #566
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
can't wait to see one, an instant collectible..now just need the color options..guessing it'll be in the $55-60k range.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #567
bignaz

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
And the price will be? Im guess much more then a Z28. Slap a turbo in a Z28 and be at ablut the same price then flip off the guy in the challanger as you stomp the crap pout of him Or just take the Extra $20-to $30k over the ZL1 that this will run and dump it into a ZL1 and flip him off in that.

I love the HP war is back on but lets see how many of them ponys make it to the dealer and how much its going to cost. The SRT starts at $40,000 so im guessing that if your shopping for this then the z28, vets, shelbys are all well withen your price range.
bignaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #568
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
The same way adding a better clutch, a carbon fiber driveshaft, improved aerodynamics, a different blower, and several other impressive updates to the GT500 from 2012 to 2013 skyrocketed the price?

Oh wait, it came in right around a 6,000 dollar increase for a base model.

Dodge is going to (and apparently already has) hurt some feelings with this car and where they price point it.

Of course it won't register with half the car forums in the world. You're already witnessing the same counter arguments you heard when ford said 662.

I laughed at some Mustang tards the other day talking about the Challenger and it was nearly word for word the same argument I heard here from ZL1 fans when Ford announced the 2013 GT500.
Other than the increased power and Viper transmission, what improvements have been made? I've looked at the Hellcat site but don't see it. The ZL1 proved you can make a heavy car balanced, I just don't see the details here.

I rented a Charger R/T while my GTO was getting body work done. I hated it so much I asked my wife to drive it and took her Honda Crosstour. Piece of junk IMO

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #569
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RaceRed 5.0 View Post
Comparison lbs/hp

GT500: 5.86
Hellcat: 6.29
ZL1: 7.10

Hellcat short 52hp, needs 759hp to = GT500
ZL1 short 123hp, needs 703hp to = GT500

For me, 420hp is more than enough ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock vs Stock, the Hellcat automatic will need nothing to take care of the 500 in the following the majority of chance encounters: 0-60, 1/8, 1/4, Stop light-Stop light, and top end. Roll race and track handling could be interesting.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #570
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Originally Posted by slakjak1215 View Post
The Viper is still an iconic car. Looks 100x better and is considered a super car. Vipers will still sell based off of their looks and name. Bring both to a car show and any half brain dead person won't know if the challenger is 700 hp or not. They won't care. Most rich people don't really look for cars like the challenger when shopping, again the name comes to mind first. They hear Viper or Challenger and they shoot for the Viper. I don't think the Viper sales will drop because of this car honestly.

But who knows! just my .02 cents
Except that Vipers are not selling now...

To date they have sold less than 500 cars as of March and shut down production. Was supposed to resume June 23 but hadn't heard if that happened.
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #571
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
[QUOTE=2013 RaceRed 5.0;7790619]Comparison lbs/hp

GT500: 5.86
Hellcat: 6.29
ZL1: 7.10

Hellcat short 52hp, needs 759hp to = GT500
ZL1 short 123hp, needs 703hp to = GT500

Where did SRT/Dodge release the official weight? Link?
All I have seen is estimated......

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #572
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
My primary concern for Dodge is that they haven't brought a sports car to the table. They're the only brand with a pure muscle car, but that's not a compliment. As a term of heritage, we tend to like calling the pony car class muscle cars; however, a muscle car can be clearly identified by it's power and almost complete lack of interest in road course suspension testing. While the Camaro leads the pack in advanced suspensions—don't bother arguing Ford fanboys—and the Mustang offers suspension options, Dodge has yet to advertise anything worthy of non-drag competition. Here, we see the Hellcat, a performance SRT that will drag well but won't be real competition for the GT500, ZL1, or Z/28 on a road course. As much as I want to see Dodge do well—they are on the right path—they aren't actually competing. They're doing the bare minimum by producing impressive horsepower numbers without actually producing a whole car that stands a chance in the pony car market.

Like I said, Dodge is making a muscle car; a brute; a car without the capability necessary to do anything other than drag races and burnouts. Everyone else is making sports cars designed to compete across the board.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #573
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
My primary concern for Dodge is that they haven't brought a sports car to the table. They're the only brand with a pure muscle car, but that's not a compliment. As a term of heritage, we tend to like calling the pony car class muscle cars; however, a muscle car can be clearly identified by it's power and almost complete lack of interest in road course suspension testing. While the Camaro leads the pack in advanced suspensions—don't bother arguing Ford fanboys—and the Mustang offers suspension options, Dodge has yet to advertise anything worthy of non-drag competition. Here, we see the Hellcat, a performance SRT that will drag well but won't be real competition for the GT500, ZL1, or Z/28 on a road course. As much as I want to see Dodge do well—they are on the right path—they aren't actually competing. They're doing the bare minimum by producing impressive horsepower numbers without actually producing a whole car that stands a chance in the pony car market.

Like I said, Dodge is making a muscle car; a brute; a car without the capability necessary to do anything other than drag races and burnouts. Everyone else is making sports cars designed to compete across the board.
You do understand that outside of reading magazine articles the majority of Camaro/Mustang/Challenger & Charger owners could care less about track ability. By far the majority of owners are looking for street performance and strip performance. So tell me why should Dodge change its angle? I wonder how many members on all three forums actually track their car. I know here even in the ZL1 forum there seems to be much more interest in the 1/4.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #574
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
2015 hellcat 707 HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
You do understand that outside of reading magazine articles the majority of Camaro/Mustang/Challenger & Charger owners could care less about track ability. By far the majority of owners are looking for street performance and strip performance. So tell me why should Dodge change its angle? I wonder how many members on all three forums actually track their car. I know here even in the ZL1 forum there seems to be much more interest in the 1/4.

It's a matter of marketing for Dodge. They've been getting away with sloppy performance cars for years without investing in the same stuff as the competition.

For customers, it's a ripoff. People will buy it because they measure their egos by the number of ponies under the hood. Of course, a combination of superior suspension, better grip, lighter body, aerodynamics, and driving skill can beat pure power at the track, even in a straight line. Why should Dodge change their tune? Eventually, their drivers will either get sick of being bested by less powerful cars or the real drivers will just drive something else. It's a ripoff because Camaro and Mustang development teams design a car with more capability in the same price range.

In any case, there's no need to be confrontational about it. The Navy doesn't pay me to track my car, so I don't have the available funds to start my racecar driving career. Racecar driving aside, you can feel the difference between a superior car and an inferior car on the street, and it's obvious you're driving a powerful but inferior Dodge every time. That's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of engineering and science.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt