Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you think it is the end for the manual?
Yes, only automatics will be produced in the future. 112 20.44%
No, you will still have an option for a manual. 436 79.56%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
The proper manual transmission is unlikely to go away anytime soon, at least not in the types of cars that are really worth buying. For enthusiasts, there is no substitute, and some companies are actually starting to bring back the option into car lines that haven't had it for decades. Plus, the newer 6, 8, soon to be more speed automatics are really annoying from an enthusiast standpoint. The constant shifting, hunting, and over lugging at highway speeds of those can make a 400hp car feel like an econobox.

It's also been my experience that few car makers make a really good (read, durable) automatic transmission capable of lasting the life of the car. And at least for now, some of the cheaper dual clutch automatics (Ford and VW), leave a lot of drivers wishing for a manual instead.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #16
fielderLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
By manual transmission they mean an actual manual, with a clutch and stick shift.

However the interesting point is Ferrari's and Lamborghinis are not "automatic" transmissions in the traditional sense of the word. They are electro-hydraulically controlled manuals. Basically electronics control the clutches, and translate the paddle shifts into shifter movement.

In contrast, the Camaro has a true manual, and the shifter buttons only tell the automatic what to do, it still has a traditional torque converter.
Actually, some Lambos still have a traditional manual transmission with a gear lever and all three pedals.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Does anyone miss the single shot rifle that you have to pack the powder in?

How bout the steam engine?

Maybe manual roll up window or manual steering?

It would fade away quietly just like everything else. And 50 years form now you'll have bald fat guys out in a feild somewhere remenising about the days when driving a manual meant you were better than everybody else. .......... wait...........

I also agree that, until then, it should be required learning in Drivers Ed.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

It would fade away quietly just like everything else. And 50 years form now you'll have bald fat guys out in a feild somewhere remenising about the days when driving a manual meant you were better than everybody else. .......... wait...........

I do miss
Being able to order a Camaro with any engine in the book

Driving without cats

Having a 427 that gets 8mpg

30 cent gas prices.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
I do miss
Being able to order a Camaro with any engine in the book

Driving without cats

Having a 427 that gets 8mpg

30 cent gas prices.

But I do have one of those.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #20
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:

Spoken like the owner of a slushbox! JK! Don't care who's faster, only know it's more fun
Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Spoken like the owner of a slushbox! JK! Don't care who's faster, only know it's more fun
I have never argued that for sure. I've often longed for a manual. But I drive a freinds and I'm ok. I might even swap if I could but I know I'd want to swap back in a year, and swap back, and then back, and back ........
Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #22
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
I have never argued that for sure. I've often longed for a manual. But I drive a freinds and I'm ok. I might even swap if I could but I know I'd want to swap back in a year, and swap back, and then back, and back ........
Just get a new car every year. Manual all the way this time... Auto's are for those who can't drive..
Old 11-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
DITCHDIGGER

Drives: Boring
Automatics bore me to death! I have an econobox that i drive 180 miles round trip in L.A traffic. It is a Manual and I wouldn't have it any other way. The automatic robs so much power in a small car. If performance cars go to only automatics, I will never buy a new one again. The only vehicle I like an automatic in is a truck. I think its really cool that you can still get a luxury caddy in a stick!
DITCHDIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
fielderLS3

Agree with the post to some extent, but.....

Quote:
Not quite a good analogy. Would hunting be the same if you just pushed a button, and the gun loaded, aimed, and shot itself while you sat in a chair and watched? Sure, it is easier, but what would be the point? I'm not saying I want to go back to the days of double clutching, but some driver input in an enthusiast car would be nice.

Quote:
Maybe manual roll up window or manual steering
As someone whose car has a leaking power steering pump, and a power window that is currently not working.....

Quote:
Problem solved. A steam engine would eliminate the need for the transmission entirely, and without the range anxiety of an electric.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
It's no doubt that each has their pros and cons, however one member brought up a very, very good point. Fuel economy is becoming a bigger and bigger issue for the consumer, and selling point for the manufacturer. And the fact of the matter is that these ridiculous auto's with 8 speeds (SOB! Really!?!) are incredibly fuel efficient, more so than a manual could ever be. That's why I believe that cars in general will be all auto's in the not so distant future, not because people want everything to be automated nowadays, but because it means less $$$ at the pump.

Side note: I HATE some of the new auto's with this ridiculous number of gears. Example, Ferrari 458 Italia, 7 Speeds. It makes the car sound horrendous. Standing on the corner, listening to one accelerate hard was not as much fun as it should of been. All you hear is a constant changing in gears that doesn't allow for the enjoyment of that pure music!
Raptor626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #26
fielderLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor626 View Post
It's no doubt that each has their pros and cons, however one member brought up a very, very good point. Fuel economy is becoming a bigger and bigger issue for the consumer, and selling point for the manufacturer. And the fact of the matter is that these ridiculous auto's with 8 speeds (SOB! Really!?!) are incredibly fuel efficient, more so than a manual could ever be. That's why I believe that cars in general will be all auto's in the not so distant future, not because people want everything to be automated nowadays, but because it means less $$$ at the pump.
That's true for most cars, but sports cars will always be available with a manual option. Car enthusiasts looking at a sports/muscle car are not all that fuel economy minded, and few of them want a transmission that tries to keep the engine constantly bogged down to around 1200-1400 RPM at all times, even at interstate speeds.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #27
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Agree with the post to some extent, but.....

Not quite a good analogy. Would hunting be the same if you just pushed a button, and the gun loaded, aimed, and shot itself while you sat in a chair and watched? Sure, it is easier, but what would be the point? I'm not saying I want to go back to the days of double clutching, but some driver input in an enthusiast car would be nice.

As someone whose car has a leaking power steering pump, and a power window that is currently not working.....

Problem solved. A steam engine would eliminate the need for the transmission entirely, and without the range anxiety of an electric.
Fair enough. lol

I pulled the comparrisons off the top of my head. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Just get a new car every year. Manual all the way this time... Auto's are for those who can't drive..
I'm not biting.

Or those who like winning............ LMAO
Old 11-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #28
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

I'm not biting. Or those who like winning............ LMAO
Someone will bite... and then the thread will get closed...

Tags
enthusiasts, manual, transmission