Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2021, 05:07 PM   #15
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I’ll have to look into Hagerty. I bought mine as a lease return in March 2016 with exactly 36k on it. As of today it has 52-ish k.

Had I remembered PA doesn’t emission test under 5k a year I would have gone catless instead of high flow cats.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:18 PM   #16
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
A friend of mine my age has a convertible 2012 RS, when people say something about old guys in Camaros to him he says, “we the only sumbitches that can afford to insure the damn thangs!”
lmao 🤣
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:43 PM   #17
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I just got off the phone with them and they quoted me $140 a month. Kinda high but I do have a big accident on my record from 2019.
I pay $144 a month with no tickets or accidents and well over 50 years old but it's here in Las Vegas Valley and rates here are ridiculous compared to a lot of other parts of the country.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:38 AM   #18
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
I pay $144 a month with no tickets or accidents and well over 50 years old but it's here in Las Vegas Valley and rates here are ridiculous compared to a lot of other parts of the country.
Yeah I'm soon to be 44 years young feel like 60 though with a few health problems. So I think that the cost of insurance is cheaper in Texas but not really sure what others are paying. Hagerty is about $600 dollars cheaper a year then geico but that's not apples to apples. The geico policy is for a daily driver and the Hagerty policy is for a pleasure only vehicle. That's with Hagerty putting a restriction of sort for 7k miles a year but the lady I spoke to said if I went over a little it would be ok whatever a little is.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Last edited by morepowerjoe; 07-27-2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #19
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
I pay $250 for 3 vehicles. 2 with uninsured motorist and comp/ collision. 43 no tickets. Camaro has limited liability and only supposed to drive 5000 mi a yr

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #20
morepowerjoe

If you don't mind what agency do you use?

Old 06-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #21
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I pay $250 for 3 vehicles. 2 with uninsured motorist and comp/ collision. 43 no tickets. Camaro has limited liability and only supposed to drive 5000 mi a yr
Im right at about $300 for the Camaro, Chevy K20, Silverado 2500, and Yukon Denali. Full coverage on everything but the silverado. 2 cars each between Hagerty and Geico, 0 tickets between me and my wife and no accidents or anything else.(knock on wood) I’d rather keep full coverage on everything I can but that’s definitely just me.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #22
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Im right at about $300 for the Camaro, Chevy K20, Silverado 2500, and Yukon Denali. Full coverage on everything but the silverado. 2 cars each between Hagerty and Geico, 0 tickets between me and my wife and no accidents or anything else.(knock on wood) I’d rather keep full coverage on everything I can but that’s definitely just me.

Yeah my camaro I paid cash for it and my wife paid cash for her 2015 explorer but we keep full coverage on them both to protect our investments. We don't like payments.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #23
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I'll make a longer post this time about insurance since this thread was referenced in a duplicate short thread recently.

The agent on the phone isn't the all knowing person for the company and can't guarantee what will happen:
I got a sport bike (GSXR1000 long ago) and called to have it added to my policy. My insurance agent said that would raise me to high risk and they don't do high risk people and I'd be dropped ! Turns out I wasn't dropped but it did indicate my risk number was putting me up to a place they didn't want me.
Insurance is like Vegas gambling, they have odds and they hire mathmeticians and look at many years of examples of insured people and claims to determine what amout to charge and earn a profit. Tickets and accidents mean that person is more likely to make a claim and a middle aged careful driver is less likely so they can charge them less. The high risk driver who gets a big at fault claim or ticket might be dropped or moved to a high risk company even if you think you're still on the same insurance company they have a subcontract with a high risk group internally. This insurance is F' ing expensive.
When you call your insurance they make a note of what your question is so if there is a claim later or they review you before renewal, anything you say can and will be used against you... "hey if I add a supercharger to my car and it makes 1000hp..."
Typically the big companies want a generic type car and driver because that's what their numbers are based on. If you add expensive wheels that are often stolen they might have that 'wheels upgrade insurance' come up often enough they have an option for that and can put extra coverage for it and charge a set amount for it, let's say $25 a month. That is similar to adding expensive jewelry to your homeowners policy, and might require more documention along with extra expense. Not all companies want to get into that higher risk and higher chance of claims like mods. Performance mods can be particulaly despised by insurance companies. In their minds it's a Mustang plowing into crowds receipe. Very expensive claims. Again my big insurance company I don't care to name and argue with a random internet troll about, said they would drop me for performance mods, or "sure just let us know what is is and we'll send it up to the review board". A pleasing way of saying, we are a wonderful company here to serve you, but behind the scenes we might throw you into the high risk or drop you, "have a nice day".
What happens if you have a claim and do have performance mods? They likely would never know unless you told them and started asking for extra money on a claim. They would want to make sure you really had the added value and why didn't you pay them for it in higher rates all along? Did that make you and your car a higher risk during that time?
Please keep in mind, "my buddy sells insurance...the agent on the phone said, the adjustor said...". That isn't a good source for information. When it hits the fan and you make a claim or you are reviewed for renewal it's all higher ups that do that, these folks however wonderful they are, don't have any insight or say in that process.
LIkewise "I know this guy that was paid out on a claim for mods...". Did you also know he was dropped from his insurance or moved to a high risk category?
One or two specialty car insurance companies openly accept mods and high risk cars but they expect it to be rarely driven and garaged at night.
My point is to stay in good terms with what insurance company you have and have proper expectations on policy expenses and claims.
One area is if you are in an At Fault state where the other person if they caused damage to your car, are responsible to pay for the full amount of damage. In that case they should pay for damaged mods also. Your insurance company might not be as ready to throw you under the bus in that case but many of us are in a No Fault insurance state and it gets run through your insurance even if the other guy caused the crash. Again what repercussions you face from that is up to that higher decision board and all the factors you have going against you and company policy.

Last edited by silversleeper; 07-27-2021 at 10:36 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #24
morepowerjoe

Thanks for the long winded reply Silversleeper. lol. No really thank you for the explanation you make some good points I hadn't thought about. I now think I need to keep my current insurance because I was going to change it next month. But now I feel like they don't consider me high risk anyways but I'll really know next month when I renew with them. Thanks

Old 07-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #25
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Thanks for the long winded reply Silversleeper. lol. No really thank you for the explanation you make some good points I hadn't thought about. I now think I need to keep my current insurance because I was going to change it next month. But now I feel like they don't consider me high risk anyways but I'll really know next month when I renew with them. Thanks
yeah it is. I think 2/3 of the members won't read it, too long, but that's ok. If it helps a couple people choose best it's all good.

Oh for feks sake, I thought of one more thing . Whatever you do, DON'T let there be any uninsured gap as you change insurance companies!
To them it looks like you were dropped or something bad and your rates will be doubled, all companies will do that so your screwed for years until they drop down again. Don't make the same mistakes I have, at the time starting the new insurace on the 1st of the next month instead of 26th exp of the old insurance seemed reasonable.

Last edited by silversleeper; 07-27-2021 at 12:26 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #26
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
I messaged my insurance agent (State Farm), and I guess they don’t cover the modifications. I only pay 78$ for liability, and if I do full coverage it’s 120$. I rarely drive the car, hence why I only put liability.

Got a quote from Hagerty and it’s 130$ and that’s with covering the car at 40k with mods. Not too bad, but again I barely drive the car.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #27
morepowerjoe

I just went to Hagerty as well. Got a 20k policy for $90 a month. I was way over paying at geico.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:50 PM   #28
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
I just went to Hagerty as well. Got a 20k policy for $90 a month. I was way over paying at geico.
Me too, it was a no brainer to switch.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote