Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-07-2022, 11:55 PM   #1
Camaro23$$

Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2012 2SS
NPP Exhaust

Hello, I thought I had read somewhere that the NPP exhaust on my 2013 ZL1 was a decent exhaust. That I could just do headers and leave the exhaust as it is adequate. Just want to make sure I’m remembering this correctly since I cant find the thread now.

Thanks in advance! Starting to look at doing some mods on my stock ZL1 so trying to choose what’s a priority and what isn’t.

2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3, GPI SS1 Cam, GPI Cam Kit, LS9 Head Gasket, Upgraded Valley Cover, Upgraded Crank Bolt, Lifter Trays, CHE Trunnion Kit, BTR Platinum Valve Springs, GPI Hardened Push Rods, GPI Phase Limiter, Upgraded Lifters, Corsa Dual Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Headers.
Camaro23$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:49 AM   #2
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I have the stock exhaust with headers and I think if I had anything else it would be too loud. It is still very loud when WOT! I am quite satisfied with the sound, but everyone is different. If you want obnoxious loud, you probably want a different exhaust.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:41 AM   #3
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I have the NPP with 1 7/8 LTH headers and Hi Flow cats. I have the Mild to Wild installed and leave the exhaust open most of the time ( I have it hooked to garage door opener buttons ) I really like the sound and see no reason to change it.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Leave it stock.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #5
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
I dig the sound of the stock exhaust. I am running headers and catless.I also have my fused pulled. Sounds great with a cam and you don't pick up any hp with the axle back. I would put my money elsewhere. Enjoy that beast.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:26 PM   #6
Robmnrd

Drives: 2013 ZL1
+1 for headers and stock mufflers.

I've got that with hi-flow cats and the fuse pulled. I think it's basically perfect, though I would not mind a little more volume at idle and light acceleration. Nothing crazy, just a hair more would be perfect for me. The sound quality is great though, wouldn't change that for anything. Way better than all the Flowmaster Mustangs out there or even the muffler delete Mopars (most common ones around here).
Robmnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I run 2" headers with custom resonators in the place of the cats with a BBK x-pipe to the stock mufflers with a ADM exhaust controller. I really like the sound... no rasp with a good tone. I've tried multiple variations including catless pipes with the stock h-pipe and I like my current version the best.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:51 AM   #8
sswt00ss
Visualize°Design°Create

Drives: '18 CTS-V & '13 ZL1
My ZL1 has Kooks LT's/ high-flow green cats, mated to the stock NPP w/ the fuse pulled. Perfect sound (for me). Minimal, if any drone and has a solid sound at WOT. Also get the burble and popping on decel.
sswt00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #9
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro23$$ View Post
Hello, I thought I had read somewhere that the NPP exhaust on my 2013 ZL1 was a decent exhaust. That I could just do headers and leave the exhaust as it is adequate. Just want to make sure I’m remembering this correctly since I cant find the thread now.

Thanks in advance! Starting to look at doing some mods on my stock ZL1 so trying to choose what’s a priority and what isn’t.

Keep the NPP. I run ARH headers, to their hi-flow cats, and their 3-inch X-pipe (AKA their Long System) to the NPP.

I have the Forza 3-way exhaust controller installed to force always open, always closed, or stock ECU control. Works great!
Old 06-12-2022, 08:37 PM   #10
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
FasNuf is NPP. I like the sound of the stock mufflers catless with headers. It's just the right loudness with a nice tone and no drone. Opened up they're extremely loud and drone at highway speeds. A Mild 2 Wild isn't necessary, it's a simple grounding of a wire. No fuse pulling and no expensive hardware. A 2 or 3 way switch is all that's needed depending if you still want the factory auto mode.

Another shameless self promoting video is attached...

https://youtu.be/R1WfpAotXIY

FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote