Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-18-2021, 12:16 AM   #1
Elmobeg6

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Camaro SS Burnout Questions

Iíve had my SS almost a full year next month, Iíve never done a full out burnout sorry if itís a common dumb question. Iíve done a burnout from accelerating with TC off from a red light, my issue is when I try to power brake burnout the car just jerks forward violently, idk if Iím doing something wrong or the brakes can not handle the power? I know burnouts are childish but Iíve always had audiĒs as my cars and their AWD so Iíve never had the chance for a burnout so Iím just itching to do a real one! Thank you!
Elmobeg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:15 AM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Dude, don't feel bad. I have had my car 5 years, am full bolt on and cammed, and still haven't done a stationary smokey burnout.

I just can't bring myself to do it. Between the cost of tires and the guilt of 'abusing' my baby, I am not sure I will ever grow a real pair. Shit, I pat my car and apologize when I bring her over 6k rpm.

BTW, has anyone seen my man card? I think I lost it somewhere.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7ļ overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), FlowMaster Outlaw axle back/X-Pipe, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160ļ thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels - Tuned by Ryan @ GPI via HP Tuners
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:39 AM   #3
Street Demon

Drives: Camaro SS
Pimp Juice
Street Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:09 AM   #4
0stones0
It donít come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Dude, don't feel bad. I have had my car 5 years, am full bolt on and cammed, and still haven't done a stationary smokey burnout.

I just can't bring myself to do it. Between the cost of tires and the guilt of 'abusing' my baby, I am not sure I will ever grow a real pair. Shit, I pat my car and apologize when I bring her over 6k rpm.

Guess weíre on the same page. I just find no reason to do something that has been done a kajillion times by somebody else and serves no other purpose than to say you can do it. Plus, with my luck, Iíd probably throw an axle or some other costly mishap.
Takes just as much balls to be smart as it does to throw caution to the wind.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:23 AM   #5
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

lol, gave me a chuckle
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 10psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:23 AM   #6
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
I don't do stationary burnouts, but I like to do donuts when I'm going to replace the rear tires. Hooligan without guilt.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Daily Driven, 796 WHP 645 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 10lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.75 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #7
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I also haven't done a burnout...
I accelerate pretty strong when I can, sometimes spinning the tires a little, but have not really tried making any smoke in 7 years! Just can't bring myself to abuse my pride and joy like that!
I told that to a co-worker that once, and he said "Oh, so it's all cartooned up then?"
I don't think it's quite that bad, but I'm happy with what I have and want to keep it perfect as long as possible.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmobeg6 View Post
Iíve had my SS almost a full year next month, Iíve never done a full out burnout sorry if itís a common dumb question. Iíve done a burnout from accelerating with TC off from a red light, my issue is when I try to power brake burnout the car just jerks forward violently, idk if Iím doing something wrong or the brakes can not handle the power? I know burnouts are childish but Iíve always had audiĒs as my cars and their AWD so Iíve never had the chance for a burnout so Iím just itching to do a real one! Thank you!
Have you tried holding the traction control button for 7-10 seconds until all of the "nannies" turn off then so a burnout? Also, if you're stock and in an automatic GM is kind of lame about their restrictions to keep you from a burnout. You're best to get the car slightly rolling then hit both pedals so you get a screen shot and start smoking the tires. (BTW, the screen shot thing is a joke. Don't take me too literally. )
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:12 AM   #9
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Hold the button down in front of the shifter for about 7 seconds. Both yellow lights will illuminate. This turns off TC and stabilitrac. Perhaps you just turned off TC and stabilitrac is activating. Manual or auto?
N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank, progressive, fuel hose upgrade, remote opener, heater, console switches), LNC2000, CTAP, ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers, Jet Hot coated LTs, JRE SCT Tune, CAI, Scoop, Rx Catch Can, Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res, Metco loop, Momentum Tunnel Brace, TSW Nurb 18" 555 & 05, Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods, Autometer WB, Fesler Pillar Pod, LED strips (int), Lloyds floor & trunk mats, LED DRL/front turn & license plate, DRL harness, VLEDs tail lights, Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #10
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I ease into stomping the pedal so as to not shock the drivetrain and break axles/driveshaft/rear end, etc.
I learned real quick NOT to take T/C off, either partially or fully off, when nailing the throttle WHEN ANY OTHER CARS OR PEOPLE ARE AROUND. Just watch some Mustang videos of assorted idiots.
Scarier yet is power shifting under boost (6sp trans) - you can get sideways or swap ends in a hurry. Been there, and loaded my shorts a few times
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:18 AM   #11
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
At the track I stopped doing burn outs. I noticed that my ETs were the same with or without a burn out. This is the same for the GN and the 2SS. I did learn when I did the burn out with the GN that Buick had not installed the posi=traction rear. My friend pointed out that I was burning only one tire. So I installed a new rear end but stopped burn outs anyway.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #12
Tarendor

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss rs L99
Or just install a line lock hehe
2012 2SS/RS, L99, no cats/mufflers, Ported intake manifold, fuel rail upgrade, ID1050x injectors, Vmax throttle body, 25% UDP, GPI DOD delete, GPI SS3, GPI cnc heads, GPI Ė 5/16″ Hardened Pushrods, BTR trunion upgrade, BTR .660 springs, pcv revamp w/dual catch cans, Circle D 3800, full BMR suspension & bushings. ZL1 fuel pump, HPT programmed fpcm. JMS bap, Snow VC-50 methanol setup. custom 4gal methonal tank, vs7875 turbo, FMIC, precision 46mm WG, 50mm BOV, 3bar map, SJM line lock, Innovate SCG-1, Hurst shifter with tap shift mod, ◊2 Holley 14" fans Diy E85, Diy auxiliary pump
Tarendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #13
joshnmn
2&dahit?

Drives: a black SS on sunny days :)
Like said above, turn off both traction control and stabilitrac (hold traction control button down).
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #14
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM 2399
All the nannies off is the trick, my SS is mostly stock and automatic... he’s a causal smoker from time to time. Mine will power brake with out any real effort at all honestly.
ĒBlueĒABM #2399, 2010 2SS/RS: GM GFX, GM Heritage, GM dovetail, Silver Ice Rally stripes.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote