Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Camaro and catch cans

Might want to review this before you install a catch can. They won't do any harm but Master Mechanic Paul Koerner says we already have one.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021...81cZt_gxwKfP3E
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup thats why i never added one till recently but i just added the elite x2 one since i got it for free from my buddy and have been tracking my car more recently
Old 07-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Might want to review this before you install a catch can. They won't do any harm but Master Mechanic Paul Koerner says we already have one.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021...81cZt_gxwKfP3E
From the article:

"The bottom line is that if you have a dry-sump lubrication system, you already have a catch can"

The LT1 is a wet sump system...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
From the article:

"The bottom line is that if you have a dry-sump lubrication system, you already have a catch can"

The LT1 is a wet sump system...
Watch it again. Pay particular attention to time starting about 2:50... It is build in and drains back down to the oil pan. That is talking about the wet sump system.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Watch it again. Pay particular attention to time starting about 2:50... It is build in and drains back down to the oil pan. That is talking about the wet sump system.
Yes, the LT1 has a clean side catch can, but the aftermarket ones are for the dirty side... Mine catches a fair amount of oil, that now isn't getting to my intake and valves...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 07-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
I was impressed with how much my catch can caught that did not make it back into the intake. Whether you believe in them or not is up to you obviously, I will keep the one I installed on though. Just knowing that it is pulling that excess waste out before it makes it back to the engine is good for me and gives me peace of mind.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Yes, the LT1 has a clean side catch can, but the aftermarket ones are for the dirty side... Mine catches a fair amount of oil, that now isn't getting to my intake and valves...
This
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:

I don't know....the guy is a Master Mechanic and says we don't need one. He knows a lot more than me so while I have considered one in the past and indeed had one on my C5 Corvette that did catch a lot of oil which he says might do some good if you do hard acceleration, which I did do from time to time, but not on our LT1's.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Do we “need” one? No. Most owners are not going to keep their vehicles to the point that the coking which occurs on the intake valves with direct injection becomes a drivability problem. Plus, when you factor in the risk of a warranty denial for a modification that offers more long term than short term benefit, it’s obvious we do not need one. That said, I run the Elite and the amount of oil and impurities I drain out every 3,000 miles is significant. That’s stuff that does not go back into my engine, not all of which would be subsequently burned. Since my warranty is toast due to other mods, I track my car, I plan on keeping it until I am boots up and I am anal about shit in my engine, I have a CC...even though I do not need one.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
I don't know....the guy is a Master Mechanic and says we don't need one. He knows a lot more than me so while I have considered one in the past and indeed had one on my C5 Corvette that did catch a lot of oil which he says might do some good if you do hard acceleration, which I did do from time to time, but not on our LT1's.
This... Not to mention all the GM engineers... If all those smart people felt that the LT1 needed one on the dirty side too, it would have been added just like the clean side.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #11
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
The LT1 has been out since 2014. Consider these posts

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=6

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...42&postcount=7

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
This... Not to mention all the GM engineers... If all those smart people felt that the LT1 needed one on the dirty side too, it would have been added just like the clean side.
Don't forget, a dirty side catch can requires additional maintenance (emptying it), if it were to fill up full (due to lack of emptying) it would be a very bad thing as it would be injecting fluid into your intake... I would venture to bet that my catch can would be full after about 5,000 miles or so, if you had someone who was doing 6,000 mile interval oil changes and only emptied the catch can during an oil change, they would be lots of problems...

Remember, GM only cares about your engine until they are no longer liable for it (60,000 miles), no one is going to have a significant coking issue in that time...

I figure every ounce I pour out of my catch can is one less ounce sprayed into my intake and over my hot valves, even if it is only catching 50% of the blow by that doubles the time/mileage before I would possibly experience any coking issue...

Do we NEED one? Nope... Does it help to some degree, yep...

Old 07-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #13
VINCETHEGIANT

Drives: '20 SS/1LE
I'm with the people that plan on keeping their car for a long time so i have a catch can just for my peace of mind...but read what ya want and believe what ya want to. alot of people have cans and i don't think anybody is like mine never catches anything
VINCETHEGIANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:31 PM   #14
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Don't forget, a dirty side catch can requires additional maintenance (emptying it), if it were to fill up full (due to lack of emptying) it would be a very bad thing as it would be injecting fluid into your intake... I would venture to bet that my catch can would be full after about 5,000 miles or so, if you had someone who was doing 6,000 mile interval oil changes and only emptied the catch can during an oil change, they would be lots of problems...

Remember, GM only cares about your engine until they are no longer liable for it (60,000 miles), no one is going to have a significant coking issue in that time...

I figure every ounce I pour out of my catch can is one less ounce sprayed into my intake and over my hot valves, even if it is only catching 50% of the blow by that doubles the time/mileage before I would possibly experience any coking issue...

Do we NEED one? Nope... Does it help to some degree, yep...
If the can fills up and is not emptied, your crankcase won't vent properly and your oil will become contaminated from gas vapors. Ask me how I know.

Read this 2017 post that describes how this happened to me in 200 miles.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=37

In cold climates, water vapor separates quickly causing the catch can to fill with water. The oil loaded up so badly that my eyes burned when I drained it in a closed three car garage.

I will never run a catch can again. More potential for harm than good IMO. The LT1 has been in production seven years. I don't see evidence of a coking problem
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote