Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
But I thought the K&N was the greatest thing since sliced bread?
My car with a k&n would smoke that pos you drive any day of the week so feel free to stfu anytime now. You guys think cai is the shit but really, its garbage. The tube gets hot as hell after only a few minutes of driving. I got one to try it out and i'm not afraid to say it's trash. When you can get a k&n for a $100-150 it's a better investment hands down.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #16
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
My car with a k&n would smoke that pos you drive any day of the week so feel free to stfu anytime now. You guys think cai is the shit but really, its garbage. The tube gets hot as hell after only a few minutes of driving. I got one to try it out and i'm not afraid to say it's trash. When you can get a k&n for a $100-150 it's a better investment hands down.
this thread was started to show DATA not OPINONS and the data shows K&N not to be on the top of the totem pole...hell if you want a bang for your buck then go buy a 4 inch straight tube and a nice filter...then tell me about bang for your buck

and we have the data to show how hot it gets after a few min of driving...have you bothered to datalog?
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #17
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
this thread was started to show DATA not OPINONS and the data shows K&N not to be on the top of the totem pole...hell if you want a bang for your buck then go buy a 4 inch straight tube and a nice filter...then tell me about bang for your buck

and we have the data to show how hot it gets after a few min of driving...have you bothered to datalog?

I clearly said I did a log. 25 mins of driving and the CAI intake tube was hot to the touch, almost hot enough to burn yourself.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #18
1KillerSS

well then what were your IAT temps genius? hot to the touch is relative and you ll want to measure the temp of the air coming into the engine not the tube that is carrying it....if that were the case then GM and all the other brilliant people that tune cars would use a temp probe on the outside of the tube inside the engine compartment to tune with

....all the ones i tested ere plastic tubes anyway
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #19
1KillerSS

hell your TB is hot to the touch man...and your actually telling me that your idea of testing is to get out of the car after 25 min and touching the tube?

i feel like i am feeding a troll here.....

Build thread
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #20
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
When did I say CAI is the shit? Just because I have one on my car doesn't mean I think it's the shit. ADM, CAI, Roto-Fab, Vararam etc are all in the same class. And my car is a POS? At least I have proof of my car on here, and it's getting a cam next month so I'd like to even see you try and beat me. As a side note your lack of punctation and grammar is giving me cancer, so please stop typing like a 5 year old.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #21
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
hell your TB is hot to the touch man...and your actually telling me that your idea of testing is to get out of the car after 25 min and touching the tube?

i feel like i am feeding a troll here.....
You are. Don't even bother.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #22
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
well then what were your IAT temps genius? hot to the touch is relative and you ll want to measure the temp of the air coming into the engine not the tube that is carrying it....if that were the case then GM and all the other brilliant people that tune cars would use a temp probe on the outside of the tube inside the engine compartment to tune with

....all the ones i tested ere plastic tubes anyway
My comments weren't directed towards you.
Ambient temp: 42f
Iat at idle for ~90 seconds 77f
Old 03-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #23
MedicalCowboy
Save lives? Hahahahaha

Drives: An ambulance, a 2ss/rs, x-wing
Quote:
When did I say CAI is the shit? Just because I have one on my car doesn't mean I think it's the shit. ADM, CAI, Roto-Fab, Vararam etc are all in the same class. And my car is a POS? At least I have proof of my car on here, and it's getting a cam next month so I'd like to even see you try and beat me. As a side note your lack of punctation and grammar is giving me cancer, so please stop typing like a 5 year old.
BOOM! Schooled like a boss. MikeyG you're the man.
MedicalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #24
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Its the fact that you're a CAI fanboy. Every thread about an intake you have to comment and say how great the CAI is.. you must be trying to convince yourself that what you bought is the best. By the way, my car is already cammed so... let me know when you're ready to put your money where your mouth is. Who's installing your cam for you?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #25
1KillerSS

at idle for only 90 seconds to have a 35 degree temp difference is climbing pretty high. So how is those of us who are knocking K&N....not getting our point across...i mean to say that your just proving our point here.... i take it by your previous postings that you have a metal tube K&N and your telling me that its hot to the touch and after only 90 seconds there is a 35 degree rise in temp.

thats my exact point i am glad you found the same thing i did

mabey it would help of you just stated in plain english what it is your not in agreement with...CAI systems as a whole? or what? and i am not trying to be an ass here just help me understand what it is that your talking about.

Build thread
Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #26
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
at idle for only 90 seconds to have a 35 degree temp difference is climbing pretty high. So how is those of us who are knocking K&N....not getting our point across...i mean to say that your just proving our point here.... i take it by your previous postings that you have a metal tube K&N and your telling me that its hot to the touch and after only 90 seconds there is a 35 degree rise in temp.

thats my exact point i am glad you found the same thing i did

mabey it would help of you just stated in plain english what it is your not in agreement with...CAI systems as a whole? or what? and i am not trying to be an ass here just help me understand what it is that your talking about.
No, I dont have a k&n on my car. I have a CAI inc intake. My point was that the cai heatsoaks very quickly, possibly even more quickly than the plastic k&n like what I had before.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #27
1KillerSS

Quote:

he sez nothing about the fact that CAI is the shit only that those ones he listed are better than the others ....by my data airaid is better than k&n but my point was only for those that want to know about either of those systems....to let them know what there getting ...i already know by data that i have seen ...and again ill use the above linked thread as an example that the ones he listed are far better than the two i tested

i actually do think CAI is the shit...but i just dont know which is the right system yet..i am clear that the factory box is not it and a homemade one could be a good way to go if your all about fabrication. but then were still talking about CAI arnt we?

Build thread
Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #28
1KillerSS

Quote:
No, I dont have a k&n on my car. I have a CAI inc intake. My point was that the cai heatsoaks very quickly, possibly even more quickly than the plastic k&n like what I had before.

if you have not done side by side comps...or even have data to compare on the two then your just guessing man...and heat soak occurs with every product so whats the point? the difference i noted was how fast the K&N got hot ...not that it got hot...and the dragstrip data shows the same....heatsoak... if your of the opinion that K&N is better than CAI inc then why not go back to it?

so exactly how much quicker does your CAI inc develop heat soak compared to your K&N?

Build thread