Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
From my understanding, a proper tune will improve both your power and MPGs. The stock tune is best for tailpipe emissions (always a trade off for everything). That said remember the stock tune is not the best for any car, it is for the median of what the manufacturer has as the tolerances. Every engine that rolls off the line is slightly different even with today's much tighter tolerances, all the tunes are the same.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
Nycteus

Drives: 2000 Ford Taurus (Vulcan /sadface)
So, with wanting a custom tune for fuel efficiency, would I just walk in to a reputable shop and say "I want a custom tune to maximize fuel efficiency?"

Also, can the stock fuel map be overwritten, or do you have to buy a custom ECM?
Nycteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
I kid I kid
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #18
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycteus View Post
So, with wanting a custom tune for fuel efficiency, would I just walk in to a reputable shop and say "I want a custom tune to maximize fuel efficiency?"

Also, can the stock fuel map be overwritten, or do you have to buy a custom ECM?
yes.....no
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

Exactly... no need for new ECM... just a software load.

We took a Tahoe straight from the dealership because the guy wanted a tune and gained 20 hp and I'm sure much better MPG...

Also, make sure they save your stock tune... if you do have to go back in for warranty work they can put it back on and chances are you won't have any problems... especially since you're not doing extensive mods they won't even look to see if it's ever been tuned.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Exactly... no need for new ECM... just a software load.

We took a Tahoe straight from the dealership because the guy wanted a tune and gained 20 hp and I'm sure much better MPG...

Also, make sure they save your stock tune... if you do have to go back in for warranty work they can put it back on and chances are you won't have any problems... especially since you're not doing extensive mods they won't even look to see if it's ever been tuned.
Mlee, we've covered this many times. GM has a "counter" in the ECM and can tell you how many times and on what date the ECM was reflashed. In order to have any Powertrain warranty paid for by GM, the dealer must submit a copy of the ECM to GM. So once you tune you can't go back, you can only hope you have no powertrain warranty.

That being said, I just love how some guys think that in 2 weeks (the time it took for the first recalibrations to come out after the Camaro launch) somebody can come up with a calibration that is better than GMs engieers take to do in 2 years.

Keep in mind, GM is calibrating the engine for far more conditions, heat, cold, humidity and engine loads, trailering etc. to achieve the best overall BALANCE for FE and emissios. Baker Grade with a trailer on a 110 degree day all the way to a -40 Degree F start in Kapuskasing.

If you knew how much GM is willing to pay for only .1 MPG in any car or truck you would realize this isn't as simple as advertised. So to get 2, 3 or 4 MPG more means you are giving up something that impacts emissions or durability or overall driveability under the full bandwidth of temperatures and humidity that GM wasn't willing to trade off.

The best example I can give you is the GMPP calibration I have in my Sky. It's GM developed and maintains my warranty. But I also know what the tradeoff is for having it. But in Solstice/Sky land, that calibration is farrr to mild.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
This may be an issue, I hadn't thought about it.

My major concern is environmental and America's-Reliance-On-Petroleum that has me leaning towards a more fuel-efficient powerhouse. If everyone does their part, they will convince the auto-makers to adjust their product to support (optimized) E85 or (although a stretch) bio-diesels.
The Camaro SS really is fuel efficient, when you look at the numbers. It may have relatively low MPG ratings, but the power the car produces is astronomical for the relative amount of fuel that it uses.

Look at this comparison for fuel economy numbers:

2010 Ford Mustang (4.0L V6, auto): 16/24
2010 Chevy Camaro SS (6.2L V8, auto): 16/25

The Camaro SS has an extra 190 horsepower over the 2010 Mustang V6 and trumps it by 1 extra mpg on the highway.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
ok a performance tune will add HP/MPG on a stock camaro. i added CAI, headers and a custom tune and that added HP and MPG. best thing for you is get a CAI and a custom tune.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #23
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Mlee, we've covered this many times. GM has a "counter" in the ECM and can tell you how many times and on what date the ECM was reflashed. In order to have any Powertrain warranty paid for by GM, the dealer must submit a copy of the ECM to GM. So once you tune you can't go back, you can only hope you have no powertrain warranty.

That being said, I just love how some guys think that in 2 weeks (the time it took for the first recalibrations to come out after the Camaro launch) somebody can come up with a calibration that is better than GMs engieers take to do in 2 years.

Keep in mind, GM is calibrating the engine for far more conditions, heat, cold, humidity and engine loads, trailering etc. to achieve the best overall BALANCE for FE and emissios. Baker Grade with a trailer on a 110 degree day all the way to a -40 Degree F start in Kapuskasing.

If you knew how much GM is willing to pay for only .1 MPG in any car or truck you would realize this isn't as simple as advertised. So to get 2, 3 or 4 MPG more means you are giving up something that impacts emissions or durability or overall driveability under the full bandwidth of temperatures and humidity that GM wasn't willing to trade off.

The best example I can give you is the GMPP calibration I have in my Sky. It's GM developed and maintains my warranty. But I also know what the tradeoff is for having it. But in Solstice/Sky land, that calibration is farrr to mild.
100% dead on as always... but I never said anything about them not being able to detect a tune and didn't even want to get that one started again... like I said in my first post "if you're not worried about warranty" Should have left it at that.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
swisscheese

Drives: '91 Z28, '11 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn18 View Post
I kid I kid
NOW thats one cool shirt

gone: '10 Camaro SS, LS3, black, iom-stripes, io-interior, custom-shifter, Hotchkis lowering springs, GMPP-mufflers, tinted windows, Vararam-ed and Jannetty-tuned, RX Catch Can

'91 Camaro Z28, 305TPI, black, iom-stripes, some goodies
swisscheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #25
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
The only way that tunning a stock car can produce more HP is by making it burn fuel more efficiently, more efficient fuel burn usually goes hand in hand with better fuel economy, untill you jump on the gas pedal, best of both worlds IMHO, problem is the warranty.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #26
icetre

Drives: Arctic Silver 2011 Camaro 2SS
Why not just buy a second ECM and load the tune on there. Time for engine work, throw the original ecm in.
icetre is offline   Reply With Quote