Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
empirekevin

Drives: 2012 SS Vert
SuperCharger and Exhaust 2012 L99 Vert

New to the forum and am not a mechanic - Just want to gain knowledge so I can purchase the right mods to be installed by someone in my area.

I am in need of opinions for bolt on supercharger parts/kits. I don't want to get into the heads and block at this time. I am reading that LSA and Magnusson seem most prevalent. I believe LSA are the ones installed on the ZL1's so perhaps that is a good option.

I have a Vert and would like to keep a relatively sleeper sound of the exhaust. I also need opinions on exhaust that includes removal of the cat (because I was told the Converter would fail with the supercharger), but still sound quite until you romp on it.

Thank you.
empirekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:20 AM   #2
Big-T

Drives: 2014 2SS
My personal opinion is that the Whipple is the best PD blower option, but from the sound of it you really don't have crazy expectations. What tuners are in your area? I would ask them for advice and go from there. The main deciding factor is on what you want out of the car...

I will say on the exhaust side, though.. I've done catted kooks pipes with stock mufflers on a past corvette, and while I did think it sounded different I was the only one who noticed... Point being, don't fear headers if you want the extra power, and ignore the people who claim you stock cans will kill your power gain.
Big-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
I would look at what your ultimate goal is down the road, and which supercharger will better fit your needs to attain those goals, as far as exhaust almost all the systems for the convertibes are a smaller diameter due to the added bracing underneath
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
Save yourself a grand or two and do the install yourself. See my signature for what I have on my car. Did all the work myself and I'm a backyard mechanic at best. My exhaust sounds awesome when you're really in the throttle, but nice and quiet at normal driving conditions.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
empirekevin

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Expectations: Since it is a vert, I am not gearing this car for the track. The increase I am looking for is more for the red light rendezvous, qtr mile time. It is a daily driver.

What are the most important pieces to support the blower to allow for maximum output? Fuel Pump, Fuel Rails, Pully, etc.... Is a upgraded intercooler needed?

What is the most powerful blower? LSA goes up to 9 PSI vs Mag @ 6 PSI, are there other factors other than PSI to rate the blower with?

As for exhaust, my stock mufflers whistle at cruising RPMs. The flaps must partially open. As long as I can stay in the tune of a stock 15 vet with the loudest exhaust setting, I am fine. Headers sound like a good idea Big-T
Old 01-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
You can keep cats on a supercharged car without worry as long as your tuner can account for COT ( cat over temp). The leaner the air fuel ratio, the hotter the cats get. If your fuel pump setup and injectors are strong enough, more fuel can be used to help cool them without melting. A lot of people remove them and it is easier to tune. User hammdo is very active and knowledgeable about the lsa conversion, he could answer questions about it. You can run way more boost than 6 psi, you just need different pulleys and a belt wide enough so it will not slip. Both superchargers you mentioned are flexible for big power with upgraded components.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Personally if it's in your budget I would go turbo, they're more effecient and produce better power. While some kits are expensive I would look into the Huron speed kit they've been around for a bit and have a good reputation and at the price offered you can't beat it. Just my opinion.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
Personally if it's in your budget I would go turbo, they're more effecient and produce better power. While some kits are expensive I would look into the Huron speed kit they've been around for a bit and have a good reputation and at the price offered you can't beat it. Just my opinion.
That is the kit I am installing! Group buy ends tonight. I already put down my deposit. But op, don't rush into anything, take ur time to decide what's best for you.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Larger fuel injectors, zl1/twin pump, and a good tune are the main items, then if you want more boost look at swapping the pulley, support mods cai,LT headers,exhaust and are you manual or auto? But remember with power you need to be able to get it to the ground, so some suspension and wider tires will go along way.
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #10
empirekevin

Good Info SeaCompiler & MoreAir1