Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Candie
The Go Fahst Girl

Drives: 17 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Candie
Problem with fuel injection system

Anyone else had problem with their fuel injection system on V6? My car ran fine and the all of the sudden it started running rough and died on me. I could start my car but there was such a strong gas smell that it was overpowering and fuel would spew out of the exhaust. The dealership came and picked it up on Monday. I was told yesterday that my whole fuel injection system is jacked up. The service manager said the the system is full of rust... The car is 6 thousand miles on it. Anyone else had this kind of problem?
CMRA Novice #904
Team Chasing Danger #91

"Go FAHST or go Home"
Candie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I've seen it before when I was a tech. The key to know for sure is to take the tank down and shine a flash light in there. If it's full of crud, there is only one explanation. Somehow crud was put in the tank. Most like cause is a gas station.

Ever see the pump running really slow at a gas station? What causes that is their filters are plugged with crap. Whenever you see that, get gas somewhere else.

I'd stop by there and ask to see in the tank, and what type of gunk is in the fuel rail. If it's got a bunch of rusty crud, it probably came from a recent gas fill up. The fuel system is plastics and stainless, if it's full of rust - it came from an external source. Like an old rusty underground tank.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Yep seen this alot in my mechanic dealer days. The stations you see this alot from are the old looking run down types. They rarely cleaned or changed the filters so all the junk ended in your tank.

We use to ask the customer where they normally filled up at and call it in to have them inspected by the local regulators.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
interesting.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Candie
The Go Fahst Girl

Drives: 17 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Candie
I usually always get Chevron gas, but I was in a hurry and used a station that I prolly shouldn't have about 2 days before I had a problem. When it first started acting up my first thought was I got some bad gas, but it just went from bad to worse QUICK. Could all that have happened in 2 days from one bad fill up?
CMRA Novice #904
Team Chasing Danger #91

"Go FAHST or go Home"
Candie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Yes it can happen right away, because the crud sinks, and your fuel pump pickup/strainer are right at the bottom of the tank. As soon as that crud gets in there - it's being pumped into the whole fuel system.

I'd contact that gas station and your insurance company, basically they damaged your car.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
only way to get rust in a new system id through the tank,my guess is your going to be on the hook for that
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote