Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
Rob Camaro

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
GM wireless charging upgrade for iPhone X & 8?

So I’ve been reading that Apple’s IPhone 8 and IPhone X are not compatible with wireless pads in GM vehicles (except for a select few of 2018 models, which Camaro is not one).

I have a wireless pad in my 2017 Camaro 2SS and I ordered an IPhone X, but did so before finding this out. Hmm.

So the topic here in this thread, is do you think GM will make an upgrade kit that we can install or the dealer can install that will work with IPhone X and IPhone 8?

Millions of people will have these phones, I don’t see how GM could not offer an upgrade fix for GM vehicles with incompatible wireless pads.

Thoughts?
Rob Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Camaro View Post
So I’ve been reading that Apple’s IPhone 8 and IPhone X are not compatible with wireless pads in GM vehicles (except for a select few of 2018 models, which Camaro is not one).

I have a wireless pad in my 2017 Camaro 2SS and I ordered an IPhone X, but did so before finding this out. Hmm.

So the topic here in this thread, is do you think GM will make an upgrade kit that we can install or the dealer can install that will work with IPhone X and IPhone 8?

Millions of people will have these phones, I don’t see how GM could not offer an upgrade fix for GM vehicles with incompatible wireless pads.

Thoughts?

I just don’t see GM doing this. They probably have attitude that it’s not their issue that Apples phone doesn’t work. My iPhone 6 works with a Q case I got from Amazon. I would think or could see an outside vendor like Ofer at gen5diy doing a fix, maybe and it’s a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
Rob Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
I just don’t see GM doing this. They probably have attitude that it’s not their issue that Apples phone doesn’t work. My iPhone 6 works with a Q case I got from Amazon. I would think or could see an outside vendor like Ofer at gen5diy doing a fix, maybe and it’s a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that would suck. I hope they can offer a fix of some sort. They offer compatible charging pads in select 2018 models right now, so I’m sure it could be done. Yeah, some aftermarket fix may become available. It would be better if an upgrade can be done at the dealer or something we can change out ourselves.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Rob Camaro

I think I might have found a solution. I found a video on YouTube of a guy with an IPhone X and a GMC and he opened the charger, removed the receiver piece and put it back together and it charged his phone. Probably would work the same on a Camaro. Take a look:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u29igTCTdLM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3AZKlTDnqsU

Last edited by Rob Camaro; 11-14-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
So, he admits he doesn't know what it does, but speculates and just removes a piece of tech that's actually plugged in to the unit and then is good because it works?

You can remove a fused link from an electrical circuit and it will work, that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Qi and PMA, while similar, work in different frequencies. That piece could be some sort of attenuator or frequency barrier put there intentionally to block certain ranges it's not certified to emit or work on. Sure, it could be a booster to help it push the range of the signal through the plastic and up in to the cradle in the console top, but if he's not an EE/RF person or has a how-to written up with solid data, this is speculative and could lead to issue with the powering coils/system or damage to your phone.

Personally, I wouldn't do this to my car w/o knowing more about the design of that charging system.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I just can’t see in everyday driving being able to actually keep my phone on that charging pad . But if you end up doing that feel free to let us know how it worked out.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Rob Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
So, he admits he doesn't know what it does, but speculates and just removes a piece of tech that's actually plugged in to the unit and then is good because it works?

You can remove a fused link from an electrical circuit and it will work, that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Qi and PMA, while similar, work in different frequencies. That piece could be some sort of attenuator or frequency barrier put there intentionally to block certain ranges it's not certified to emit or work on. Sure, it could be a booster to help it push the range of the signal through the plastic and up in to the cradle in the console top, but if he's not an EE/RF person or has a how-to written up with solid data, this is speculative and could lead to issue with the powering coils/system or damage to your phone.

Personally, I wouldn't do this to my car w/o knowing more about the design of that charging system.
I was thinking the same thing after I watched that video again. A better fix could be to get a receiver (the piece he took out) from the parts department for one of the select 2018 GM vehicles that work with iPhone X and replace the old receiver with it. Or if that’s not available, maybe get the entire charger for one of the select 2018 vehicles and just replace the charger itself. Maybe someone with extensive knowledge of wireless charging could chime in.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
megaphone

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
I am interested in this as well, just got the X and want to be able to charge my phone using the charger I've already paid for!
megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
You guys talking about that mini change dish in the backseat?
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
Mr. Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
You guys talking about that mini change dish in the backseat?
Given that I've had a Note 5 and now a Note 8.. Yep... It's just a small utility tray that typically only holds armour all or something else.

My GF has an iPhone8 and we were bummed on trying it on both our 16 SS and 17 ZL1 and neither worked.

Even had the dealer look in to it to see if there was a TSB or something to where they could just change out the whole module... Nothing.

It's not a huge deal for us as she uses CarPlay via cable and has a magnetic case clip on the driver's console vent and I don't much care, so I just plug in when needed.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
Given that I've had a Note 5 and now a Note 8.. Yep... It's just a small utility tray that typically only holds armour all or something else.

My GF has an iPhone8 and we were bummed on trying it on both our 16 SS and 17 ZL1 and neither worked.

Even had the dealer look in to it to see if there was a TSB or something to where they could just change out the whole module... Nothing.

It's not a huge deal for us as she uses CarPlay via cable and has a magnetic case clip on the driver's console vent and I don't much care, so I just plug in when needed.
You guys must be contortionists lmao! I can barely reach back there! My Carplay rarely connects properly (tried several cables, including Apple)). Luckily I bought the car for its performance, not phone sync tech.

/threadjack lol
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
Mr. Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
You guys must be contortionists lmao! I can barely reach back there! My Carplay rarely connects properly (tried several cables, including Apple)). Luckily I bought the car for its performance, not phone sync tech.

/threadjack lol
She is pretty flexible...
Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Has anyone had the console apart and seen if the charging unit can be changed? It might also be possible to deactivate what is there and lay over a newer unit powered off the console USB. These things are dirt cheap.
https://www.ebay.com/i/292166910585?chn=ps&dispctrl=1
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
pkssauce

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Camaro View Post

Thoughts?
I would also mention that millions of people have been using wireless charging phones for years now and the supplied charging pad has been a problem since day one. The technology in the pad is fine, it's a wireless charging standard, the problem is the pad size. They clearly designed the pad 4-5 years ago when phones were smaller, today's phones don't even fit.

For me it was only a minor disappointment as you are required to plug the phone in for AA to work and you get a better quality charge out of that anyways.

TCFCB4
1000: 12/08/2015
2000: 12/08/2015
3000: 12/10/2015
3000: 12/12/2105 - TPW 1/11/2016
3100: 12/18/2015 - TPW 1/18/2016
3300: 12/23/2015 - TPW 1/11/2016
3400: 12/24/2015
3800: 01/19/2016
4300: 01/20/2016, 4200: 1/28/2016, 4300: 1/29/2016, 4B00: 1/30/2016, 4200: 2/7/2016 (train), 4800: 2/19/2016, 5000: 2/22/2016, 6000: 2/25/2016
pkssauce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wireless charging