Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Layoff's at the Lansing plant

The Lansing plant, which has 2,700 workers, will lay off 810 hourly workers and 29 salaried workers effective Jan. 16, 2017. The layoff figure includes more than 300 temporary workers, a GM spokeswoman said.

The Detroit automaker builds the Cadillac ATS, Cadillac CTS and Chevrolet Camaro at Lansing Grand River; days supply of those cars rose to 118, 136 and 138, respectively, at the end of October. That was higher than the month earlier and more than double what the industry considers a healthy days supply to carry.

The Detroit automaker said the production cuts are related to the continued expectation that customers will continue to prefer crossovers and trucks over cars. Sales of all four cars the plants build are down sharply this year through October compared to the same months in 2015.

Source: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...-car/93540444/
---------------------------
My 2 cents.. GM overpriced the 6th gen Camaro to begin with. Sad to see the layoffs.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
That sucks for those that will lose their jobs, GM Overestimated the demand and produced to many
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Bummer...
Old 11-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I'll wait to see what the 6th Gen ZL1 comes in at when it hits the floors soon... if it's priced how they did the 6th Gen SS when it hit the floors, it may keep the GM wow's rolling, and I'll just pour my $$$ in my 1LE.

I would love to just buy a new ZL1... but I won't be shaved, for a lack of a poorer word.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That sucks for those that will lose their jobs, GM Overestimated the demand and produced to many
Yes and no. Inventory levels are a bit high right now (I think 100 days supply at dealerships, compared to the industry target of 60-90 days). And incentives are pretty high as well (corresponding to over-supply).

But there is a lot more at play here.

It was the 3rd shift at the plant. Generally, you only run those if you initially underestimated demand. 2 shifts are considered ideal, striking the the right balance between productivity and headaches.

Going to 3 shifts creates a number of 'secondary' or 'soft' problems -things that are either an annoyance or temporary issue, but not necessarily a deal breaker. A third shift reduces preventative maintenance capacity, has slightly more quality problems, and is at greater risk to supply problems. Accepting those issues for ~50% more production isn't a bad deal, especially if its only a temporary thing (the 3rd shift was hired back in January as I recall). But not really something that you want to pursue perpetually.

And don't forget that demand for the Camaro is very seasonal. Sales slow down quite a bit in the winter and peak in the summer. Its pretty easy to figure that demand in December will only be ~2/3 of demand in August.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
I'll wait to see what the 6th Gen ZL1 comes in at when it hits the floors soon... if it's priced how they did the 6th Gen SS when it hit the floors, it may keep the GM wow's rolling, and I'll just pour my $$$ in my 1LE.

I would love to just buy a new ZL1... but I won't be shaved, for a lack of a poorer word.
?

Pricing has been out for months on the ZL1. The build & price is up on Chevy's website, cars are at dealerships, and a handful are in peoples driveways.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #7
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Going to 3 shifts creates a number of 'secondary' or 'soft' problems -things that are either an annoyance or temporary issue, but not necessarily a deal breaker. A third shift reduces preventative maintenance capacity, has slightly more quality problems, and is at greater risk to supply problems. Accepting those issues for ~50% more production isn't a bad deal, especially if its only a temporary thing (the 3rd shift was hired back in January as I recall). But not really something that you want to pursue perpetually.
These are the same reasons the Bowling Green Corvette plant does not add additional shifts. Training new employees and quality are major issues if similar results can be obtained with OT.
Well Stated.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
sherob

Quote:
?

Pricing has been out for months on the ZL1. The build & price is up on Chevy's website, cars are at dealerships, and a handful are in peoples driveways.
That's funny... I just hit the Chevy site... last week(?) and it still said Coming This Fall(?)"...

I guess the game begins...

Old 11-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #9
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Yes and no. Inventory levels are a bit high right now (I think 100 days supply at dealerships, compared to the industry target of 60-90 days). And incentives are pretty high as well (corresponding to over-supply).

But there is a lot more at play here.

It was the 3rd shift at the plant. Generally, you only run those if you initially underestimated demand. 2 shifts are considered ideal, striking the the right balance between productivity and headaches.

And don't forget that demand for the Camaro is very seasonal. Sales slow down quite a bit in the winter and peak in the summer. Its pretty easy to figure that demand in December will only be ~2/3 of demand in August.
I would say they over estimated demand. Going by what I saw in sales, and from local dealers. They expected them to move faster than they did and yes now with winter coming time to slow production.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
That's funny... I just hit the Chevy site... last week(?) and it still said Coming This Fall(?)"...

I guess the game begins...
If you find this link on pricing please post!
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #11
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I just config'ed a ZL1... over $65k... nothing in my area on a lot...

Website says they start @ $61,140...

Old 11-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-zl1/...n.html#/config

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

No not the demand, they overestimated the pricing. Its now biting the in the axe. They could have done just as well pricing the camaros close to the mustang pricing. Not as big a profit on each car but they would sell more than Mustangs.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote