Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 03-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #127
afterdigital

Drives: CTS 2005
not sure if anyone seen this

..:::CTS-05, Blue-Chip, 3.6VVT, Brushed-Aluminum Moldings, One MIC (Mobile Information Center), Mesh Grill...

..:::Camaro 2008/09 - I'll take mine in black w/Metallic Stripes down the middle

..:::Finished Project

..:::Blog of my project

..:::CTS Car hacking v1.8 Video
afterdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #128
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Yep, .....and there goes Corey's 15 minutes of fame...

Sorry Corey attention spans around here are sometimes a little short.

You still did a great job with the pics, and handling the situation in person. Glad to have you as a member, hope you (or someone else) can find more opportunities to get some more shots. I certainly won't have any around my neck of the woods.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #129
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
that and also there is no skill in driving an auto. manaul is funner and shows if you are a good driver or not
May be the truth but there is no class in saying that...especially the driver part, then again you are the one asking if you should break your car in

Rant over

On a side note, do professional drag racers not "know what they are doing?"
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #130
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Professional drag racing "automatic" transmissions are not even comparable to anything that goes into a production vehicle. Not in the slightest.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #131
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
May be the truth but there is no class in saying that...especially the driver part, then again you are the one asking if you should break your car in

Rant over

On a side note, do professional drag racers not "know what they are doing?"

Really, I want to know what "Drag Racing" has to do with this? I mean, if all you are looking to do is get a car that can run through quarters, then great, but most of us here are looking for a car that will not only have great performance, but be a daily or semi-daily driver. Will some take it to the strip and run it? Absolutely. But, the majority of us won't do that often enough to let the "drag racing performance" dictate the options on the car.

I know you're right....I know a purpose built, racing tranny, automatic will shift faster than any person can shift a manual. But, as it was mentioned, that kind of tranny adds a lot of cost and pretty much makes the vehicle undriveable on a daily basis. So, I don't think that has any bearing on the conversation.

(Continuing with the thread jack), I haven't decided on the tranny yet. I would like a manual 6spd, but I know that it will sometimes seem like a chore. And, I know it will become second nature eventually as well. But, my wife can't drive a manual (and I don't have access to one to teach her how or keep her in practice with doing it). While I'm not buying this car for her to drive regularly, she will drive it far more often than I take it to the drag strip. Paddle shifters....I can take them or leave them. I don't drive with both hands on the wheel and in the "10 and 2" position, so the paddle thing is a little lost on me. I would have to change my driving habits to make it very useful. I just don't know yet.

Last edited by Silverado; 03-13-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #132
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Illusion, please explain the vastly different parts and principles it utilizes that couldn't be added in the aftermarket to a production tranny. Obviously it can't handle the same amount of power, but please, prove it. Track times however at our local track and countless videos of automatics prove that they are faster than almost all people that drive a manual. If not, the person couldn't repeat their results from the manual if their life depended on it.

And if daily driving IS your concern, would that be even a question of which one would be better? Unless you don't plan on driving out of a town of like a few thousand people, the automatic would still win in that category.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #133
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
And if daily driving IS your concern, would that be even a question of which one would be better? Unless you don't plan on driving out of a town of like a few thousand people, the automatic would still win in that category.
First off, I understood what you were saying from your first post, I just wanted to add my perspective. You did, however, clarify what you meant in regards to "feeling better about yourself." Hey, I don't care if you want an auto...to me, it doesn't make a person any more or less of a person to drive an auto OR a manual. Furthermore, maybe it is or isn't really a true musclecar without a manual...who invented the musclecar...let's ask them!

As to your comment above...how do we define better in this case?? Gas mileage?? Ease of driving?? Driving Experience?? To me, a manual would be better! I hate driving automatics...I feel like I'm not doing anything...I feel too uninvolved. But I'll take a wild guess and say 'better' to you would be an auto. That's fine! There's nothing wrong with that...but automatic doesn't just win that 'category' hands down. Someone else said it already...but, To each his/her own You get your auto, I'll get my manual...and no matter what anyone says...we'll still be part of the same brotherhood/sisterhood, we'll all be part of the Camaro family

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #134
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Sorry, Kyle, I didn't really finish my post...got sidetracked here at work...

I agree that for the majority of people driving on the roads, an auto will shift faster than they can. Not to say that with some practice, people can't get better, but even then, there are still missed shifts/mis-shifts/etc. Not with an auto though (okay, one in proper working order anyway).

I'd bet 60% are sold with autos and that number goes up if the paddle shifted version is offered.

While manuals are more fun, they are more work. Just a preference. If you're racing on the street...the Camaro should be able to beat most cars out there with either setup.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #135
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Here's a recent article on LLN.

It's a good article that summarizes *sigh* everything we already know.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-camaro.html

Noteworthy quote:..."Lutz referred to the V8 as "big," lending possible credence to the earlier report of an all-new 6.2L V8."
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #136
Killer CamAro

Drives: 06 cobalt ss, 1968 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
Another thing is this...will the shift points be fully adjustable? Because that would be good too...Just some things to mull over...

Thats what the paddle shifters are for
Old 03-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #137
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
I KNOW SOMEONE ALREADY POINTED OUT THAT THE GAS CAP AND MIRRORS ARE BLK BUT I JUST NOTCIED THE HANDLES. I DONT KNOW IF ANYONE SAW THAT ALREADY. PLEASE DONT MAKE FUN AT ME
Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #138
DILLIGAF

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Rapid Blue
THIS IS MY OPINION:

For the purpose of the production camaro, the 6 Speed manual will be able to shift faster with an experienced driver than the A6. Stock for stock the M6 will beat the A6 in the 1/4 because of less drivetrain loss, all other variables equal. I accept the possibility that the A6 could be very close if not equal.

As far as the drag racing:
Automatics will beat manuals for the simple fact that the drags are run bracket style. they are not straight up. In order to win a bracket style drag race you need to be consistent. there is nothing more consistent than an auto tranny. period!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #139
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Nice posts everyone, I am just trying to represtent the side of this argument that doesn't ever seem to have a majority of people on their sides (and i like to argue ). Anyways, another reason I am getting an auto is because my parents are going to be the primary drivers (not really but for insurance sake thats what theyll be called), nonetheless, they will be driving the car and asking my mom to drive a manual on a brand new car, lol, yeah not going to do that.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #140
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Quote:
Nice posts everyone, I am just trying to represtent the side of this argument that doesn't ever seem to have a majority of people on their sides (and i like to argue ). Anyways, another reason I am getting an auto is because my parents are going to be the primary drivers (not really but for insurance sake thats what theyll be called), nonetheless, they will be driving the car and asking my mom to drive a manual on a brand new car, lol, yeah not going to do that.
I don't give a damn if some one drives and Auto or a Manual. I was just simply pointing out the fact that you can not compare a dragster's automatic to an everyday automatic.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote