Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Greetings Gents

Evening Gents,

Just picked up a 2012 SS over here in the NW Burbs of Chicago.

Was driving a 2005 Saturn Ion Redline and was big in to the tuning and modding scene with that car. Particularly in the tuning area, though far from an expert. My Redline was nothing special, but out of that little 2.0 I was dynoing at just under 270 whp with mild mods and was a member of the Midwesterm Council of Sports Car Clubs and a regular Time Attack/High Speed Autocross participant for 3 years. I met a lot of people out there in my red Saturn, so if anyone remembers me from the events and happens to be on here, "Howdy!"

Alas, the old Satty blew up on me Friday evening, worst of all, it blew while doing a calm 35mph following a nice old lady in a Buick. Blew a spark plug out of the block, ripped apart cyl #3 and just decided to move up to a car that I had been after since I was 14.

Loving the new SS so far, taking some time to get used to the massive difference in the cars. I had driven Camaros all my life, but none were very fast. Torque on this thing is nutty compared to what I was used to, and feels like it's effortlessly blasting to 70mph, vs reving that 2L to 7400 rpms and praying for more boost.

Not big in to drag racing, but appreciate a good track day, but the road courses give me a complete buzz.

Look forward to learning some odds and ends and contributing what I can, and maybe see some of ya'll out at a track day somewhere!
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Welcome to Camaro5
Old 10-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
welcome
Old 10-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Hey Chris! I remember you for the Redline forums! I was Blubatmobile. We worked together on getting you some 91 octane scans for your Sp00n tunes! Welcome into a whole new realm of power. The power these cars can produce is ridiculous.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
Welcome to Camaro5!
31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wives', husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
welcome
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Welcome to Camaro5

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ner View Post
Evening Gents,

Just picked up a 2012 SS over here in the NW Burbs of Chicago.

Was driving a 2005 Saturn Ion Redline and was big in to the tuning and modding scene with that car. Particularly in the tuning area, though far from an expert. My Redline was nothing special, but out of that little 2.0 I was dynoing at just under 270 whp with mild mods and was a member of the Midwesterm Council of Sports Car Clubs and a regular Time Attack/High Speed Autocross participant for 3 years. I met a lot of people out there in my red Saturn, so if anyone remembers me from the events and happens to be on here, "Howdy!"

Alas, the old Satty blew up on me Friday evening, worst of all, it blew while doing a calm 35mph following a nice old lady in a Buick. Blew a spark plug out of the block, ripped apart cyl #3 and just decided to move up to a car that I had been after since I was 14.

Loving the new SS so far, taking some time to get used to the massive difference in the cars. I had driven Camaros all my life, but none were very fast. Torque on this thing is nutty compared to what I was used to, and feels like it's effortlessly blasting to 70mph, vs reving that 2L to 7400 rpms and praying for more boost.

Not big in to drag racing, but appreciate a good track day, but the road courses give me a complete buzz.

Look forward to learning some odds and ends and contributing what I can, and maybe see some of ya'll out at a track day somewhere!
Greetings Sp00ner,

Welcome to C5 and congrats on your 2012 SS! Great to hear that you're enjoying it! How many compliments have you received?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Sp00ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
Hey Chris! I remember you for the Redline forums! I was Blubatmobile. We worked together on getting you some 91 octane scans for your Sp00n tunes! Welcome into a whole new realm of power. The power these cars can produce is ridiculous.
Ha! What's up bud? Still got the HPT set, so you know it's only a matter of time before I start hooking it up and 'looking' at things.

I've really babied the Camaro so far, been wet, rainy and a bit cold here. It's funny, in a lot of ways the Camaro doesn't... not sure what the right word is here, as I dont want people to take it the wrong way... it sorta doesnt feel as fast as I'd think coming from the Satty, since seems like it just doesnt have to try as hard to launch you in to the seat. Maybe that makes sense to you at least, as you had an LSJ, but there was no mistaking when you were going hard on that thing since the blower was absolutely screaming loud as you're reaching 7500rpms.

Camaro is far faster, no doubt, it's completely perception of the low rumbling V8 vs the high strung LSJ. Also, some fond memories of that little trooper. Glad to find out tonight that the dealer is replacing the motor and someone else will get a Redline with a strong motor again.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
Sp00ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Greetings Sp00ner,

Welcome to C5 and congrats on your 2012 SS! Great to hear that you're enjoying it! How many compliments have you received?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Plenty! It really is a gorgeous car.

Though, by the end of the week the people at work will likely want to choke me if I don't shut up about it.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Ha! What's up bud? Still got the HPT set, so you know it's only a matter of time before I start hooking it up and 'looking' at things.

I've really babied the Camaro so far, been wet, rainy and a bit cold here. It's funny, in a lot of ways the Camaro doesn't... not sure what the right word is here, as I dont want people to take it the wrong way... it sorta doesnt feel as fast as I'd think coming from the Satty, since seems like it just doesnt have to try as hard to launch you in to the seat. Maybe that makes sense to you at least, as you had an LSJ, but there was no mistaking when you were going hard on that thing since the blower was absolutely screaming loud as you're reaching 7500rpms.

Camaro is far faster, no doubt, it's completely perception of the low rumbling V8 vs the high strung LSJ. Also, some fond memories of that little trooper. Glad to find out tonight that the dealer is replacing the motor and someone else will get a Redline with a strong motor again.
Ha, ya man. What you're feeling there is a fat ass car! Lol! The Camaros are very heavy. The best way to relieve that is to put a 3.91 in the ass end. That is a GM upgrade that is stock in the 1LE Camaros. It has a torque manipulation of like 23% or something, so it feels like you gained about 80ft/lb of torque. Definitely makes the car feel lighter. Did you get manual or auto? Ya, I still have my HPT box. I was working on a lot of stock tunes for this car, then when I got cammed, I took it in to be done since I had never worked on something with internal work before and didnt want the $40k car to be the first. Lol! If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. Ive had mine since '10 so I know my way around it pretty well. Also, I found the guy a couple years ago that has my Redline. He sent me a FB message the other day saying he is going to sell it and was wondering if I wanted it back. I kinda do. Lol!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Welcome to the obsession!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Plenty! It really is a gorgeous car.

Though, by the end of the week the people at work will likely want to choke me if I don't shut up about it.
Great to hear about the compliments. While we definitely want you to continue enjoying your vehicle, please try not to get choked .

Happy driving,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote